Taxi Fares May Rise

george

Taxi fares may rise

BANGKOK: -- Bangkokians will have to pay 11 per cent higher on average as taxi fares, if Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri approves the fare increase Thursday.

Acting Land Transport Department director-general Chairat Sanguansue said the minister will weigh two options: First, the first 2km fare is maintained at Bt35 but the rates for subsequent distance is raised 50 satang to Bt1 per km. Second, the first 2km fare is Bt40, but the subsequent rate is raised at only 50 satang per km.

Songsak said he would discuss with Transport Minister Santi Prompat on the fare hikes, before issuing the ministerial regulations to validate the increase.

-- The Nation 2008-10-11

Is it just me or is the English unclear?

Looks pretty clear to me (I think) except for the "is raised at only 50 satang per km". I think they meant "remains" at only 50 satang per km.

(They are talking about the first 2kms being Bt35 total, correct ? Not Bt35 per km for the first 2 kms ?)

Lets say you are going 5kms at the current rate.

First 2kms is Bt35, and the next 3kms would be Bt1.5 (at 50 satangs per km). Total = Bt36.5

Rate Option A: Bt35 for the first 2kms, and Bt3 for the next 3kms (at Bt1 per km). Total = Bt38

Rate Option B: Bt40 for the first 2kms, and Bt1.5 for the next 3kms (at 50 satangs per km). Total = Bt41.5

A 10km trip ?

Current Rate: Bt 39

Rate Option A: Bt 43

Rate Option B: Bt 44

Hmmm, lets see. Swampy to Pattaya, say 120kms ?

Option A = 153 baht

Option B = 99 baht ! :o

What do you think the chances are of that ever happening ? :D

The taxi fare hike is long overdue. I'll bet the govt (both Bangkok and Central) is getting nervous about spreading petrol strikes by lorry drivers and the like..

I thought the fare was about THB6 per km (after the first 2 kms).... still only about 8% of the fare in my country :o

Something in your calculations must be off, I pay on average 200+tollway per trip @ 2 per day, and it's from downtown to semi-suburb, some 30km away.

Quite possibly. I haven't taken a taxi in Bkk since '93 (and that was an unmetered one) ! :o

(I was just using the figures noted in the news article)

Even if the initial 2kms were 35 baht per (70 baht total) and the next 28 were the (current ?) rate of 50 satang/km, that would equal about 84 baht (less tolls) for a one-way trip. (200 baht for 30kms works out to a little over 6.5 baht/km)

Are you jumping in the first available cab and heading to the 'burbs with the meter running, or do you negotiate the fare ahead of time ?

BANGKOK: -- Bangkokians will have to pay 11 per cent higher on average as taxi fares, if Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri approves the fare increase Thursday.

Acting Land Transport Department director-general Chairat Sanguansue said the minister will weigh two options: First, the first 2km fare is maintained at Bt35 but the rates for subsequent distance is raised 50 satang to Bt1 per km. Second, the first 2km fare is Bt40, but the subsequent rate is raised at only 50 satang per km.

The article is of course idiotic (well, not complete).

Right now, the fare is of course ALREADY higher than 50 satang per km ! 4,50 THB per 2 km.

What Nation wants to say : they are planning an increase of 50 satang to 1 THB, on top of the current fare.

Look at the first version (they are talking about those 2 options, with some changes, since.... december 2007).

http://thaicrisis.wordpress.com/2007/12/06...is-fares-10-or/

but the rates for subsequent distance is raised 50 satang to Bt1 per km.

but the subsequent rate is raised at only 50 satang per km.

Is it just me or is the English unclear?

Sorry, I don't get it.

1. The rate is raised by 50 satang to 1 baht

2. The rate is raised "only" 50 satang.

Is there a difference?

EDIT: Not (in) the Nation. The BKK Post is more specific.

Edited by Rajah

Has anyone notice a taxi shortage in Bangkok lately? Unless current economic pressures are pushing taxi drivers away for driving taxis towards something else more profitable, any increase in fares is just as likely to put more taxis on the road. The people who will gain most for this will be the taxi owners. However, if drivers are really getting out of the taxi business, a fare hike maybe needed, but I havin’t had a problem getting a taxi lately.

The Bangkok taxi market is one of the few functioning markets in Thailand, if only everything here was as efficient.

Hopefully this will clarify the monetary aspects of the increase...

