Certificate Of Residency – Where To Get ?

bledu

I never understood the need for the certificate when it was issued by the Immigration folks and I understand it even less now that it isn't. Most amazing is that Thai Immigration is giving up the opportunity for 300 Baht income with each certificate. Maybe in a few months they will revert back to the old system and in the process increase the fee to 2,300 baht on the basis that was what the embassies charged, hmm, maybe a smart move on their part after all.

Actually, the two of us that got a C of R in the 24hr window when CM Immigration said it would go back to issuing them a little while ago paid 500 baht for the privilege. Given that it took them all of about 20 minutes to type it up and no actual checks appear to be done (any more than your Embassy/Consulate does) it seems to me like money for old rope and most surprising that they're overlooking this easily source of revenue. I'd start a sub-contracting business (and do some checks) for that kind of money!

That's not quite right. In order to be getting a drivers license you need a 1 year visa and in order to get that you need to declare your address in Thailand. Although they don't check them all, immigration does check out some by paying a visit and even checking with the neighbours. Besides, it wouldn't be wise to give a false address to immigration. So a certificate of residence from immigration does carry some weight. I'm not sure if the same applies to a certificate from an embassy or consul.

I GOT MY CERTIFICATE FROM CHIANG Mi immigration last week - but the want 500 baht corruption money, thats the news. before I lived in chiang rai and there it was free!

I never understood the need for the certificate when it was issued by the Immigration folks and I understand it even less now that it isn't. Most amazing is that Thai Immigration is giving up the opportunity for 300 Baht income with each certificate. Maybe in a few months they will revert back to the old system and in the process increase the fee to 2,300 baht on the basis that was what the embassies charged, hmm, maybe a smart move on their part after all.

Actually, the two of us that got a C of R in the 24hr window when CM Immigration said it would go back to issuing them a little while ago paid 500 baht for the privilege. Given that it took them all of about 20 minutes to type it up and no actual checks appear to be done (any more than your Embassy/Consulate does) it seems to me like money for old rope and most surprising that they're overlooking this easily source of revenue. I'd start a sub-contracting business (and do some checks) for that kind of money!

That's not quite right. In order to be getting a drivers license you need a 1 year visa and in order to get that you need to declare your address in Thailand. Although they don't check them all, immigration does check out some by paying a visit and even checking with the neighbours. Besides, it wouldn't be wise to give a false address to immigration. So a certificate of residence from immigration does carry some weight. I'm not sure if the same applies to a certificate from an embassy or consul.

I GOT MY CERTIFICATE FROM CHIANG Mi immigration last week - but the want 500 baht corruption money, thats the news. before I lived in chiang rai and there it was free!

"Corruption money?" An announced fee? Just like the fees charged by several embassies/consulates, some of which are much, much higher? Or various service fees charged by various bureaucracies in any land you can name. In fact, Chiang Mai used to provide the same as well at no fee, but for reasons I am not aware of, it was decided to charge a fee. I fail to see how such a gratuitous comment is useful.

Then following question in this bush is; is it now official to buy a C of R or not. Bribing is easy but still dangerous when you meet the wrong guy, if any.

I always thought immigration 'forgot' to ask money for the CR and wondered why they stopped issuing.

One statement was that it gave them too much work. Nuts, they have plenty people and are happy to evacuate the money in your wallet. Leaves me puzzled.

I just reread this whole thread. I am not certain why. I have never had any difficulty with dealing with the Immigration Office on any matter. Well, I think once, I did have to go back to the photocopy machine for something. Took ten minutes at most.

I'm not trying to be snotty. It is clear, however, that many people don't present themselves properly, many people do not do their homework, and some poor souls somehow feel that they have been eternally wronged and that the world somehow owes them something! At no expense to them in time, effort, or money. Oy!

Sometimes, of course, there are genuine complications. The simplest, of course, would be language ability. Just remember no one owes a farang anything because you can't communicate in Thai in Thailand! In another more complicated example --- the apparently different regulations of France that are not consistent with those of Thailand --- that appears to be a genuine problem, but one, actually, that can probably be worked out a lot more easily here than in France--- and I am NOT talking about tea money for anyone.

Let me close by asking, in the name of "farangdom," if you don't have your act together or if you are in a snit, please don't spend the 450 bhat to ask questions of the head of immigration at lunch!

Edited by Mapguy

I just reread this whole thread. I am not certain why. I have never had any difficulty with dealing with the Immigration Office on any matter. Well, I think once, I did have to go back to the photocopy machine for something. Took ten minutes at most.

I'm not trying to be snotty. It is clear, however, that many people don't present themselves properly, many people do not do their homework, and some poor souls somehow feel that they have been eternally wronged and that the world somehow owes them something! At no expense to them in time, effort, or money. Oy!

Sometimes, of course, there are genuine complications. The simplest, of course, would be language ability. Just remember no one owes a farang anything because you can't communicate in Thai in Thailand! In another more complicated example --- the apparently different regulations of France that are not consistent with those of Thailand --- that appears to be a genuine problem, but one, actually, that can probably be worked out a lot more easily here than in France--- and I am NOT talking about tea money for anyone.

Let me close by asking, in the name of "farangdom," if you don't have your act together or if you are in a snit, please don't spend the 450 bhat to ask questions of the head of immigration at lunch!

By all means please do not piss off the Boss of Imm. in CM

with complaints and stupid questions or comments. The one thing I have learned about Thai Officials is they expect respect for their rank.

Any disrespect shown will reflect on all farangs and things could get a lot worse. I only say this because I am up for renewal in Sept :o Sawadee Kup

By all means please do not piss off the Boss of Imm. in CM

with complaints and stupid questions or comments. The one thing I have learned about Thai Officials is they expect respect for their rank.

Any disrespect shown will reflect on all farangs and things could get a lot worse. I only say this because I am up for renewal in Sept :o Sawadee Kup

"do not piss off the Boss of Imm. in CM with complaints and stupid questions or comments.

Any disrespect shown will reflect on all farangs and things could get a lot worse.

Thai Officials is they expect respect for their rank."

Well said PJohn. But it is not just about your next renewal. Should be posted on another thread or two also.

Thai officials also expect respect Thai style and few farangs understand what that means. Certainly very very few of the relative newcomers who have all the questions and issues.