Ford Mustang

Hi all,

I guess this has been asked and covered in the forums but I can't find where right now so bear with me aqnd I will ask anyways.

I have a US Ford Mustang GT currently registered in the UK. It manual 4.8 V8 and I really want to bring it to thailand as I am now living here.

Does andyone have any idea how to do this, who to contact, and what the likely cost will be.

I have tried to find out but it seems that like most things in Thailand getting a straight answer is nigh on impossible.

andy help would be fantastic.

Thanks all

The following example shows a breakdown of the liable taxes and duties assessed on the vehicles less than 2400 c.c. cylinder capacity with a CIF value of 1,000,000 Baht.

CIF value of the imported vehicle and applicable taxes and duties are as follows:

CIF value of the import = 1,000,000 Baht

Import duty = 80 %

Excise tax = 35 %

Interior tax = 10 % of excise tax

VAT = 7 %

The total import duties and taxes imposed on this import are calculated as follows:

1. Import duty = (CIF value * Rate of import duty)

= (1,000,000 *

= 800,000 Baht

2. Excise tax = (CIF value + import duty) * {Rate of excise tax/1-(1.1 * Rate of excise tax)}

= (1,000,000+800,000) * {0.35/1-(1.1*0.35)}

= 1,800,000 * 0.5691057

= 1,024,390.20 Baht

3. Interior tax = Excise tax * Rate of interior tax

= 1,024,390.20 * 0.1

= 102,439.02 Baht

4. Base VAT = (CIF value+ Import duty+ Excise tax + Interior tax)

= (1,000,000 + 800,000 + 1,024,390.20 + 102,439.02)

= 2,926,829.20 Baht

5. VAT = Base VAT * VAT Rate

= 2,926,829.20 *0.07

= 204,878.04 Baht

Total taxes and duties = 1+2+3+5 = 2,131,707.20 Baht or 213.2%

2400 to 3000 cc but no more than 220 hp is 250.82%

3000 cc and up 308%

SUV no more than 220 hp 182%

discount depend on year of the car - 5 to 70%

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...Nme=PersonalPer

Edited by Grant

Hi jkdenver

I am very,very suprised you have not found previous threads here on importing car&bikes into Thailand. I must be honest and say I am no expert but have read the hundreds of threads on this same subject.

99.9% seem to say the following :-

1) Dont waste time thinking about it, Its virually impossible.

2) Thai Customs are extreemly corrupt and they may 'chose' to make things difficult so that they can impound/own your 'pride n joy'.

3) The vehicles are usually rarities, so Customs can value them at an unreasonably high value, then they work out the duties to pay on this unreasonable price.

4) Thai import duties are high to start with.

5) you may end up paying 250% of the cars worth PLUS SHIPPING.

I appologise in advance, if I am wrong and am sorry to 'piss on yer chips' as it were, but this is my take on the matter. Search and Discover IF I am wrong but I dont think so.

Hi jkdenver

I am very,very suprised you have not found previous threads here on importing car&bikes into Thailand. I must be honest and say I am no expert but have read the hundreds of threads on this same subject.

2) Thai Customs are extreemly corrupt and they may 'chose' to make things difficult so that they can impound/own your 'pride n joy'.

3) The vehicles are usually rarities, so Customs can value them at an unreasonably high value, then they work out the duties to pay on this unreasonable price.

I appologise in advance, if I am wrong and am sorry to 'piss on yer chips' as it were, but this is my take on the matter. Search and Discover IF I am wrong but I dont think so.

While I have no reason to doubt Grant (above) and his very clear calculations, I must go along 100% (not merely 99.9%) with this poster, simply because the most relevant enthusiast club in Thailand (run by TOP Thais) agrees with him!

The Classic Car Assoc (Thailand), run by senior Thai people from influential families, echo this advice completely. And they are pessimistic about any changes for the better in the foreseeable future!

That is why you will see cars such as yours occasionally advertised for sale here at a multiple of the prices asked back home in the west. Their HUGE advantage is that they are already here, Thai registered, duty and tax etc paid and totally legal on Thai roads.

My advice is thus to SELL THERE and then later BUY HERE!

With patience you will find what you want and, if you are careful about buying, you will get value for money (from a Thai perspective) and NOT risk losing your true love on the dockside.........!

Grant: Total taxes and duties = 1+2+3+5 = 2,131,707.20 Baht or 213.2%

Holly rocking horse shit! That is so unfair and so wrong! In fact some may say it's criminal.

Edited by BSJ

Holly rocking horse shit! That is so unfair and so wrong! In fact some may say it's criminal

:o . to Thailand.

Land of many (unfair) surprises. A very astute observation BSJ :D

Dave

p.s. Sensible advice by Flatout.. although probably not what you want to hear.

Edited by Dave the Dude

There was talk that a car owned by a returning Thai who had owned the car for a period (years) in the other country and came back to Thailand, had an avenue..

That route has been investigated and doesnt seem to be available to the general public, maybe some uber high ranking person may have a shot.

Do the same rules apply for Thais bringing a vehicle from the UK?

For instance, could my wife import a car in her name as a returning Thai citizen?

