Is Eating Street Food Safe?

thaiman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fresh, safe and delicious. (some of the best thai food in thailand is from the street carts) :o:D

Delicious maybe. Fresh? - well if lying in the sun for the whole day with flies buzzing around it before being cooked is fresh, then it's darned fresh. But safe? Doubt it. Even if it doesn't give you a stomach upset, the sourcing of the cheap ingredients can be a problem. When fish are killed by dropping poison in some canal or river, the fish end up on cheap stalls. I've seen half pigs being transported in the backs of pick ups and I bet I know where it ends up. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes eat in street stalls, but my Thai friend definitely refuses on health grounds. And have you seen those friendly cuddly rats running over your feet when you eat at these places? The restaurants owners and customers rarely even bat an eyelid.

Fresh, safe and delicious. (some of the best thai food in thailand is from the street carts) :o:D

Delicious maybe. Fresh? - well if lying in the sun for the whole day with flies buzzing around it before being cooked is fresh, then it's darned fresh. But safe? Doubt it. Even if it doesn't give you a stomach upset, the sourcing of the cheap ingredients can be a problem. When fish are killed by dropping poison in some canal or river, the fish end up on cheap stalls. I've seen half pigs being transported in the backs of pick ups and I bet I know where it ends up. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes eat in street stalls, but my Thai friend definitely refuses on health grounds. And have you seen those friendly cuddly rats running over your feet when you eat at these places? The restaurants owners and customers rarely even bat an eyelid.

I tend to look at the meat before eating it to ensure it's fresh. I've heard that re-using the oil can and the condition that the frying pan is in could be be dangerous to your health. Also, the white rice that is used is of low quality? What are your thoughts?

Well the vendours cook daily and shop at the market in the wee am hrs. So I'll stick by my fresh mantra. Sanitary prob not, but I might add - have a look in the kitchens of a restaurant and I guaranteed if you worry about cleanliness, critters, and low standards - you will be shocked. :D Mind you - don't see it, so alright if you dont know. :o

Edited by britmaveric

So where do u eat then? Probably your food comes from the same place as were the food stall people get theres from. Or maybe you eat that heart attack farang food.

I would say fairly safe my 34 years (15 in resident here) of eat with street vendor never had a problem. One can get a bird eye view of the cleaness practice of the vendor on the street. Got some bad food once at a local eatery(cafe). I now give most resturants that I don't know a wide wide berth unless recommended by a trusted Thai friend that eat there/knows the place. :D:o:D

Edited by BigSnake

Of course one wonders. So do I .....still.........after 3 years.

Fact is I never ever had a problem after eating at a food stall.

But , Gosh was I sick for days when I had meals at 2 posh restaurants, one in Bkk the other one in Phuket.

I sometimes eat in street stalls, but my Thai friend definitely refuses on health grounds.

Thais know its not always the cleanest but ive never met one that doesnt eat some kind of street food.

There was a programme about how sandwiches are made by the big UK companies these factories were far dirtier then any street restaurant where at least you get to see how clean or dirty the cooking facilities are.

Let's just put it this way, I get most of my food from streetvendors, because we have tons of them just outside my apartment, and never experienced any problems. Not all the dishes they make there are great, but for some dishes I have my own perferred street vendor, which I would get in the taxi for.

But while in Bangkok, I would never eat at a normal restaurant (except on special occasions), and why would I want to, I have to get in a taxi, wait longer and pay considerably more.

I sometimes eat in street stalls, but my Thai friend definitely refuses on health grounds.

Thais know its not always the cleanest but ive never met one that doesnt eat some kind of street food.

There was a programme about how sandwiches are made by the big UK companies these factories were far dirtier then any street restaurant where at least you get to see how clean or dirty the cooking facilities are.

Edited by zorro1

Some people have a "Thai friend" here to justify there point of view regarding Thai stuff they are not really sure about. I will bet my left nut that this Thai person doesnt exist so eat the food dude its bloody good stuff!!

I eat the meat and fish off the street but i couldnt eat Thai food even if it was made by Thailands greatest chef, which means eating English/Italian food that costs a lot in LOS.

How safe is it to eat on the street?

