Phone Cards 1-2-talk

enfield951

As I only spend 5 months here (May -October) and wish to retain the same mobile number I have to

put lots of credit I don't really need on my phone.for instance Bht. 300 gets me one more months

'life'.Therefore to get to May next year I have to add bht 300 per month or Bht 3600 p.a..

Is there any way of doing this more cheaply as I have a landline and Skype and don't use the mobile

so much,but is still necessary ?

:o

As I only spend 5 months here (May -October) and wish to retain the same mobile number I have to

put lots of credit I don't really need on my phone.for instance Bht. 300 gets me one more months

'life'.Therefore to get to May next year I have to add bht 300 per month or Bht 3600 p.a..

Is there any way of doing this more cheaply as I have a landline and Skype and don't use the mobile

I have the same problem (sort of). Every time I go away, I have to pump baht into the phone to extend the expiry date, and then rarely use up all those credits when I'm home.

Last time though, I tried to do the same thing and it wouldn't let me ! I had a friend call customer service and it seems that I had too many credits (about 3,300 baht worth) and they wouldn't let me put anymore in !

I ended up leaving the SIM card with the g/f, for her to use and make sure it doesn't time expire.

There used to be a special number that you could dial, and it would extend the expiry date for a year. Unfortunately, it seems that was a special deal for a short period. I searched their site to no avail to see if it was offered again.

Unless they offer that promotion again, I guess I'll have to keep doing as before. (Ought to keep the g/f happy, as she won't have to spend her own money on her own phone !) :D

I don't think it works quite like that. I am always a year ahead, and I don't use my mobile much. Try this; buy a 500 baht phone card; I am pretty sure that adds 3 months on.

using DTAC, you could buy additional validity-days for cheap. 6 Baht for extra 90 days, or 12 Baht for extra 180 days, if I remember that right. though, they didnt have roaming until recently. now, you can switch to POSTPAID very easily and apply for roaming, just need your passport, any address in Thailand, and a credit-card....

if thats helps..... :o

One way around it is to have your card topped up from your bank account, not sure if the minimum os 50 or 100B. I can top up any Thai mobile from my bank account from the internet banking. You can even make it happen automatically so you set and forget.

With 12-call they only give you 1 month validity for some strange reason, DTAC gives 12 months.

...<snipped>...As I only spend 5 months here and wish to retain the same mobile number

I live here, but had somewhat similar problem.

I need my mobile to receive calls but seldom use it to make calls as I also have a landline,

as well as Skype and Yahoo Messenger.

I've been on 1-2-Call's "nang-nang" program for over two years. I don't know if they still

offer the program...but it works like this:

Your balance and expiration date is extended 1-month for every 100-Bt card you enter into

your phone's account [a 300-Bt card yields 3-mo]. My current balance is due to expire

in April of next year.

However...the downside, if one makes frequent or lengthy mobile calls is that you are charged

5-Bt/minute!

This program may not be economic for you, if you make frequent and/or lengthy calls when

you are in Thailand.

Buy the 1-2-call SIM with validity one year. Sorry I forgot the name but in the shop they will know. However you pay slightly higher minutes rates then, but I do not care about that.

With 12-call they only give you 1 month validity for some strange reason, DTAC gives 12 months.

Not true, after frequent use they extend the life of the credit until it reaches one year, I have had the same number for three years and only topped up every three months when I came on holiday. Now I live here I use it regularly and my current credit expires in July 2009. (200 baht)

Edited by JohnC

Not true, after frequent use they extend the life of the credit until it reaches one year, I have had the same number for three years and only topped up every three months when I came on holiday. Now I live here I use it regularly and my current credit expires in July 2009. (200 baht)

I have a one two call one year sim card. I put 100 Baht and get one year. This is good for me since I don't usually make 300 baht in calls a month.

Barry

didnt read all the threads but i went to tukcom long time ago and they called and made all my time from then on good for a year. have sent several friends there including very recently and same thing. one trick is to buy a phone card and bring it with you to your country then use the + sign and call in the number for more time with the card and you can extend it. in my trip to hongkong i ran out of time and had a friend buy a card and send me the numbers and i topped up that way

• 2 weeks later...

For a mobile in Thailand I use DTAC Happy Simple package had the same number for two years now even thought I do not use it a lot it ideal as Friends and family back in the UK can always contact me.

I only visit twice a year for two weeks and just make shore I top up and "Hay-Presto" the card is valid for another 12 months, you can do this with the smallest top up card which I think is 100B.

If you have a good broadband connection you could see if you could get someone from the UK to bring you out a Tesco internet phone, you plug it into your computer like a skype phone but the advantage of a Tesco internet phone you get a conventional phone number so you can receive calls from landlines and mobiles, I also get free calls to other Tesco internet phones and pay only 2p (3Baht/4 US Cents) per minute to anybody in; Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Chile, China, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, USA, Vatican City, Venezuela.

Calls to other countries cost more and mobiles prices do cost more in some countries as well, my number is a Birmingham UK number so calls by friends and family are the same as calling my home, as it works on the internet I can be anywhere in the world with a half decent broadband connection to receive or send calls.

If you know anybody with spare time on there phone I think that there is a way of swooping some of there time onto your phone. My g/f swooped time with her daughter when she had 150B and no time left

*140 and press 1 for English. You can transfer credit or validity to another 12Call number.

I have validity to 10 July 2009 because on 10/7/08 I transferred funds online from my SCB account (thanks to a post on a different subject)

If you know anybody with spare time on there phone I think that there is a way of swooping some of there time onto your phone. My g/f swooped time with her daughter when she had 150B and no time left

*140 and press 1 for English. You can transfer credit or validity to another 12Call number.

