Car Engine Steam Cleaning

uptheos

Not to sound like a pedantic Motorhead....not that that ever stopped me....

That high pressure steam cleaning of engines has fallen by the wayside in the developed countries. Couple of reasons.

One is that the simple desire for cleanliness is trumped by the toll on the environment. All the oil on the engine washed off just goes into a gutter, and into the nearest river/watersource, etc. This is why in the US the self serve car washes with pressure hoses direly warn against this practice. Of course, everyone ignores this there, but the water is nonetheless collected, filtered, and recycled in these facilities. Here I guarantee the oil will end up in the Ping.

Two is that most auto techs will recommend against this practice. You are going to force water into places that the various seals/gaskets were not designed to deflect. Engines nowadays have dozens of electronic sensors. In the olden days you could just put a piece of aluminum foil over the distributor cap, and spray away. Now, you probably will get water into sensors, and cause corrosion. Not good.

I suggest you buy some kind of "green" cleaner/solvent. In the US they sell one called "Simple Green". Spray it all over a warm engine; let it sit for a few minutes. Then run a gentle flow of water from a garden hose- this will clean up most of the dirt and oil. Of course this practice will still despoil the environment.

Just my 25 satang's worth.

PS Your engine won't run any better or cooler, just because you cleaned it off. But I will admit that I kept my auto engines gleaming in showroom condition always. I just tried to apply good practices to minimize pollution to the environment.

Hug a tree, Kiss a frog, then when your ash tray is full or motor is dirty, buy a new car....... but make sure the money that you pay with are all crisp, clean bills.

Short of that, some second hand info.

I was told that the gas station across from the old Riverside Rest. / Goodview, does the cleaning there. Supposedly pick up and delivered. This is only hearsay now.

Gonzo