Deep Depression Returning Home

whitethai

I have deep depression returning home back in late January to UK after 9 months in Thaliand.

I do not know what to do?

I miss Thailand so much and really really hate it here back in UK. First day I got back waiting at a bus stop I had a kid in a car shout wanke_r at me.

I am not in my home town and in a really unfriendly place Poole Bournemouth.

Just got job.

Please any ideas how I can generate income in Thailand Pattaya or Bangkok?

Thanks

I have deep depression returning home back in late January to UK after 9 months in Thaliand.

I miss Thailand so much and really really hate it here back in UK. First day I got back waiting at a bus stop I had a kid in a car shout wanke_r at me.

Just got job.

Thanks

OK.

1. Get an MBA at a reputable school, get transferred over as an expat or knock on doors in Bangkok, degree in hand.

2. Get any degree and a TEFL certificate, teach English at second-rate schools.

3. Get degree in Education, teach in UK schools, get certified, teach in an international school in Thailand.

4. Learn web programming or other in-demand IT skill you can use remotely, get a customer base, work remotely from Thailand.

5. Find buyers in UK for Thai products, export from Thailand.

6. Create or buy a website with good traffic and live off ad revenue.

7. Learn building and tradesman skills, start a construction company in Thailand.

8. Save enough to buy an established business in Thailand.

9. Save and invest in the share markets, live off income and capital gains.

Or, like many people, you can just enjoy the UK, a wonderful, partly civilized country rich in history; catch up on your reading at the many libraries, visit the countless cultural sites, many of which you've never seen. Have you yet visited, for example, the beautiful North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty? Make friends at the pubs and discuss all-important footie, compare bald heads and tattoos, eat good curry and chinkie, enjoy a full range on the telly, get very fast internet, drink lots of fine ales and lagers, find a nice "bird."

And every day you should read all the complaints about Thailand right here on TV. :o Be thankful you weren't electrocuted like that poor sod in Pattaya recently.

Edited by JSixpack

. First day I got back waiting at a bus stop I had a kid in a car shout wanke_r at me.

I really shouldn't laugh, but this had me in hysterics

Thanks

OK.

1. Get an MBA at a reputable school, get transferred over as an expat or knock on doors in Bangkok, degree in hand.

3. Get degree in Education, teach in UK schools, get certified, teach in an international school in Thailand.

Are you being serious, have you read any of his previous posts?

4 compare bald heads and tattoos,

Equally funny, thanks

If you really want to come live in Thailand you will find a way, but be sensible about it. Thailand isn't going anywhere so make sure you come prepared to live here or you won't last long. Don't just accept coming here on any terms, but make sure it will work long-term.

This is just my view, but I believe that you need to be at peace with where you are now before you can really be at peace somewhere else - although I am sure that people will disagree with me.

Finally, Thailand is like everywhere else that people live and the the holiday buzz soon leaves when you need to make a living year in and year out. Living in Thailand is not without its problems -trust me.

Good luck.

You do not say how old you are and what you do for a living.

I am making the big assumption that you are young and have relatively little money/capital.

As such I would try and get in to a profession where you can work for say 6 months and spend the other six months in Thailand.

It is actually really easy to live frugally in UK if you cut out the nonsense like blowing £100 on a Friday night drinking in nightclubs and picking up some fat slapper.

Example a young guy (28) I know is a qualified accountant. He stays here are always temp accountancy jobs. He works 2 jobs, accountancy during the day, cabbing at night for six months to give him six months in Thailand.

Just an idea.

The magic of thailand,OR the magic of a sexy lady awaits lol.After living here,retired,for 5 years i dont think i could live here and have to work,too many distractions.I would have still worked in the uk and saved more money and retired later in life.

I thought Bournemouth was full of Scousers on the dole, at least during the summer.

No thats bognor or skegness working at Butlins

PS i like scousers really like you know,

like you know what I meeeen like :o

Edited by colino

I am making the big assumption that you are young and have relatively little money/capital.

As such I would try and get in to a profession where you can work for say 6 months and spend the other six months in Thailand.

It is actually really easy to live frugally in UK if you cut out the nonsense like blowing £100 on a Friday night drinking in nightclubs and picking up some fat slapper.

Example a young guy (28) I know is a qualified accountant. He stays here are always temp accountancy jobs. He works 2 jobs, accountancy during the day, cabbing at night for six months to give him six months in Thailand.

Just an idea.

I am 45

I was nine months in Thailand

I nearly got married to Thai fgirl es I know dont marry them I kept hearing

No I really hate UK now I have seen Asia

I am a humble cleaner

P.S it takes 3 years at least to get English degree then some experience so that s out My broter is a English teacher so I know so that option is out I cannot wait do three years.

Just got job.

Thanks

OK.

4. Learn web programming or other in-demand IT skill you can use remotely, get a customer base, work remotely from Thailand.

5. Find buyers in UK for Thai products, export from Thailand.

6. Create or buy a website with good traffic and live off ad revenue.

7. Learn building and tradesman skills, start a construction company in Thailand.

8. Save enough to buy an established business in Thailand.

9. Save and invest in the share markets, live off income and capital gains.

Or, like many people, you can just enjoy the UK, a wonderful, partly civilized country rich in history; catch up on your reading at the many libraries, visit the countless cultural sites, many of which you've never seen. Have you yet visited, for example, the beautiful North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty? Make friends at the pubs and discuss all-important footie, compare bald heads and tattoos, eat good curry and chinkie, enjoy a full range on the telly, get very fast internet, drink lots of fine ales and lagers, find a nice "bird."

And every day you should read all the complaints about Thailand right here on TV. :o Be thankful you weren't electrocuted like that poor sod in Pattaya recently.