Always have Motillium and I mmodium with you, but all in all, it is ok to eat if meat or fish for example is fried.Avoid juices, every supermarket has them rifrigator.Papaya salad also requires attention, but I always stay 3 months in wintertime, and never get sick. Mostly I eat from street or market in Chiang Mai or Phrae.Restaurants are no guaranty of better quality food exept the most welknown who are to expensive for most Thai people.

Will it give you cancer? - Maybe. Will it make you sick?- for me never in all the years.

I have an Indian friend who says that Indian street food will make you sick. I believe her, but sorry Tyke experience tells me you're talking absolute rubbish.

Keep your wits about you if it's green or stinks don't eat it.

EDIT: except things that should be green, like vegetables

Edited by Slip

I've never had problems with thai street food, but if you're worried try to keep to establishments that are busy, this decreases the chance the food has been left standing for a too long and hey..if its good enough for the thais its good enough for you.. :o

I've never had problems with thai street food, but if you're worried try to keep to establishments that are busy, this decreases the chance the food has been left standing for a too long and hey..if its good enough for the thais its good enough for you.. :o

They are used to it. When Thai people who already live a long time in Europe, than go back, let us say after 2 years, they face the same problem, but just be carefull... and enjoy

I eat from street vendors, haven't gotten sick. But I'm sometimes picky about which ones I eat at. I eat at khao man gai, ba mi, jok, and kaw moo stands. I rarely eat curry from stands, as most of the meat is just so low quality, filled with gristle and bones, that it's inedible. In general, I prefer Thai food from supermarkets, over street stands. A nice bag of curry at Tesco or Big C costs 20-30 baht, and there are no bones or gristle in it.

Probably not too safe, and after all woud you do it in your own country, let alone in a very hot climate.

If you stick to the stalls and street cafes that serve basics, eg, noodles, fried rice, and a have a high turnover of customers then ok, personally never had a problem.

I rarely touch fish dishes, certainly not shellfish, and don't buy prepared fruit off the street, the latter because the fruit may have been sitting around in contaminated water.

A dose of food poisoning out here can be particularly nauseating as often the virus/bacteria has had ample opportunity to multiply and produce toxins as well. Result- 24 hours of hel_l.

The idea of getting used to germs ? Is that a myth by the way? I'd love to know, and my guess is that it is a myth as poison is poison and we're not subject to the germs long enough to develop immunity. Any medical bod know?

Street food is loaded with Monosodium Glutamate, MSG. Some is already in prepared food, the rest is added, even to a fresh salad. MSG is a neurotoxin. Side effects include arrhythmia, (irregular heartbeat) and cardiac arrest, (death). Every person has a different sensitivity to MSG, and you wont know your sensitivity till your heat starts missing beats and thumping in your chest. Cardiac arrest from MSG does not have a good history of revival. Two young Thai workers died in Singapore a few months ago from cardiac arrest after a meal. I wonder why??? If you care a little about your health, ask the vendor NOT to add pong-churod, MSG. Most supermarket prepared foods, bacon, sausages, prepared meats, and many canned goods, potato crisps etc, already have it in. If your food stall cooks fresh meats, and makes you a fresh salad, you can ask them not to add pongchurod. After a few visits, they will smile when you approach for your meal, saying.. no ponchurod.

Probably not too safe, and after all woud you do it in your own country, let alone in a very hot climate.

If you stick to the stalls and street cafes that serve basics, eg, noodles, fried rice, and a have a high turnover of customers then ok, personally never had a problem.

I rarely touch fish dishes, certainly not shellfish, and don't buy prepared fruit off the street, the latter because the fruit may have been sitting around in contaminated water.

A dose of food poisoning out here can be particularly nauseating as often the virus/bacteria has had ample opportunity to multiply and produce toxins as well. Result- 24 hours of hel_l.

The idea of getting used to germs ? Is that a myth by the way? I'd love to know, and my guess is that it is a myth as poison is poison and we're not subject to the germs long enough to develop immunity. Any medical bod know?

A couple of bottles of Chang normally washes everything down! My G/F always asks for food without MSG. Remember it was burgers, etc that apparently caused BSE (and I was convinced that it was excessive amounts of lager that brought on mad cow disease.)