Baht Bus / Songtaow

deejah

i can get from jomtien south beach to central pattaya for 10 baht

in fact i was told you can go all the way to nakula

but doing it the other way around costs a minimum of 20 baht taking one directly or taking two, switching near walking street

though they often charge more / ask for more / demand more :o

how do you know where each one is going, and where their terminal point is?

are there particular routes they take?

(bi nii cap (where you go) only gets a response of bi nii cap

i guess they are flexible but for a big fee)

what is the real and actual cost to get to south jomtien from central pat, beach road or soi buo caow,

or should i know better than to expect a fixed or set amount :D

thanks

You pretty much described the situation, they way it is.

Some points I would add:

North

-- if going as far as Naklua, or even Big C, they will not always accept 10 baht from a farang, especially if the bus is empty, but you are correct, the proper fare is 10 baht, and definitely as far as Pattaya Klang

South

-- you can't do this for 10 baht.

-- the most stress free way is to just get off at Pattaya Tai and take one of the buses in the queue at the school going to Jomtien. Two trips, 20 baht.

If you want logic, you will only frustrate yourself.

BTW Pattaya people:

PLEASE BOYCOTT ALL

PATTAYA TAXI METERS!!!!

Edited by Jingthing

Any particular reason why taxi-meters should be boycotted?

They are clean, air conditioned, cheap and you don't have lonely guys asking for your life history or drunks wanting to be your best mate.

I think you are thinking about BANGKOK taxi meters!!!!

Pattaya taxi meters are a MAFIA. They have a METER sign and a working METER, but will not use the meters. They are anything but cheap. The charter fares they insist on (MAFIA MONOPOLY) are about 5 times the fare for the same distance as Bangkok.

We want a REAL taxi meter system here, like Bangkok, with taxi meters that do use the meters in town. As this mafia job we have here won't do that, the only power we have is to BOYCOTT them. Please join the boycott.

Edited by Jingthing

I have rarely taken a taxi journey in Bangkok without having to ask the driver to switch on his meter.

I have had the same experience in Pattaya.

My conclusion is that many taxi drivers would prefer not to use the meter (surprise!), if so I get out.

Generally, a taxi-meter will cost more than a baht bus for the same journey, a motorcycle taxi is usually quicker, taking your own car or motorcycle may be more convenient. It is up to the individual to decide.

There will be no taxi-meter system in Pattaya unless people patronise the one we have.

The way to deal with dishonest drivers is to note their permit number and complain to City Hall.

I have rarely taken a taxi journey in Bangkok without having to ask the driver to switch on his meter.

I have had the same experience in Pattaya.

My conclusion is that many taxi drivers would prefer not to use the meter (surprise!), if so I get out.

Generally, a taxi-meter will cost more than a baht bus for the same journey, a motorcycle taxi is usually quicker, taking your own car or motorcycle may be more convenient. It is up to the individual to decide.

There will be no taxi-meter system in Pattaya unless people patronise the one we have.

The way to deal with dishonest drivers is to note their permit number and complain to City Hall.

OK, thanks for your rationale.

I respect your opinion and experience, but it is not the same as my experience.

-- the only time Bangkok taxi drivers (since 1998) have not turned on the meter for me is at Patpong at night. Otherwise, no need to ask. Sometimes they won't want to go where I am going though, period, so then the thing to do is keep asking other taxi drivers until you get one that will go where you are going

-- Bangkok taxi meters vs. Pattaya, in Bangkok you can report them and they must legally turn them on, in Pattaya NO SUCH RULE or reporting possibility

-- you are comparing Pattaya charter taxi meters (THEY DO NOT USE THE METERS) to baht bus charters (yes the taxi would be more comfortable)

-- I find your logic daft. If we tolerate a Pattaya taxi meter service mafia that almost always refuse to use the meter (where in Bangkok they almost always do use the meters) we are supporting that bad behavior. If we do that, indeed, there will be no hope of ever getting a REAL taxi meter system in Pattaya, as in Bangkok.

I suggest that we need to take action and the only action we can take is ECONOMIC action. I suggest we use the baht buses as charters if we need a charter and BOYCOTT the taxi meter drivers. Maybe someday they will get the message that people want to have a Bangkok style system here. Your idea of complaining to city hall about the taxi meters is absurd. Edit: unless you are a THAI.

Edited by Jingthing