Chiang Mai Bib

slapout

Last week (Thursday) a tuk tuk double parked in front of a used book store(sponser on TV). Small parking area, full of motorbikes. The passenger in tuk tuk was waiting for book shop personal to bring him books and change for payment of same. (he had ordered in advance) A local policeman approached the driver of tuk tuk, telling her no parking. When it was explained that the passenger was awaiting change and books, wheelchair was pointed out to police and he was told the passenger was not mobil without wheelchair. The policeman informed them the problem was not his but the passengers. He then proceeded to write out the ticket for the parking offense. I wonder if the BIB have training in dealing with the public?

TIT. I'm surprised you even have to ask.

If you're talking to the the little soi off Thapae Road, just before you reach the gate, then any blockage can have cars queuing out onto the main road in no time so it's not hard to imagine little torerence for a Tuk Tuk regardless of the passenger. Did the policeman leave the Tuk Tuk in place when he was writing up the ticket or was there room for him to pull over out of the way? Given my experiences with some TT drivers, it's not hard to imagine that he might simply have been too lazy to pull off the road, get out and walk a few steps to get the change or book for his fare. I don't want to sound totally unsympathetic but without seeing the actual event it's tough to get too outraged even though on the surface it sounds like an uncaring act of the part of the policeman.

It would have been very easy for the Tuk to drive on, hang a left in the little soi by the Rydges Hotel, Left at the moat and return to the front oif the store. Not doing so smacks of obstinate stupidity.