Sending Chili Paste To The Uk

Captain Haddock

I would like to send some chili paste to the UK. Am I allowed to do this regarding the Thai and UK Customs Laws? I know there's a ban on anything dairy, but how about posting what is effectively just crushed chili and some herbs? Assuming it is sealed and correctly labelled... Anyone Know about this?

Sorry, I can't say for sure if it's legal or not, but what's the worst that can happen??? I can hardy see someone from customs coming round and knocking on the door of the receiver (or sender) asking for an explanation before carting them off. Last year I posted similar items back for a friends Thai G/F, probably 4 or 5 lots of mixes and spices, they all got home, no problem.

Edited by thecatman

I've regularly had all kinds of food sent to me in the UK, from Malaysia.

What I've found works, is to use the Malaysian Postal Service (Pos Malaysia) and use the Sea Mail service (this is the cheapest). Further, sea mail from Malaysia is less than half the price of the same from Thailand.

On the customs form I just state something generic that explains the contents, but be careful about using prohibited goods. Even if you are sending these, it may be prudent to "abstract specifics" - but don't be so abstract as to state "food", as that may draw unwanted attention.

Never had any problems, the box has never been opened and never had a shipment missing. Have had over 20 boxes sent.

I once use the Thai Postal service, and equally no problems, but for nearly 10 Kg, I think I was charged over 2K baht (and that was 4 years ago). For a similar weight from Malaysia it is around 80 RM or 800 baht (and that was this year)!

If you send by Sea Mail it will be delivered by ParcelForce in the UK. Pos Malaysia also have good remote customer support - you can call or email them and they speak good English. In my opinion worth making a trip to Padang Besar, by train, just for this - there is a Post Office there ! When I was last in Bangkok, I did this and the money saved in post paid for my train ticket to Malaysia and back !

HTH

PS if you use a courier they will typically try and stiff you on import duty, as they get a kick back and (over)charge for handling this for you. With the post office this has never been an issue.

I am aware that the postage cost might be prohibitive.

My wife is of the opinion that the chilis in the UK will be different from the chilis she uses here.

Can anyone tell me if it is legal to send chili paste to the UK, please?

My wife gets a food parcel every month gets thorugh unchecked most of the time, only twice been opened by customs nothing removed normal contents:

Dried Fish, nam prik (chilli paste) , dried chillies, packaged items. the general rule of thumb with Uk customs is if its been processed its ok. fresh meay is a no no