Angkor Wat...yes Or No... ?

Shrek

Is it worth the trip from Pattaya taking into account the cost of visas for me , wife and 2 small kids ?

Plus I am told £20 each to get in ?

If yes how to travel there

Have distant family in Sa Kaeo then am off to sakhon nakhon and on to chang mai

Is it worth the trip from Pattaya taking into account the cost of visas for me , wife and 2 small kids ?

Its well worth the trip, the issue is how you get there...by road...takes a long time, still think the "highway" is a dirt road...but cheap yes....you have two small kids so most likely not the best way to travel.

By air....very convienient but very expensive...

VOA- $20 if you have photos - $22 if you dont have photos at the airport

Angkor $20/day per person, think kids are cheaper

Also have departure tax as well if flying and think thats $20/person as well to get out

Been to Angkor 3 times - once with me and the wife and the other two time have had relatives on holiday

in Thailand and made the trip with them, all have enjoyed it....have travelled once by road (never again)

If you can afford to fly...fly...also maybe look at the package tours on offer around Pattaya, think the last one I bought was all in THB 22,000 per adult....includes flights, all transport, tour guide, entry to Angkor and all meals - 3 days/2nights.

You have all confirmed what I thought, thats its not easy or cheap.

On the map it looks like a quick 2 hour shufty down the highway from Ka Seao !

Am tempted to spend our time in Isan with family and take the in laws to Vientiane for a few days as a treat for them (see separate post)

Maybe even a week in Chang Mai.

Thanks

Its well worth the trip, the issue is how you get there...by road...takes a long time, still think the "highway" is a dirt road...but cheap yes....you have two small kids so most likely not the best way to travel.

By air....very convienient but very expensive...

VOA- $20 if you have photos - $22 if you dont have photos at the airport

Angkor $20/day per person, think kids are cheaper

Also have departure tax as well if flying and think thats $20/person as well to get out

Been to Angkor 3 times - once with me and the wife and the other two time have had relatives on holiday

in Thailand and made the trip with them, all have enjoyed it....have travelled once by road (never again)

If you can afford to fly...fly...also maybe look at the package tours on offer around Pattaya, think the last one I bought was all in THB 22,000 per adult....includes flights, all transport, tour guide, entry to Angkor and all meals - 3 days/2nights.

You have all confirmed what I thought, thats its not easy or cheap.

On the map it looks like a quick 2 hour shufty down the highway from Ka Seao !

Am tempted to spend our time in Isan with family and take the in laws to Vientiane for a few days as a treat for them (see separate post)

Maybe even a week in Chang Mai.

Thanks

Let's not forget that Angkor is one of the world wonders.

If it's not worth the trip for you fair enough.

But imagine in the future your children will be able to say : I've been there!

just my thoughts, I have been there and it's magic.

cheers

onzestan

The Thais are not too popular in Cambodia right now and the border crossing is stressful enough on your own, let alone taking kids. Why not take them to Phnom Rung and Muang Dtam in Buriram province. Restored Cambodian ruins well worth a visit. You can't possibly see the Angkor site in a day anyway..it is huge.

Well, unfortunately some of the world's great wonders weren't built with super highways in mind. Been to the Pyramids in Egypt? How about the Taj Majal? Grand Canyon? Always easier to go to Cairo, or New Delhi, or Phoenix. But none of those places will create the indelible memories that the pyraminds, Taj Majal, Grand Canyon or Ankor Wat will. Air conditioned bars in Pattaya aren't the center of the universe.

I loved Angkor Wat, and had a dream fulfilled when i finally was able to see it.

If you do decide to go, may i suggest booking with a tuktuk for a sunrise trip (easy to arrange with any driver or the hotel). YOu can arrange to see other temples too (Definitely recommend seeing Preah Khan. For me more beautiful than Angkor Wat and im sure your kids would love it. Looks so magical! Also Angkor Thom, the temple with all the faces, but i didnt find that one as interesting as Angkor Wat). If you take the sunrise trip you will arrive at Angkor Wat whilst it is still dark. The sounds of insects around you are amazing as you make your way by torchlight (dont forget to take a torch) over the Temple grounds. Then you can sit and watch the temple emerge in the skyline ahead as the sun rises (you can also do a sunset one if you like). There is even guys around who will make you fresh coffee whilst you sit.