I tried the replica handbag stuff I got banned from Eb*y

Hmmm. Making money in Thailand is tough. I've never managed it. If you have no skills and no capital then impossible.

Your only option is to live cheap work and save. Must be lots of taxi work and bar jobs in Bournemouth over the summer.

Summer working in Bournemouth winter living it up in Thailand. Not so bad.

Try Pattaya Revealed forum. Lots of guys over there trying to square this circle.

Just got job.

You could try a PM to "Unhappyfarang" - he is also having problems adjusting to UK

Thanks

I am 45

P.S it takes 3 years at least to get English degree then some experience so that s out My broter is a English teacher so I know so that option is out I cannot wait do three years.

In 3 years you'll be 48 and should have at least another 20 years ahead of you. That's not a bad age to be moving to Thailand--lots of these old geezers in Thailand moved here after retirement at 65 or so.

I can understand the desire to live in Thailand but not the obsession. It really ISN'T paradise. I'd advise you first to achieve peace of mind in the UK lest you just bring your problem with you if and when you move to Thailand.

Just an idea.

I am 45

I was nine months in Thailand

I nearly got married to Thai fgirl es I know dont marry them I kept hearing

No I really hate UK now I have seen Asia

I am a humble cleaner

If you are serious about coming to Thailand you will do what you need to do in whatever time it takes. To say that you cannot wait makes you sound too impulsive. Life can be good in Thailand, but it is no magic cure to life's problems. You really need to sit down and look at the reasons you are attracted to Thailand and hate your own country. Hopefully there will be more to it than the women and enjoying the holiday buzz.

You are looking for the quick fix. Plan and do it well with the 9 months of experience you earned.

-Endure the pain for the sake of gain. Make some money in the UK, save and invest in some well researched opportunities, shares or commodities.

-Sharpen your Educational skills even a course in TEFL ( $200 or less) from i-to-i (UK) which can bring you supplementary income from teaching conversation. 4 hrs a day x 500 baht should cover cost of living. Room, food, everyday stuff.

-Plan a cleaning company along with the lady you love or want to make a partner. She must also love you in order for this to work. Ways to check. Make a small business plan. 10 houses a week, an office , a bank contract, etc.... You know your business better than I do. Make a plan. Follow thru!

-Like others suggested find a product which will export and make an income. It doesn't have to be UK bound. Small simple and easy to deal with. Contact or research the net for prospective buyers.

-Housing is reasonable in Sattahip at 500,000 baht for a small, but nice house with space for company equipment. New wife can finance under the company. I know it takes time to make sure she is the right girl, honest, etc....

-Transport is easy a second hand Nissan pickup is cheap. Can have wife sell sticky rice and grilled pork near a school while you teach, load the cleaning equipment up and do the contracts, then home to start the same drill again tomorrow. Both are busy and happy.

-Visa will be covered by marriage and company. Pay tax and you can stay.

Painful as it is to be back in the UK use the time for long term planning. Make a list, check it, revise, take action, follow through, start saving, keep up to date on opportunities in the region, don't just be depressed and feel sad. Get up and do something about it!

-Plan you social life carefully. 1 night a week out suggested. Make rules for yourself and stand by them regardless. Other will want you to break the rules only so you can suffer along with them. Have fun, cal lit a night go home, hit the sack and have a good family life. You are not a young man anymore.

-Get good insurance policy for you and your better. TV offers some good options.

-Research this TV site for more knowledge.

-Make a resume and get it out to as many companies as possible. Never know. You just might get lucky.

Just my 10 baht worth of advice. :o

Good luck! Keep us posted.

:D

Edited by ilyushin

Post Thailand Depression (PTD). I've suffered PTD myself, and, of course, it involves a Thai woman. As someone has already said, it subsides with time. As someone else said, try to keep a sense of reality. It's not easy, and there's no pharmaceuticals available, yet. I'm actually suffering the opposite or Por (laa-ou) TD (PTD).

Best you stay away till you got some solid capital behind you. You sound like a prime candidate to end up on the Pattaya News Channels and there ain't no farang success stories over there.

Just got job.

Thanks

I hear that long-distance lorry driving in the UK and Europe is a great way to make money fast. I know 2 guys who live in Thailand have gone back for 6 months or so just to make money from lorry driving before they return again. It is easy to live here for a couple of years cheaply then return to the UK for 6 months to make enough to return again.

You will obviously need to get a heavy goods driving licence but that shouldn't be expensive or take too long. I think there is a shortage of drivers who want to be away from there families in the UK for extended periods and can take long distance driving.

If I was in your position, that is exactly what i would do - travel all over Europe every couple of years and get paid for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck plenty of positve ideas above

If you like children/young people and confident speaker school teaching is an option,although as others say get a real degree a B Ed from uk can be done in 3 years part time,this seems ages but will ensure you unlimited work if not wealth.

Teachers even in primary school are really respected and enjoy perks and status if not salary of professionals.

You will need some but not high level skills.

Job finding easy anywhere and in Bangkok hundreds of jobs always 30-60k not a lot by Uk standars but adequate for areasonable life here,make sure you pay 30 yrs NI voluntary stamps and the meagre 100 pounds will ensure enough to retire if not luxury many times average local salary here.Or arrange a private pension so you don't have to retire to Blighty penniless after unpensioned work here.

I have been a school governor Uni prof high school teacher and started at the bottom as the janitor and studied nights and did part time work in places fullof ops inc Bournemouth.

The one great thing all we native speakers have is the English language they wish to learn and the parents to pay for it

Turning up on spec is a non runner unless you speak good Thai have good contacts and a wedge/return fare.There is no shortage of unskilled migrants here living in shacks on 50p a day or less from less fortunate neighbours.

Edited by RubbaJohnny