Approximate Cost Of Ipod In Pattaya

bobrcb

I have sponsored a girl at Pattaya Orphanage for about 14 years and rather foolishly asked her what she would like for her 17th birthday, and she has requested an ipod. I know nothing about these and would not recognise one if it was put in front of me. I shall be visiting her at the orphanage next sunday and was planning to go to Carrefour, which is nearby. Grateful if someone could recommend a model to look for and approximate cost. Will be leaving England on thursday, so any response before then would be appreciated. Thank you.

Assuming she is happy with a Nano (the slim one) they are 4000baht for 4gb and 8000 for 8gb.

There is an Ipod style knockoff for under 1000baht - 2gb that is easily to pick up at Tuk Com (IT City)

Ipod uses a propriety software (Itunes) so the user needs to be a bit computer savvy to get the most of it -mp3s, videos and games.

Tell her to get a job and save to buy it (something frivolous like an iPod) and start building some character. Don't start her on the road of asking men for expensive trinkets...can lead to no good!

It's the girls birthday. Also HE asked HER what she wanted. :o

Tell her to get a job and save to buy it (something frivolous like an iPod) and start building some character. Don't start her on the road of asking men for expensive trinkets...can lead to no good!

She is in the Orphanage !

Isn't she worth a gift ?

I sponsor 2 kids there - and this is a very kind gesture - but as mentioned before, make sure she can use a computer to load itunes.

Mr B.

Edited by BROWNY

It's the girls birthday. Also HE asked HER what she wanted. :o

I agree that Premium Savings Bonds would be a much better present if you wanted to encourage the development of a savings culture in the girl. I am sure she would be over the moon with that :D

She's 17 years old...not a poor abandoned little kid. That's an adult in Thailand! Sure it's nice to buy her a present for her birthday, some perfume or a nice outfit to wear but why does she need an iPod. To flash it around the orphanage so she can gain "face" with fancy material possessions. Not really a very good lesson to teach a young lady starting out in life.

She's 17 years old...not a poor abandoned little kid. That's an adult in Thailand! Sure it's nice to buy her a present for her birthday, some perfume or a nice outfit to wear but why does she need an iPod. To flash it around the orphanage so she can gain "face" with fancy material possessions. Not really a very good lesson to teach a young lady starting out in life.

The OP is her sponsor, not her father !

it is the thought that counts.

Its your birthday and a bunch of growing men are debating in front of you whether you should get a certain gift for your birthday as it may have serious implications for the rest of your life. What would you think of these people.

Good luck to the OP, im sure it'll not corrupt her in later life.

Here is a link to a website -

http://www.lowest-ipod-prices.co.uk/ipod.htm

A Nano 8gb at 115GBP from Amazon should do the trick, or if youre rich one of the touchscreens.

:o

Right - lets get something straight.

Pattaya Orphanage is not only for orphans, nor is it only for kids.

They also take care of people with disabilities - for example they have a deaf school, a blind school, and they take in people (including ADULTS) with learning difficulties and physical disabilities.

Take a look at their web site - pattayaorphange.org

Instead of thinking the worst of people NotNew2You - why not consider sponsoring someone yourself ?

Mr B.

Bob, I understand Ipod is the name and 17 year olds are all about the name but Ipods are actually a very bad idea. You need to buy mp3's from Apple on the Itunes site and they only play on the Ipod. Its all propriety software.

If like the rest of the world you want to download mp3's for free illegally from sites such as Pirates Bay (not that I would ever do such a thing) the you need an MP3 player that doesn't use propriety software and for convenience you need one that is compatible with Windows Media Player. Then you can drag and drop from a computer on to the player. Easy peasy.

The recognised best player out there that does all these things is the iRiver Clix. The 8gb version (big as she will ever need) is £110 off the net. I have one myself and it is a seriously sexy piece of kit.

Bob,

As a suggestion - you might be able to take her to the shops (with a staff member) and pick something out.

You would probably get a better idea if she will be able to use an ipod or other mp3 player.

Good luck to you mate - I have 2 kids birthdays at the orphanage to consider !

Right - lets get something straight.

Pattaya Orphanage is not only for orphans, nor is it only for kids.

They also take care of people with disabilities - for example they have a deaf school, a blind school, and they take in people (including ADULTS) with learning difficulties and physical disabilities.

Take a look at their web site - pattayaorphange.org

Instead of thinking the worst of people NotNew2You - why not consider sponsoring someone yourself ?

Mr B.