I have validity to 10 July 2009 because on 10/7/08 I transferred funds online from my SCB account (thanks to a post on a different subject)

My g/f often does this from my phone to her family, as they mainly have phones for incoming calls. As I use mine quite alot I am always 1 year in front, so it's no problem. You can only transfer 1 month at a time, at a cost of 20 baht, but if you have a friend who lives here they could transfer 6 months for 120 baht, rather than putting on 3,600 credit.

BTW Libya 300 baht is the maximum top up now, they stopped doing the 500's about a year ago.

From 1-2 call :

"The 1 -2-Call Prepaid SIM Card will expire after 90 days of your last recharge or activation.

Adding talk time with a recharge adds 90 days of service from the date of the recharge"

So if you put some money every 90 days you can keep your SIM Card activate, you can not phone(unless for the amount you top up) but can you receive calls? Not explicite.

Edited by luckyluke

From 1-2 call :

"The 1 -2-Call Prepaid SIM Card will expire after 90 days of your last recharge or activation.

Adding talk time with a recharge adds 90 days of service from the date of the recharge"

So if you put some money every 90 days you can keep your SIM Card activate, you can not phone(unless for the amount you top up) but can you receive calls? Not explicite.

Yes, as long as the sim is still valid you can receive calls, after that date you cannot.

Dial *120 hash (there's no hash sign on my stoopid keyboard), and it will tell you your balance, and what date it is valid to. Calls can be received with a 0 balance up to this date.

Dial *120 hash (there's no hash sign on my stoopid keyboard), and it will tell you your balance, and what date it is valid to. Calls can be received with a 0 balance up to this date.

## Got to be careful though ##

1-2 Call (and others perhaps) are very quick to suspend your number once the "valid to" date is reached. And it's only about a week or so after that date that they cancel it altogether, and you will have to buy a new SIM.

I had that happen once. Arrived home about 10 days after the validity date had passed. Tried to recharge my credits with no luck. Took it to a phone shop, they checked and told me the number had been cancelled. Had to buy a new SIM.

Last time home, my end date was 25 April, and sure enough, tried to make a call that morning and got a message. Had to run to the mini-mart and get stick another 100 baht in.

Nowadays, I usually end up leaving my phone in LoS with a friend, and have them throw some credits into it to keep it active until I return. (Like I had to do at the beginning of May, when I also found out that I couldn't put more than 3,000 credits into my phone for some reason. Customer service said I had to use up some of my exisiting credits before I could add more).

####Hash####hasH###hAsh###haSh###HAsh###hASh###haSH###HasH###HASh###hASH###HASH#

##

(just me and my #hash# key, rubbin' it in, rubbin' it in) :o

Maybe I am wrong but this is the way I think(hope)it works :

Today 100 Thb credit and valid 31July 2008, the 31, I top up 50 Thb, my credit expire 4 August but my Sim Card only expire 90 days after 31 July, during this 90 days I can only receive calls, I repeat the operation just before the 90 days expire.

####Hash####hasH###hAsh###haSh###HAsh###hASh###haSH###HasH###HASh###hASH###HASH#

##

Cheers for that, copied and pasted into notepad. I had a guy mess with my keybord as ther was no £ sign on it. The # is now £, and the " and @ have swapped places

###

##

Cheers for that, copied and pasted into notepad. I had a guy mess with my keybord as ther was no £ sign on it. The # is now £, and the " and @ have swapped places

###

As I started this topic off, just thought I'd say thanks for all your comments which I have reviewed.

In the end I went to Tukom last week and bought a new 1-2-Call SIM Card (199 Bhts.) valid for 1 year.

Put 100 bahts on it to kick off.

It means I will loose my original no. after 2 + years ,and which is on my business cards.

No matter it will save me over 3000 bahts putting extra months validity on.

Cheers

It means I will loose my original no. after 2 + years ,and which is on my business cards.

Not necessarily a bad thing in Pattaya :D

In fact, some people recommend changing phone numbers and addresses every couple of months ! :o

Not necessarily a bad thing in Pattaya :D

In fact, some people recommend changing phone numbers and addresses every couple of months ! :o

In fact, some people have too... :D

BB

...<snipped>...As I only spend 5 months here and wish to retain the same mobile number

I live here, but had somewhat similar problem.

I need my mobile to receive calls but seldom use it to make calls as I also have a landline,

as well as Skype and Yahoo Messenger.

I've been on 1-2-Call's "nang-nang" program for over two years. I don't know if they still

offer the program...but it works like this:

Your balance and expiration date is extended 1-month for every 100-Bt card you enter into

your phone's account [a 300-Bt card yields 3-mo]. My current balance is due to expire

in April of next year.

However...the downside, if one makes frequent or lengthy mobile calls is that you are charged

5-Bt/minute!

This program may not be economic for you, if you make frequent and/or lengthy calls when

you are in Thailand.

I'm on something very similar with 1-2-Call. Got it fixed at the AIS place in Tukcom - Telewiz, is it? It's on the phone floor, on the left as you look away from South Pattaya Road, and past the lifts. There's usually 2 or 3 helpful ladies working behind the counter.

A 300 Baht card now gives me 3 months extra validity. I thought the increase in call rate was only from 1 Baht/min to 2 Baht/min, not to 5 Baht? I'd check, but I hardly ever use the phone. :o

• 10 months later...

I have not read all the posts, but here is my experience.

I work outside Thailand.

I have a 1-2-call card.

It gives me about a month's worth of credit for 300 baht.

When I return I buy a card at the airport arrivals newsagents and the phone springs to life with no problems - although it is two or three months after the previous card has expired.

You do not need to 'lose' your numer, it is just that it is out-of-service for months at a time.