Why Are Prices Shown In Us Dollars

DJ Pat

Should all prices be shown in Baht as This is Thailand?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've noticed that when something is a tad extortionately priced here in Thailand, it is shown in US Dollars so the figure appears cheaper.

Is this the reason why?

I think it's bloody stupid as I don't carry a calculator around with me 24 hours a day.

Examples:

Flights

Hotel rooms

Car hire

Dodgy Indian tailors

I've noticed that when something is a tad extortionately priced here in Thailand, it is shown in US Dollars so the figure appears cheaper.

I noticed recently an article about possibly raising prices for foreigners to gain entrance to National Parks.

Someone in the article stated that "at present Thais pay 20 baht and foriegners only pay 5 dollars."

At first view it certainly does look cheaper until you quickly do the math of 40baht x 5.

And to think that they're upping the prices for NPs again to include insurance.

Robbin' Twatstards they are. :o

In '97, after the crash, especially hotels started to quote in US$ , payable in Baht at daily exchange rates.

Makes sense. Lets say Baht 1000 (for easy calculation) gave the hotel operator early 97' an income of US$ 40, later in that year only US$ 20.00.

The government worked the other way round. E.g. airport service fee, originally Baht 250, then increased to Baht 500 with the argument, visitors will not feel it as both was/is US$ 10.00 :o

.....I think it's bloody stupid as I don't carry a calculator around with me 24 hours a day........

Here's a tip:

1. Read the dollar number.

2. Multiply by 4.

3. Multiply by 10.

Now you have the Baht number. :o

KISS, it's just that simple.

oh yes for the people that don't know: KISS : keep it simple stupid!

.....I think it's bloody stupid as I don't carry a calculator around with me 24 hours a day........

Here's a tip:

1. Read the dollar number.

2. Multiply by 4.

3. Multiply by 10.

Now you have the Baht number. :o

Still not simple (SNS)

Why not just change it ALL to Baht so as not to confuse non-calculator carriers such as myself?

I'm in Samui with one of them for the weekend (fri-mon) and the others study and/or work so I see them sporadically.

So this weekend I won't be posting anywhere. I'll be sharing a single bed with a sweet soft skinned female instead.

Back on topic, hotels like the Marriott Grp and Amari tend to quote in $ss, unless you go directly through a tour agent in Thailand, call them up and speak in Thai, or point out you are a resident. It's a standardization of their regional/global budget. The lesser know hotels are unlikely to have this problem, hence they charge in Baht. As magazines don't know the exchange rate that the big hotels will use, they stick withb the dollar rate being quoted by the hotel. And, in most cases, if you pay by CC, the big hotels will charge you in $ss - even if you are using a Baht CC. I've had this dispute with them. I've also had the dispute where they've used the counter rate to exchange into Baht their $ss room rate. These days I don't even give them the pleasure - as soon as they mention $ss, I'm out the door

It makes sense to quote flight prices in dollars because the price of international flights in fact fluctuates with the USD.

As for suits, don't use the tailors. You never get what you truly are after anyway, in terms of design and/or quality.

As for hotel rooms, I thought you were an expat. Why do you worry about hotels?

Also, Thailand happens to be one of the world's major tourist destination, and USD is the most widely used currency for international transactions. Just like shop owners use English for their signs in order for tourists to understand what they are selling, it makes sense to quote your price in USD - because the average tourist is not familiar with the price level and actual value of the baht.

Of course, any place or business that caters mainly to tourists will be more expensive.

One situation where I do enjoy seeing the dollar price are various outlet stores where, for example, shirts already have their dollar price tag on it for export to the usa... it feels REALLY GOOD to pay a small portion here in baht, for instance GAP shirt had a $39.99 (you do the math) tag on it and paid 380 baht for it.

In many instances things are priced in dollars for the convenience of visitors who may not be familiar with exchange rates.

Some goods and services are sourced abroad and quoting prices in dollars helps protect retailers or agents from currency price fluctuations.

Those who suspect that prices quoted in dollars are another form of two-tiered pricing can ask a Thai to enquire about the "Thai price" of the goods or services on offer. Often a much lower figure, usually stated in baht, will emerge.

One of your only decent posts I'd say Pat. I agree with you. It is B.S. I don't see things priced in Pounds or Euros down at Fisherman's Warf in San francisco. Anyway, when the Middle East and the rest of OPEC start doing all their oil transactions in Euros, the US dollar will be almost worthless (Dickie knows, thanks mate. I knew there was a reason for that war. The dollar is on crutches.) :o:D

It'll be interesting to see when the big hotels switch from US Dollars to Euros.

Not to get politcal here, but given Bush's economic ideas and policy of deficit spending, the Dollar will probably lose a lot of value during the next four years. Also, there are already more European tourists here than American and that trend will probably continue.

Also, there are already more European tourists here than American and that trend will probably continue.

There have always been many more European tourists than Americans in Thailand.

The propotion will just be much greater now.