Thai Girls Lay'em On Their Backs

Andrew Hicks

This forum usefully discusses many important issues relating to aspects of Thai culture and tradition that the farang tribes find strange and fascinating and I'd like to raise perhaps the last one that has not yet been covered.

It's absolutely serious and relates to the fact that bananas are always curved.

I have observed that when a Thai woman lays down a hand of bananas she will invariably put them on their back. The consequence is that they quickly become bruised and go brown and horrible.

I always turn them over so that they lie on their tips and on the stem and so suffer no damage. Yet when I return to the cupboard I often find they have reverted to the prone position, not I assume of their own accord.

Why is this so? Why do bananas in Thailand always thus lie on their backs?

Is it to do with the spirits? Could it represent a symbolic emasculation of the male gender? Yes, it's always the ladies what does it, and not just because they are the principal handlers of bananas.

I'm anxious for your feedback please.

Urgently!

Edited by Andrew Hicks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Has hand raised) "I think I know the answer".

If they are ripe bananas, when you lay them on the tips/stem, the bananas easily become separated from the stem. Then of course you have lots of single, messy bananas and not a neat bunch.

Fascinating, the things I learn from ThaiVisa! :o

I should go straight home and check my bananas but I never buy them because I don't like bananas.

Anyhow the mind boggles.

Wifey : "What are you doing in the kitchen?"

Husband : "Nothing dear, just checking my bananas."

I think this must be an individual difference. My Thai friend has told me always keep them on the tip and stem side down. It might be a little like the argument about toilet paper, should it go under or over on the roll--of course, that's not relevant here where it's used on the other end!

Dear Aunt Aggie

I have a dilemma, having just checked the banana stock I discover that they are laid on their backs, now if I try to change them to tip down they then tend to lay on their side. :o

What should I do, short of eating them all in one sitting :D I am at a loss for a solution. Please advise to avoid sleepless nights.

TBWG :D

Bananas are currently considered a short shelf life commodity.

Extended storage of bananas can be accomplished when ripening is not induced by a large ethylene exposure.

Development of an extended shelf life banana process should be possible by applying treatments such as Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) storage and 1-Methyl cyclopropene (MCP) to lower the rate of respiration and block ethylene receptor sites.

:o

Store bananas in your refrigerator and they will stay fresh in the peel for a few extra days. The outside might turn dark but the inside will be fine.

ps The prior statement about peeling your banana from the bottom to avoid "strings" is true.

My office in Liverpool dates from 1810 and was a banana warehouse which when I first heard I thought it a spoof. It's true though, the fruit exchange was next door and you don't store bananas with fruit as the fruit will ripen and go off quicker!

Strange but true...

This is a typical case of outright banana abuse. I noticed that it is not only Thai woman who are in violation of the banana law, but it is a worldwide matter.

I suggest the involvement of the UN. Come to think of it, I have seen things done to bananas and with bananas which are ... Sorry cannot go on, it would be too much... :o

<deleted> this has just gotta be one of the funniest threads of all time and no-one even mentioned watching their wife eating a banana. Just to keep the trivia going:-

In 2001, there were more than 300 banana-related accidents in Britain, most involving people slipping on skins.

Banana plants are the largest plants on earth without a woody stem. They are actually giant herbs of the same family as lilies, orchids and palms.

When you compare it to an apple, a banana has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around. So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

Enough is enough but maybe I should get to like bananas.

<deleted> this has just gotta be one of the funniest threads of all time and no-one even mentioned watching their wife eating a banana. Just to keep the trivia going:-

In 2001, there were more than 300 banana-related accidents in Britain, most involving people slipping on skins.

Banana plants are the largest plants on earth without a woody stem. They are actually giant herbs of the same family as lilies, orchids and palms.

When you compare it to an apple, a banana has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around. So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

Enough is enough but maybe I should get to like bananas.

Not liking bananas is depriving yourself of probably 2 major food groups, Phil. I consider that that to be rather irresponsible behaviour on your part. :o

we are banana addicts but only buy when in season here... and they lay on their backs or on their sides, never last long enough in the fruit bowl to go bad; and i buy over ripe bananas at half price to make banana bread, the only sweet cake my husband will touch (falang food, yechchchch!)... and picking bananas is back breaking and scary (up high in a mini tractor that can flip over) work ...

bina

israel

According to an old wives' tale, a pregnant woman should eat bananas if she wants a baby boy (no prizes for guessing how this idea came about :o ). There is now scientific evidence to support this -- appears to be the potassium.

According to a conflicting old wives' tale (may be a Chinese one), pregnant women should avoid bananas as they can cause miscarriage.

There is a man in Sydney who collects the stickers from bananas.