Antioxidants & Pharmanex In Thailand

elkangorito

Today (25/7/08) at my Thai college, I was introduced to an amazing thing called a Biophotonic Scanner. The pleasant (Thai) people who attended told me (in English) that this amazing device could analise the amount of antioxidants in my body. They also told me that a low level of antioxidants was dangerous for my health. I proceeded with their "free" examination, which took about 5 minutes. The examination consisted of placing my hand against a laser scanner for a short period of time & also undergoing a leg-to-leg Bio Impedance test. The strange thing was that these people did not say that the "body" test was a leg-to-leg Bio Impedance test. They actually said that it was magnetic, which is a complete load of crap considering that leg-to-leg bioimpedance tests have absolutely nothing to do with magnetism. Why would they lie?

Amazingly, all my Thai colleagues have fallen for this sham & are now spending thousands of Baht on proprietry antioxidants.

What is the sham (in my opinion)?

Quite simply, antioxidants are a controversial point when it comes to cancer....or cancer prevention. Their "machine" measures carotine in the skin (via laser) & they suggest that low levels of antioxidants in your system are bad for your health. They have even produced a coloured scale whereby 5 groups are identified. I discovered that my level was in the "red" (the lowest level) & that I could increase this "bad" level by using the "antioxidants" prescribed (very expensive even though I was told that I was getting a 50% discount. Obviously meant for farangs.)

After about 7 hours of research on the web, I discovered a few things;

a] the average antioxidant level for the average person (not obese nor extreme in any way, shape or form) is about 18 000. My result was 10 800...yes, a bit on the low side according to them.

b] the use of antioxidants may not prevent cancer.

c] in many cases, the use of antioxidants has exacerbated cancer.

d] there is no clear link between biophotonically detected antoxidant levels & cancer such that decreased levels of antioxidants increase the risk of cancer. Please read this carefully...biophotonically detected.

Standing on a "magnetic" device, which measures many things...bone density included.

Claim: Standing on an "electronic device" can measure many things about your body.

Again, after many hours searching on the internet, I came up with one basic thing....BMI can be accurately measured by this leg-to-leg bio impedance test. Apart from this, no other information is accurate except for weight. This amazing "magnetic" machine (battery operated) even told me my bone density (which was poor). What a load of crap. My sisters (twins) & I have been studied to the enth degree by a university in Sydney. Except for one sister, my other sibling & I share an extremely high bone density. Our bones are very strong. This study concluded in 2006.

After being told that my antioxidants levels were dangerously low but everything else was relatively ok, it was suggested to me that I purchase a "Lifepak" supplement. They even gave me a sample taste of the liquid version (g3?). It was too sweet for me. I like spicy...not sweet. Maybe too much "spicy" food was lowering my antioxidant levels? Who gives a toss! Tomorrow, I could attempt to cross Sukumvit Rd & be killed by one of the many idiot drivers here. My fear is that the driver who kills me, uses Lifepak products.

From what I have gathered on the internet, the use of antioxidant supplements do not help. As a matter of fact, they can be detrimental if one has cancer (get tested for cancer before using antioxidant supplements).

By far, the best recommendation is to eat fresh fruit & vegetables....& NOT take supplements.

BTW, this amazing biophotonic crap comes from the University of Utah (DELETED). It is proving to be a great money spinner. It will no doubt help convert Thailand from a good place to a place like the USA (how wonderful...NOT!!!). I can totally understand why my Thai colleagues have totally fallen for this rubbish;

a] they are used to being programmed.

b] any place where the belief in ghosts is high, is a good area for this market.

c] blind "sheep" mentality.

This is such a shame as it will ultimately lead Thailand into the western world "consumerism" trap.

Data on antioxidants are conflicting and imcomplete. the most accurate thing that can be said is that there simply is not enough information about the likely effect of antioxidant supplementation on disease.

The "scan" machine, on the other hand, is quakery pure and simple. And it does not actually have any connection with the University of Utah or any other legitimate academic facility. For that reason as well as in keeping with forum rules regarding slurs against ethnic or religious groups I have deleted the derogatory reference.