Totally agree with you :o

NotNew2You - Maybe she does not need perfume or clothes because maybe she has some kind of disability where she is unable to show it off. She probably wants an iPod as she likes listening to music, which makes her happy - why do you have to react so negatively towards a teenager wanting an iPod????

Thank you everyone for your input. I didn't intend to get an argument started, but was simply seeking advice. I wasn't sure if an ipod bought in the UK would be compatible with equipment in Thailand. I had no fixed budget but was hoping to get something for about 5000-6000 baht, which does appear feasible. My only concern on price is that I arrive very late from Cambodia on the saturday night and intend getting a bus from Ekkamai before the bureau de changes open next morning, so need to change enough money at the airport. The girl I sponsor was abandoned by her mother after a few months, and was taken care of by a male relative until she was about 18 months old, when she was taken to the orphanage. I first visited her when she was almost 5 and took her a large toy rabbit, which she clung on to. I try to visit her twice a year and have seen her develop from a very shy girl to one with confidence, who helps take care of the younger children, when she returns from school. Since her younger days, she has been involved in Thai dancing, and has performed for royalty and many foreign dignatories. She is now learning to play a musical instrument, whilst she studies for the equivalent of 'A' levels. I was not looking to adopt a child. My age and different nationality would have probably barred me anyway. I chose to sponsor her, because she could not be adopted, as she did not have the relevant birth documents, and both her parents had vanished, so I hoped I could contribute to her well-being over many years. Combined with an education, paid for by the Orphanage, she might steer clear of the temptations on the other side of town. She has had no contact with any members of her family since being left at the orphanage, so has no-one, apart from people at the Orphanage, to provide luxuries for her. I don't profess to be a saint. Far from it, but this is just my way of doing something to help someone less well off than myself, and by sponsoring a specific person, I have had the opportunity to see how my money has benefited someone. Sponsorship is only about 1000 baht per month - not even the cost of a good night out - so if anyone is interested, contact Khun Toy at Pattaya Orphanage. I will let you all know how I got on once I get back. Thanks once again.

I have an Ipod and a computer with 150gb music all downloaded for free

For windows you just download Itunes and as long as the music is MP3

and most is you can put it on the Ipod.

Thats why it took over the world if it was hard to load nobody would get one.

I use linux [ubuntu] and with gtkpod i load it fine.

buy her a real one she will be embarrassed with a cheap knock of.

I have sponsored a girl at Pattaya Orphanage for about 14 years and rather foolishly asked her what she would like for her 17th birthday, and she has requested an ipod. I know nothing about these and would not recognise one if it was put in front of me. I shall be visiting her at the orphanage next sunday and was planning to go to Carrefour, which is nearby. Grateful if someone could recommend a model to look for and approximate cost. Will be leaving England on thursday, so any response before then would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hats off too u mate i suppose an ipood is not a reet lot to ask for being this this Thailand 2008..... i agree with both sides of the replies too this topic and kids in general world over follow the latest technological gadgets ...... just think on !! if this lass had requested a Honda jazz and driving lessons ! ah well thers always next year...never been an orphan or had a sponser myself , never had a birthday present either just worked my ass of from 14 yrs of age .... still u r a top geezer and enjoy your hol in the coming weeks.

I always thought that I was a relatively tough (ish) guy.

I did not shed a tear when I buried (over a 4 year spell) 2 parents and a brother.

Bob's post #22 almost brought a tear to my eye.

What appears to be purity and honesty in this relationship can only be applauded and, frankly, Bob should treat her to the best Ipod he can afford.

(I don't need to say this but if you fall short Bob on what you have budgeted the I am sure a few TV members can chip in)

Hmm... I had a feeling that if I dissed the mighty Apple a TRUE BELIEVER would emerge.

To make it worse Windows Media Player is produced by the Evil Empire and Itunes by the Rebel Alliance.

Ipod is an inferior product selling at a premium price on the name, although as I said before for a 17 year old sometimes the name is everything.

Better and cheaper out there. iRiver Clix was my personal choice but there are others.

I always thought that I was a relatively tough (ish) guy.

I did not shed a tear when I buried (over a 4 year spell) 2 parents and a brother.

Bob's post #22 almost brought a tear to my eye.

What appears to be purity and honesty in this relationship can only be applauded and, frankly, Bob should treat her to the best Ipod he can afford.

(I don't need to say this but if you fall short Bob on what you have budgeted the I am sure a few TV members can chip in)

NOTE TO SELF

Avoid excessive emotional comments after a night on the beer - they can look trite in the morning ! I still believe in Bob's cause though.