Forgot To Make My 90 Day Report To Immigration

No berating or belittling please, I've been here long enough and should know better - there have been ongoing distractions!

Checking my passport this morning for another reason brought to light that I should have reported to immigration 7 (yes, seven) weeks ago.

I am on a Non-Imm O marriage/family based visa, I'm in Chiang Mai and I have no blackmarks (that I am aware of). What should I expect when I roll up at the immigration offices?

JxP

No berating or belittling please, I've been here long enough and should know better - there have been ongoing distractions!

Checking my passport this morning for another reason brought to light that I should have reported to immigration 7 (yes, seven) weeks ago.

I am on a Non-Imm O marriage/family based visa, I'm in Chiang Mai and I have no blackmarks (that I am aware of). What should I expect when I roll up at the immigration offices?

JxP

Normally a 2,000 baht fine.

One time I was fined, but last week I was smiled at leaving Suwannaphum and told to have a great trip! Depends on the winds of fate and the mood of the Gods! Good luck and remember that acceptance is the key to happiness!

One time I was fined, but last week I was smiled at leaving Suwannaphum and told to have a great trip! Depends on the winds of fate and the mood of the Gods! Good luck and remember that acceptance is the key to happiness!

I think that you may be referring to an overstay rather than reporting late on a 90 day notification but thank you for the good wishes!

JxP

500 baht a day fine and/or death by hanging :o

You've got to be kidding?! B24,500?! I might take my chances with the hanging!

Seriously, are you sure about this? I am not talking about an overstay, I am late making my 90 day notification on a current one year non-imm O visa.

JxP

2k has been the normal fine - but law allows 5k plus 200 baht per day.

Thank you Lopburi, that sounds more like it. I know most of the faces at the Chiang Mai office and I do a good line in polite crawling to members of officialdom so, fingers crossed, I hope to be looking at the "normal" fine. (I understand what Gary A meant now.)

JxP

Edited by JuniorExPat

The law:

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be

punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for

each day which passes until the law is complied with.

The law:
Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be

punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for

each day which passes until the law is complied with.

Excellent, now I know exactly where I stand. You are a gem lopburi3, thank you.

I'm hoping for B2,000 but prepared for B15,000. :o

JxP

Edited by JuniorExPat

From what I've seen in the past, the boys at Immigration look at the last time I entered Thailand, especially when I open it to that page, and then they start counting. Never saw them refer their database. Just a hypothetical question. What if you were to cross into Burma and return with a new entry stamp? Do you think they would look far enough back to figure out you were already late on reporting or would they do the simple math?

I've heard of somebody who tore that 90 day reporting paper slip out of his passport and had no problems at all - no charge. (This is probably / possibly illegal however and I'm not suggesting that you do the same. I certainly wouldn't.)

I've also heard that on 12 month nonB with work permit some people get the paper put in, and some do not, thus the immigration officials themselves are somewhat confused and don't ask questions if they don't see the paper slip.

Caveat; On visa issues I'd always suggest taking Lopburi's advice, not mine.

Just the 2nd of this month, I left the country on a short trip via Suwannaphum. As has been my custom for the last six years, I removed the 90 day reporting slip from my passport before reaching immigration, and it was never missed. I am just curious as to whether they will ever ask for it.

Having said that, reporting one's address every 90 days after arriving in the country is the law, and I am careful to observe my obligation under that law.

Besides, one never knows when they will decide to start enforcing this at the borders.

One of my friends got this trouble in Chiang Mai, (1 month late), it was 500 Bahts/day plus one way to burma to get a new visa N.Immigrant.

You are talking about overstay of visa - this thread is talking about 90 day address reports that are made when you are on an extension of stay.

I once was 30 days late because of a mix-up on the date I was to report, and was told I had to pay 5,000 baht. I didn't have the cash on me and ran to the atm to withdraw the funds, when I returned they let me by with only paying 3,000 baht. I believe the maximum fine is 5,000 baht although I may be wrong about that. Needless to say, I haven't been late since as I don't think having late reportings will bode well towards future visas, but from what I understand once is ok. Good luck.

In Chiang Mai the red rubber stamp they use to print the check back in date was rolled to the side making it look like 15 instead of 5, so I showed up 10 days late.

They noticed I was late and when I realized what had happened I started to get a bit excited. The girl/woman looked up and gave a bit of a smile and put her finger to her lips.

I went silent and she just processed me as though I was on time.

I've never had anything but smiles and good service from the 90 check in folks.

I was thinking I had to report on the 14th this month in Chiangmai, and found out last monday, the 9th, that it had actually been the previous Sat, the 7th. Went in early Tuesday, told the girls I was late, they smiled, processed the paper work, and I was on my way in fifteen or twenty minutes. No fine no lecture... The 90 day reporting is a requirement but it isn't in the same league with an overstay, since you are still in the country legally. Be interested in hearing how it goes for you.

...90 days address is not immigration, but police, the cost is 2,000 Bahts in Chiang Mai. And not a big trouble...

I always appreciate it when people make an effort to use the correct terminology regarding visa and immigration matters. I do not know what is written on the building in Chiangmai where you made your last 90-day address report. Immigration is a division of the Royal Thai Police and therefore one could say that you make the 90-day report to the immigration police, but people usually say immigration office, a term also used on the address report form, ie form TM.47 “form for alien to notify of staying longer than 90 days”:

– “To the immigration officer “

– “Notice: Alien must notify the immigration office every 90 days”

– “Signature Immigration Officer”

--

Maestro

Just the 2nd of this month, I left the country on a short trip via Suwannaphum. As has been my custom for the last six years, I removed the 90 day reporting slip from my passport before reaching immigration, and it was never missed. I am just curious as to whether they will ever ask for it.

Having said that, reporting one's address every 90 days after arriving in the country is the law, and I am careful to observe my obligation under that law.

Besides, one never knows when they will decide to start enforcing this at the borders.

Nice topic, success for the OP, forgot twice (untill now) and always got away with a fine of 2000 Baht (in Pattaya) i was around 30 days overdue.... keep smiling :o

For the quote of RickFalang, 90 days after arriving in the country, iam not sure, as i left the country last week, asked for a re-entry stamp at pattaya immigration, and they gave me the paper in the back of my pasport that i have to report next month (also got a new pasport, so the paper got lost with the old pasport) seems that with me they looked at the last time i reported to immigration, not when left/entered the country....

Peter