I once took Vitamin E capsules on a daily bases, mainly as defense against antioxidants. I then read various reports stating that Vitamin E taken regularly could cause more problems that it was supposed to prevent.

I stopped taking them. My better half now uses the contents of the remaining Vitamin E capsules to moisturize her face.

I believe that health food companies promote many of their products on the fear factor. I won't go so far as to say that Anti-oxidants are all hocus pocus, but I put them in the same basket as global warming. Something yet to be proved.

Why bother with all this stuff. You can buy an amazing crystal and infuse your body with all sorts of good stuff. The power of the universe and all that crap.

My advice is to save your money and concentrate on a balanced and decent diet.

My wife falls for all this miracle crap and actually believes that this thousand baht bottle of some sort of juice is helping her. I'd like to see a bounty placed on the heads of people who market this garbage.

Back in the good old days when radiation was our friend, folks were touting radioactive items as cure-alls. Going bald, some gamma rays will fix that. Fat? Have some gamma rays. Same-same in this situation. Congrats to the the el-k for not being a sucker.

Anti-oxidants are being taken out of context by commercial enterprises. There is a definite and important role for anti-o's in our lives. I won't bore folks with the physiological and chemical reasons why, but naturally sourced anti-oxidants are better for us. By naturally sourced, I mean something like beans (red, kidney, pinto & black) or some spinach or some lightly cooked tomatos. Heck, even a peanut butter sandwich will do you good. Best of all, this will cost you a fraction of the cost of a magical potion. There are so many natural sources, that are part of a well balanced diet, there is no need for supplements. I hate sweet potato, but it's chock full of oxidants as is eggplant spinach and most legumes (like the peanut).

A wise person would heed el k. Save your money and invest in a varied vegetable diet and you won't need any snake oil remedies.

Data on antioxidants are conflicting and imcomplete. the most accurate thing that can be said is that there simply is not enough information about the likely effect of antioxidant supplementation on disease.

The "scan" machine, on the other hand, is quakery pure and simple. And it does not actually have any connection with the University of Utah or any other legitimate academic facility. For that reason as well as in keeping with forum rules regarding slurs against ethnic or religious groups I have deleted the derogatory reference.

Sheryl, I interested to know why you think that "the scan machine, on the other hand, is quakery pure and simple." I didn't find much info on the internet that was easily understood by non-medical science people such as myself. Can you elaborate?

Further, the people who gave me these tests, kept refering to the University of Utah. I've just done a search using the University of Utahs' search facility & did not find anything relevant. I searched for "biophotonic" & "antioxidant". Maybe somebody else can have better luck than me

My test results were listed as a "skin carotenoid score". After I was tested, I was told that the results were being sent to the University of Utah.

Edited by elkangorito

Sheryl, I interested to know why you think that "the scan machine, on the other hand, is quakery pure and simple." I didn't find much info on the internet that was easily understood by non-medical science people such as myself. Can you elaborate?

It is very simple: what it claims to measure cannot, scientifically, be measured in that way. To actually measure the levels of specific antioxidants in the blood requires a fairly sophisticated blood test.

The whole thing is a hoax, as are the claims that the results were being sent to the "University of Utah".

One wonders whether the contents of the supplements being sold are any more genuine than the claims made for the machine.....wouldn't be the first time alleged supplements were simply placebos.

It is very simple: what it claims to measure cannot, scientifically, be measured in that way. To actually measure the levels of specific antioxidants in the blood requires a fairly sophisticated blood test.

The whole thing is a hoax, as are the claims that the results were being sent to the "University of Utah".

One wonders whether the contents of the supplements being sold are any more genuine than the claims made for the machine.....wouldn't be the first time alleged supplements were simply placebos.

I understand your premise but I'm not totally convinced. Why can't antioxidant levels be measured by a laser/skin test? If possible, please try to simplify your answer.

On the internet, I read that such tests can be influenced by what you have eaten & drank within or before the hour of testing. Also, in my mind, a person who uses a vitamin A based hand cream, may also abstractly bias the laser carotenoid skin test since this laser test is performed upon the hand.

Your comments appreciated.