Transport approves rise in taxi fares

The Transport Department has approved a 12 to 14% rise in fares for metered taxis in the Bangkok area, but no date has been fixed for the increase. This is less than the 20% increment demanded by taxi operators. Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri said the flagfall will remain at 35 baht, but will include only the first kilometre of travel instead of the first two kilometres. The fare will be five baht a kilometre between the second and the 12th kilometres, 5.50 baht a kilometre between the 12th and 20th kilometres, six baht a kilometre between the 20th and 40th kilometres, 6.50 baht a kilometre between the 40th and 60th kilometres, 7.50 baht a kilometre between the 60th and 80th kilometres and 8.50 baht a kilometre beyond that. He will submit the new fares today to Transport Minister Santi Promphat, who will have a ministerial order issued to make the rates effective.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/12Jun2008_news05.php

Taxi fares may rise

Songsak said he would discuss with Transport Minister Santi Prompat on the fare hikes, before issuing the ministerial regulations to validate the increase.

-- The Nation 2008-10-11

In my neck of the woods ( ok it,s not Thailand but it,s a good idea. ) they,ve refused to put fares up and instead have applied a flat 50 pence ( approx 30 baht ) per fare surcharge to off set rising costs.

This cuts out metering changes Ahem and allows for it to be flexible Up or Down and they can cancel it should the prices warrant it in the future.

I hate to say it, but i cannot see a fair and honest application being done in such a way to satisfy both the driver and the customer, in many cases here, especially at the airports.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Has anyone notice a taxi shortage in Bangkok lately?

Very much not so.

They seem to be so well payed that the prefer to only work part-time and happily turns down trips that is outside the absolute inner center. So one always have to ask a handful or more taxi's before one gets a ride.

Very much different from other places I've been with. Actually, Thailand is for me the only place where a cab-driver has denied a trip that was inside the city limits on the terms that it is too far.

Some drivers are awful, some drivers are good.

The fare is small and has stayed at the same rate for many years despite large increases in living costs. The prices should go up. A 10% rise will still leave a cheap fare whilst giving the drivers a chance for a slightly better standard of living.

they should raise the fares more. It will destroy demand and force people onto public transport where taxi's and public transport competes.

It will move taxi's away from the main artery's of downtown BKK, where the contribute most to congestion, and to the suburbs, which are underserviced by most forms of transport.

Has anyone notice a taxi shortage in Bangkok lately? .

Actually now that you mention it, yes I have noticed either fewer taxis - or maybe just fewer 'available' taxis. Maybe some of the drivers have gone home to grow rice as a cash-crop (though funny how fast the rice thing went from crisis to non-crisis, wasn't it?)

Edited by thaigene2

In fairness, I think a moderate fare rise is warrented. After all it has been the same now for at least 6 to 8 years. I only hope that with the extra money many taxi drivers could pay for (a) safe driving courses (:o a course in good manners, decency and courtesy, aggression control © the other half of their brain.

they should raise the fares more. It will destroy demand and force people onto public transport where taxi's and public transport competes.

It will move taxi's away from the main artery's of downtown BKK, where the contribute most to congestion, and to the suburbs, which are underserviced by most forms of transport.

A fair suggestion, if there was any public transportation to talk about.

Apart from the BTS, private vans and taxi's are the only way.

Taxi fares in BKK were 35 baht for first 2 kilometers and then 5.5 baht per kilometere upto 30 km. I never used taxi for more than 30km so I cant comment on fares after that.

I think it should have been 40 baht for first two km and then 6 baht for each kilometer. Makes it easy to pay money, even if you dont have enough coins with you.

If you look at taxi fares in Ho Chi Minh, you would realize that BKK is still heaven. It starts from 12,000 VND (~24 baht) for first 1.2 km and then 10,000 vnd (~20 baht) per km later on. Singapore is also expensive. If you take taxis in KL in odd timings, like early mornings or late in the nights, then you have to bargain.

Moral: BKK is still heaven. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Question......

Are taxi fares going up or not??????

I have not noticed ANY increase at all over the last week and was expecting to see them?

Can anyone elaborate?

The increase has been decided.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/pag...amp;id=30075874

We just wait for the official publication in Royal Gazette.

Hi Thanks for your response. Yes I had read that too - however from the extract below - I had understood 'later this week' to mean week ending Fri 20th June...... hence my question! :o We are now 26th June and my taxi fares have NOT yet gone up! Not that I am complaining - just wondering when/if! :D :D

Taxi fare to rise 12 per cent this week

Published on Jun 18, 2008

The Transport Ministry has approved the increase of taxi charges which will take effect upon publishing in the Royal Gazette, scheduled for later this week, Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri said on Wednesday.