An interesting website with a temple map and links can be found at: http://www.canbypublications.com/siemreap/srtemples.htm

Tip if you go: take along small change as there are a LOT of people wanting to sell things..and you may find it difficult especially as many of the people trying to sell things are kiddies. Buying a couple of postcards and bracelets etc from them is really not too expensive, and you will probably be blown away by how much English (and other languages) these kids can speak and the general knowledge on your country that they have learned to help pitch their sales.

Siem Reap has a lot to offer by way of a holiday/trip in my opinion (no idea how difficult it is to live there or if my views would change if i were to stay there). I found the people to be friendly, the history dramatic, the architecture amazing, and the food good ..I really enjoyed the short time i spent there ( i guess you can tell :o ).

I loved Angkor Wat, and had a dream fulfilled when i finally was able to see it.

If you do decide to go, may i suggest booking with a tuktuk for a sunrise trip (easy to arrange with any driver or the hotel). YOu can arrange to see other temples too (Definitely recommend seeing Preah Khan. For me more beautiful than Angkor Wat and im sure your kids would love it. Looks so magical! Also Angkor Thom, the temple with all the faces, but i didnt find that one as interesting as Angkor Wat). If you take the sunrise trip you will arrive at Angkor Wat whilst it is still dark. The sounds of insects around you are amazing as you make your way by torchlight (dont forget to take a torch) over the Temple grounds. Then you can sit and watch the temple emerge in the skyline ahead as the sun rises (you can also do a sunset one if you like). There is even guys around who will make you fresh coffee whilst you sit.

An interesting website with a temple map and links can be found at: http://www.canbypublications.com/siemreap/srtemples.htm

Tip if you go: take along small change as there are a LOT of people wanting to sell things..and you may find it difficult especially as many of the people trying to sell things are kiddies. Buying a couple of postcards and bracelets etc from them is really not too expensive, and you will probably be blown away by how much English (and other languages) these kids can speak and the general knowledge on your country that they have learned to help pitch their sales.

Siem Reap has a lot to offer by way of a holiday/trip in my opinion (no idea how difficult it is to live there or if my views would change if i were to stay there). I found the people to be friendly, the history dramatic, the architecture amazing, and the food good ..I really enjoyed the short time i spent there ( i guess you can tell :o ).

Now look what you done

The others all try and talk me out of it and you go and sell it back to me

ok heres the plan

leave the kids with in laws in Sa Kaeo take wife to angkor wat

take kids to other ruins in thailand.....got to remember they have been in england 2 years they are more bothered about water parks !!

You wont regret it. Amazing.

3 day pass for $40

If you get the 1 day pass you can enter the day before after, I think, 5pm. i.e turn up at 5pm (maybe a bit earlier - cant remember for sure) to buy a ticket for the next day and you can go straight in after purchasing ticket.

Maybe the same deal is available on all passes.

A little tip to avoid the crowds.

If you go to the Angkor Wat temple for the sunrise (recommended for the classic photo) do not explore the temple complex after seeing the sunrise. Instead, leave and visit the other temples and ruins close by (Bayon etc). You will be able to wander in peace while the sunrise mob explore Angkor Wat (which is HUGE) and long before the tour buses turn up.

Have a great trip.

As above, Angkor Wat really is one of the world's don't-miss-in-your-lifetime places.

The site is vast and worth a detailed look, so plan on getting the three-day ticket.

Most importantly, there's a lot of traipsing involved, and when the weather's hot and humid, that's a lot of pretty uncomfortable traipsing. You'll enjoy Angkor a lot more if you head there in January or February when the weather's cool and dry, at least relative to the rest of the year.

Edited by taxout

After the sunrise trip, for me anyway, the bus loads of tourist were still not around for an hour or 2. At times i was even totally on my own. THe other times there were people around they were pretty much silent as though in a library. I think all were awe struck and didnt wish to distrurb the silence. However, i may have just been lucky and others have experienced loud yacking tourists.

The other reason I think its a good idea to go is that you dont know when they might start cordoning off the area and restricting how visitors can view it. I remember my disappointment at not being able to get close to Stone Henge. Part of Angkor Wat's (and the other temples) amazingness (poetic license on that word pls!) is the fact you can walk around freely and touch the stone work.