Restrictions On Women Married To Foreigners Buying Land

I know there were restrictions on Thai women who were married to foreign men buying land at one time. Has it changed?

My wife, who has changed her name to my name, has been saving up while we have been in the UK. She plans to buy a plot of land near her village and let her daughter and her husband grow rice. She said they can give her half the profits. Sounds like a good idea.

Will we run up against problems with these restrictions? With the credit crunch in the UK the price of houses are falling. The price of rice and diesel has gone up. What is happening to the price of land in Thailand? Is it going up, because people want to grow more rice or down because there is not so mush money around?

The pound seems quite strong against the baht. 65ish is that the rate we will get in Thailand now?

No restrictions on Thai women buying land, regardless of their spouse. My wife has done it many times!

My prediction is you'll share in the losses rather than the profits on the rice deal! Land is generally going up, have the relatives ask around.

There were Restrictions on Thai women married to Foreigners; however as I recall this all change about ten or so years ago. Now the Thai lady married to a foreigners can buy pretty much what she can afford. CHEER!! :D:o

Yes, they are talking about something in the region of 350,000 baht but I don’t know how big the plot is. It is in Si Sa Ket province. I would guess they only get one harvest of rice up there. In fact I am surprised they can grow rice up there it seems so dry the times I have been. But she said they do.

By the way I don’t expect they will make that money back but I don’t mind if it keeps the family in employment and feeds her mother as well.

Has your wife changed her name on her Thai ID card? If so then you will have to be present to sign a document that states that you waive your marrital rights to the land. If not, then she may be able to buy the land without this document. If I were you I'd be prepared to sign this document. If you can't be in Thailand at the time of the transaction, then you need to contact the Thai Embassy in London about how to sign it in England.

Has your wife changed her name on her Thai ID card? If so then you will have to be present to sign a document that states that you waive your marrital rights to the land. If not, then she may be able to buy the land without this document. If I were you I'd be prepared to sign this document. If you can't be in Thailand at the time of the transaction, then you need to contact the Thai Embassy in London about how to sign it in England.

Having gone thru this a few weeks ago be aware that the Thai Embassy in London will say you have to go in person to do this b ut it can all be done BY POST from HULL even though Iasked Birmingham consulate where I live first. Both the Thai embassy in London and the Birmingham consulate were WRONG when i asked them about this saying it could only done in person at London and they should know better.

Your wife says the money is hers and you sign that you understand it is not part of marriage joint property. Very routine now. Believe it is normally done in land office during transfer but there is provision for using legal paperwork signed elsewhere from reports we have seen.

It's "her" money. The signature is required, have done so many times myself. Most recently this past February. Wife emailed the form to me, I signed it and had the Thai Embassy here in Abu Dhabi certify it, then I scanned it and emailed back, fedex/ups'd the original just in case. Mai Pen Rai.

I still laugh that they do not understand the concept of our/family money versus her or my money.

Eric

It is called "Letter of Confirmation". Since I can read Thai as well as I can fly a plane see the attachment. It's a cleaned up version of the last one I had to sign. I don't think they would be much different province to province but one never knows.

Eric

post-8921-1215839541_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This may be too late for your visit to Si Saket......but many people are using land up in those parts of Thailand, to plant crops other than rice. Eucalyptus trees for one is very common in some aprts and also rubber. These have become more popular because of the cash economy provided year round rather than once a year. Wel with eucalyptus if planted in a rotation you will get yearly income but if planted all in one hit there will be a wait until it matures enough to harvest. Enjoy the visit.....if yo uare there at this time of year it should be green with all the rain. Too bad you cant go have a look at Khao Phra Viharn....it's closed at th emoment due to a border dispute and dispute over ownership of the ancient Khmer ruins.

Never had to do this, the wife has purchased lots of land with land papers etc, her Thai ID card has my surname on it. Maybe depends on which province you are in as to whether they enforce this.

It's "her" money. The signature is required, have done so many times myself. Most recently this past February. Wife emailed the form to me, I signed it and had the Thai Embassy here in Abu Dhabi certify it, then I scanned it and emailed back, fedex/ups'd the original just in case. Mai Pen Rai.

I still laugh that they do not understand the concept of our/family money versus her or my money.

Eric

By saying "they" are you saying all Thai women?

My Thai wife and understand completely the concept of "ours"

We pool our money together...as is normal in a Thai family.

Nothing is bought that cannot be in both our names, hence condo's and off shore real estate.

Alarm bells should be sounding Eric.

