Bail Controversy : Court Frees Tourists’ Killer

george

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is totally thailand and yes it's not surprising for us who have lived here for some years ... BUT IT IS STILL SO AUDACIOUS AND SUCH A BLATANT SLAP IN THE FACE OF JUSTICE THAT RANTING AND RAVING IS NECESSARY ... MANDATORY, EVEN ... radiobangkok looped it as the sole story during the thai news ...

Get aload of this:

Policeman suspected of killing tourists bailed

10/11/2004 - 09:19:26

A Thai court has released on bail a policeman accused of gunning down a young British couple two months ago, sparking fears that he might try to intimidate witnesses, a prosecuting lawyer said today.

Sergeant Somchai Visetsingha is accused of killing Vanessa Arscott, 24, and Adam Lloyd, 25, on September 9. He was freed on November 2 on an unspecified amount of bail by a provincial court in the popular western tourist town of Kanchanaburi, said chief public prosecutor Pichet Kasetsin.

The suspect must appear in court on Friday, he said.

Judge Narong Suthamkoson said today that the court decided to free Somchai on bail of €18,700 so he could seek medical treatment and on the condition that he not intimidate witnesses or try to escape.

Medical records showed the suspect was suffering from broken ribs, and he also has three sons to care for, Narong told reporters.

A spokesman for the British Embassy in Bangkok declined to comment on the decision.

Somchai eluded a massive manhunt for nearly a month, but admitted to the killings after surrendering to police last month. Police had offered a €1,900 reward for help in his capture.

“The prosecution is concerned that the suspect, who faces a severe punishment if the court finds him guilty, might use his influence to harass the witnesses or make them change their statements,” Pichet said.

Details about the witnesses were unavailable, but The Nation newspaper reported that most of the 16 bystanders were reluctant to sign statements against Somchai.

“This is because the suspect is a policeman and they are afraid of retaliation because they all live nearby,” the newspaper quoted police Colonel Vej Somboon as saying.

Somchai’s trial had been delayed after he petitioned the court to change the charges against him to killing out of anger and self-defence, from pre-emptive murder and killing to cover up wrongdoing.

The initial charges carry a maximum penalty of death, but killing out of anger and self-defence would likely be punishable by a prison term, Pichet said.

Somchai has said he drew his pistol and shot Lloyd after the Briton spat in his face during an argument.

Somchai said he did not intend to kill Arscott, but he unknowingly ran into her with his car as she was trying to stop him from fleeing. After dragging her body for about 200 metres, he said he stopped his car and shot her in his panic to escape.

Kanchanaburi province is about 70 miles west of the capital, Bangkok.

The area attracts foreign tourists for its natural beauty and because it is the site of the infamous bridge over the River Kwai, where Japanese troops built a railway using prisoners of war during World War II.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/11/10/story175148.html

I just don't get it. Does Taksin not have any power in this country. I understand that he is an educated man. Does he not realize what this kind of thing does to tourism. Do the hotel owners and the internationl businessmen have no say in what happens to this lowlife cop. This cop is not some high ranking politician yet they let him out on bail and I assume we will never see him again. It's like the keystone cops are in charge.

Some years ago had a run in with this Alpha Hotel. He was at time furoughed out of Kanchanaburi to Ratchaburi area. He was nortoriuos for his escapades. When I had run with him at my restuarant he pulled a 357 but lucky for me a couple of off duty police were there and when he saw them lowered his gun and walked out. I made a report but to no avail. I heard later he obtained the Guesthouse/restuarant by dubious means. He is scum.

the law of thailand makes it possible, to change both names in 10 minutes. if the policeman will do it, his best friends will not find him again, because they are not looking in his face. they are looking at the ID-card and will say: "this must be an other one!"

Thailand must be one of the sickest societies in the world, HEY I am being way too generous Thailand is the sickest society in the world.

I have said it before and will say it again Thailand will never be anything other than a third rate third world country.

Someone has said that the head waiter was an educated man. You can buy anything with money even a PhD and Somchai whilst not in the same league as the head waiter is coming up through the ranks very fast.

I may not write to any of the international newspapers BUT I will certainly be telling anyone who has his ears turned on what a low life society you have in Thailand.

Christ they make sick in the stomach. :o

Don't know what the fuss is about. This is quite clearly a matter of self defence and a general misunderstanding. After all the Thai police are here to help and protect us all and you cant believe all your read in the papers. I am sure that if anything was amiss then our Great Leader would have said or done something.

Don't know what the fuss is about.  This is quite clearly a matter of self defence and a general misunderstanding.  After all the Thai police are here to help and protect us all and you cant believe all your read in the papers.  I am sure that if anything was amiss then our Great Leader would have said or done something.

:o

The policeman has turned himself over to face the allegations, as honourable citizens do. He admitted to the killings, and explained his need to defend himself and temporarily loose his sense of judgement during the events.

So it is reasonable to grant bail.

Furthermore, it transpires that the 2 foreigners were drug addicts who insulted and attacked the policeman. The man died as a result from weakness due to fasting. The 16 so-called witnesses have one by one withdrawn their statements since last Thursday, they admit to have given false reports because of envy and illwill to the policeman, and will be fined or imprisoned for their slanderous acts.

Only now has the policeman the chance to be treated for the injuries inflicted by the foreigners, and attend to the welfare of his family. On the basis of his honesty and service to the community he is commended for promotion to join the tourist police in Chiang Mai, who have also been unjustly accused by journalists and foreign officials whose presence in Thailand poses a security risk to the nation.

Welcome, farang tourists!

:(

Ohhh well that surely has put a damper on the "Sound and Light Show" in Kan this year. :D

Ironically this year’s Show is called “Return to the River Kwai – The Death Railway” (I read this in their hand-out pamphlet). :o

On the Photo below it also mentioned “Relive the History of the River Kwai” in Yellow :)

And then, there was me, next week, going to post this "Sound and Light Show" on T.V.Dot.Com. Not a good way now to promote Kan is it? :D

large.jpg-_-

I will be there. Let’s see and I will do some shooting myself with my camera of course.

large.jpg:D

Sound an Light Show Click this for more photo's.

Sad days for Kan once again. :D

P.S. What has the Buffalo got to do with the River Kwae anyway ? :wub:

A KWAI or two below

large.jpg

Your's as always

Happy Days in Thailand

Kan Win :)

Thailand must be one of the sickest societies in the world, HEY I am being way too generous Thailand is the sickest society in the world.

I have said it before and will say it again Thailand will never be anything other than a third rate third world country.

Someone has said that the head waiter was an educated man. You can buy anything with money even a PhD and Somchai whilst not in the same league as the head waiter is coming up through the ranks very fast.

I may not write to any of the international newspapers BUT I will certainly be telling anyone who has his ears turned on what a low life society you have in Thailand.

Christ they make sick in the stomach.  :o

Agree 100%.

Too many farangs making excuses for Thais

Christ they make sick in the stomach.   :D

Agree 100%.

Too many farangs making excuses for Thais

Hear Hear....

And before you start with "well why do you come here then", I aint there, and I don't plan on going back any time soon. After 4 years of getting treated like a second class citizen in a third world country, when I was 100% polite ALL the time, I will take my money else where.

The only other country I have seen this complacent arrogance towards farangs, is Vietnam. And they can go fukc themselves too. :o