Same shit, otherwise i would have a few corwettes instead of Toyotas, etc. But there is a gamble you can take:

Go home and make your car looks ugly and take off the ECU, so the car doesnt' work, damage the color, etc. You can paint it after when the car is in Thailand, Paintjob is cheap overhere. You can try to ship it to Thaiand, let it at the custom more than six month, After 6 monts the car belongs to Custom and you can buy it back true to a customauction. I done this with a camaro Z28 a couple years ago and i saved a lot of money, because they price i bought the car was much less then the duty i had to pay. The problem is that this is a timewaistig way and your car i a english one, not US. My Cam was from Vegas, so the steering was on the lefthand side, which mean Thais wasn't really interested to bit the price up at the auction. I bought my Cam for 325'000 Baht from auction.

But this is a gamble, it's a 50% chance that you get it or lose it.

For instance, could my wife import a car in her name as a returning Thai citizen?

Same shit, otherwise i would have a few corwettes instead of Toyotas, etc. But there is a gamble you can take:

Go home and make your car looks ugly and take off the ECU, so the car doesnt' work, damage the color, etc. You can paint it after when the car is in Thailand, Paintjob is cheap overhere. You can try to ship it to Thaiand, let it at the custom more than six month, After 6 monts the car belongs to Custom and you can buy it back true to a customauction. I done this with a camaro Z28 a couple years ago and i saved a lot of money, because they price i bought the car was much less then the duty i had to pay. The problem is that this is a timewaistig way and your car i a english one, not US. My Cam was from Vegas, so the steering was on the lefthand side, which mean Thais wasn't really interested to bit the price up at the auction. I bought my Cam for 325'000 Baht from auction.

mm, I wouldn't mind checking out those auctions. any info about the venue, dates etc?

i'd understand if u wudn't wanna have too many farangs bidding on ur beloved car tho...

mm, I wouldn't mind checking out those auctions. any info about the venue, dates etc?

i'd understand if u wudn't wanna have too many farangs bidding on ur beloved car tho...

Both of the above are not a good idea :o

Thai customs want to nick the car for peanuts..not let some farang buy it!

To the OP...DON'T DO IT...and just in case you think again...DON'T DO IT!

RAZZ

Mustang fan myself (my first car @ 16 was a '91 Mustang GT). Have looked into it a few times over the years and decided that even getting a professional importer to do it for you probably isn't a good idea. Many have done it and they typically all end up in Ratchadaphisek car tents after they've been driven hard (and fun) for a year or three or just sitting in a glass walled garage at home. It can be done if you just want one for an occasional driver, are willing to import genuine parts (there is virtually no American auto after market support here), have your own people who have some experience servicing American heavy metal, or are willing to oversee the local Ford dealership do the service (remember though that unlike Honda or Toyota, a lot of Ford parts are still not cross-model compatible... so again, you'll have to source your parts yourself)... no doubt spending half the time revving the engine just to listen to it.

:o

Hi all,

I guess this has been asked and covered in the forums but I can't find where right now so bear with me aqnd I will ask anyways.

I have a US Ford Mustang GT currently registered in the UK. It manual 4.8 V8 and I really want to bring it to thailand as I am now living here.

Does andyone have any idea how to do this, who to contact, and what the likely cost will be.

I have tried to find out but it seems that like most things in Thailand getting a straight answer is nigh on impossible.

andy help would be fantastic.

Thanks all

I have just sent you a contact name who will help you achieve this! If anyone else wants to do this then please drop me a line and I will give you the info! Forget the calcs and official websites they are meaningless!

Hi jkdenver

While I have no reason to doubt Grant (above) and his very clear calculations, I must go along 100% (not merely 99.9%) with this poster, simply because the most relevant enthusiast club in Thailand (run by TOP Thais) agrees with him!

The Classic Car Assoc (Thailand), run by senior Thai people from influential families, echo this advice completely. And they are pessimistic about any changes for the better in the foreseeable future!

That is why you will see cars such as yours occasionally advertised for sale here at a multiple of the prices asked back home in the west. Their HUGE advantage is that they are already here, Thai registered, duty and tax etc paid and totally legal on Thai roads.

My advice is thus to SELL THERE and then later BUY HERE!

With patience you will find what you want and, if you are careful about buying, you will get value for money (from a Thai perspective) and NOT risk losing your true love on the dockside.........!

Sell there you might lose money, after all if you are already going to move here then time is a killer, to sell quick you might have to drop the price or pay storage until the price is right. Also to buy here you pay over the top.I tried to get my car and motorcycle into Thailand. True enough the car had to go back as the duty and tax was outrageous. But the motorcycle was not too bad. That cost me $24,000 for the bike brand new in Australia and then $11,000 tax and duty here. The bike brand new here is 1.2 MILLION Baht or about $40,000 so I am still $5,000 up on the deal. I did all of the paperwork myself as the shipping agent TRANS-LINK did nothing to help and I would steer well clear of that company in the future. According to another agent recommended to me by a lawyer they could have obtained the bike AND the car for a lot less than I was quoted. Unfortunately for me it was too late as I had already obtained the paperwork myself and that was when the damage was done. You need room to maneuver for this process to work for you, the company would do all of the paperwork upfront and ensure that the right "wording" was used. It is essential that the right deals are sorted in advance. That is the thing about bent systems, they tend to work against you when you are outside of the system and have no idea about the processes involved but when you work within the boundaries of that system then things can work in your favor?

Holly rocking horse shit! That is so unfair and so wrong! In fact some may say it's criminal.

Tax for car imports in Singapore used to be 200% but they have somewhat reduced over the years but good thing here is that we don't have to pay ridiculous road taxes and road pricing systems.

Anyhoo, I gave up the idea of importing a car.

B