Good luck

P.S we also live in the UAE

There were Restrictions on Thai women married to Foreigners; however as I recall this all change about ten or so years ago. Now the Thai lady married to a foreigners can buy pretty much what she can afford. CHEER!! :D:o

I remember in the case of one house we bought and which the wife wanted to buy in her name that she HAD to be unmarried... couldnt even have a farang boyfriend,! Anyway If I remember correctly she lost a house paper and had it replaced with just her name on it...

Its now in the past anyway but all these funny rules you can get around...

Your wife says the money is hers and you sign that you understand it is not part of marriage joint property. Very routine now. Believe it is normally done in land office during transfer but there is provision for using legal paperwork signed elsewhere from reports we have seen.

maybe this website can help you

http://www.thaiembassy.be/index.php?option...5&Itemid=29

"They" as in the land office in Nong Khai. Of course, my wife doesn't come from what is considered a "normal" thai family either.

Everything that we buy or build (house & 3 parcels of land) is put in our son's names, and they are dual nationals.

Not sure what alarm bells you think should be going off as we have been quite happily married for 8+ years.

Eric

By saying "they" are you saying all Thai women?

My Thai wife and understand completely the concept of "ours"

We pool our money together...as is normal in a Thai family.

Nothing is bought that cannot be in both our names, hence condo's and off shore real estate.

Alarm bells should be sounding Eric.

Good luck

P.S we also live in the UAE

Are you just putting it in your sons names or is it set up where you can still sell it if you want.? Another guy i know put his house in his sons name and when it came time he wanted to sell he could not. He had to get permission from a judge and the judge refused.

You raise a valild point. We have no intention of ever selling what we have acquired. The major investment aspect was for their future not my security. I already receive one pension and will be entitled to another in 20 years time plus we have a few long term investments for security. But situations do change and only time will tell if I/we screw it up. Our boys are very young and I have quite a bit of working age left in me before I go to pasture. Big thing for me to do is to stop buying land but with many of my neighbors going dink on their loans it's hard to resist the acquisition and then sharecropping it back to them.

Eric

You raise a valild point. We have no intention of ever selling what we have acquired. The major investment aspect was for their future not my security. I already receive one pension and will be entitled to another in 20 years time plus we have a few long term investments for security. But situations do change and only time will tell if I/we screw it up. Our boys are very young and I have quite a bit of working age left in me before I go to pasture. Big thing for me to do is to stop buying land but with many of my neighbors going dink on their loans it's hard to resist the acquisition and then sharecropping it back to them.

Eric

The rule is if a Thai wife changes her name to that of the farang, she loses all inhertance rights to family land. But that can be easily put right by changing her name back on her ID and passport. There is no legal reason why she cannot be known by the farang surname in all other cases, unless to is to do something illegal!

But you insisting she changes her name on everything! is this a big dick prob? A pride thing! Does your Ex back in Uk etc, still use your surname?

Don/t worry any children you have with her HAVE to take your surname. so the line will carry on! Do'nt forget you never call her Mrs !!!!!!, but by her nickname (Shout yar big trap! PING!)

As to buying up the land her nieghbours default on and rent sharecropping back, can cause a terminal problem, classed as death by accidental jealously!

Edited by peterandcat

The rule is if a Thai wife changes her name to that of the farang, she loses all inhertance rights to family land. ...

Incorrect.

This used to be true but the law was changed around 9 years ago.

It is called "Letter of Confirmation". Since I can read Thai as well as I can fly a plane see the attachment. It's a cleaned up version of the last one I had to sign. I don't think they would be much different province to province but one never knows.

Eric

In Romanized Thai that would be something like "nangseu rup rorng."

The rule is if a Thai wife changes her name to that of the farang, she loses all inhertance rights to family land.

I just comment on this single phrase and I say a big NO, never.

What she as to do however is to change all the documents and legal papers whatsoever.

Are you just putting it in your sons names or is it set up where you can still sell it if you want.? Another guy i know put his house in his sons name and when it came time he wanted to sell he could not. He had to get permission from a judge and the judge refused.

We looked at that idea too. We phoned round a few Thai Lawyers and yes...Our Son could own in His name but only HE could sell it when He became 21.

Of course when in Thailand trying to sell it He could be picked up for not doing His National Service...Right! :o

I love reading this website, there's a lot of EXTREMELY well informed posters on here but the one thing that I picked up a long time ago and realised completely is that Foreigners have no chance of ever been treated fairly in Thailand.

Not in my LIFETIME.

And why people are prepared to sign documents stating that the money is their Wifes and not theirs, is BEYOND me.

They are LYING to keep a RACIST anti FOREIGNER policy ticking over.

Give the money away to the Family for Christ sake and stop making a fool of yourselves. If you really want them to own land.

Edited by farangmal

• 1 month later...