Oil Rig Work

zorro1

I just got back to BKK after a visit to my birth country Serbia and was quite surprised to find out their monthly wage starts at around 250 euros for unskilled labour. My cousin is desperate to make some descent money and I thought I might try posting here for some advice as there seems to be a lot of oil rig workers flying back to Thailand for down time. Anybody know where to start ? He is 40 super fit but speaks practically no English. Where should he start to look for this type of work?

Non English speakers are worth very little on the international market. To have any chance of getting on in todays world he must be fluent in the master races language :D

Even the Chinese understand this reality :o

Never heard Australians refered to as the master race before, but I guess if the cap fits, I'll wear it.

Non English speakers are worth very little on the international market. To have any chance of getting on in todays world he must be fluent in the master races language :D

Even the Chinese understand this reality :o

Never heard Australians refered to as the master race before, but I guess if the cap fits, I'll wear it.

Please my friend and relative; need i remind you of your heratige :D

Speaking English is an advantage that is for sure, however if your cousin is an engineer/mechanic or electritian he would have no problem.

Just google drilling contractors or check out this web site and post his CV. www.rigzone.com

There is an idustry wide shortage of skilled and qualified people in the oil and gas industry.

FD :o

Speaking English is an advantage that is for sure, however if your cousin is an engineer/mechanic or electritian he would have no problem.

Just google drilling contractors or check out this web site and post his CV. www.rigzone.com

There is an idustry wide shortage of skilled and qualified people in the oil and gas industry.

FD :D

Read the OPs post: he states - or intimates his breathern is unskilled and speaks not the master races language :o

FD :o

Thanks that site looks helpful. I guess what I really need to know is how much English is needed? His daughter speaks perfect English so I guess she could teach him but how much is enough? hopefully some one currently employed in the field can advise

Edited by zorro1

Read the OPs post: he states - or intimates his breathern is unskilled and speaks not the master races language :o

Exactly, he does not state what his cousin is, hence the use of the word IF, as for the master race language, I thought that was Scottish.

I would suggest try and start on his home turf - If he is hard working he could build himself up to international ex pat level in time.

I know of an Indonesian chap who started of as a painter on the rigs, he is now the manager for a reputable drilling rig.

Good luck

Edited by choppychugger

With no skills, no English 40 years old....

The chances are very slim indeed, the Oil contractors can pick up cheap labour from countries like Philipines who speak English.

Very true Maigo - but they can also pick up cheap labour from the Uk. Short true anicdote: I was working in a shipyard in Falmouth some years ago, when during the nightshift i struck up a conversatioon with an old English guy whom was employed to stand-by a compressor. He observed a few of the ships crews comings and goings and commented ' well i'm glad i'm not one of them working for a few dollars and a bag of rice per day'. I asked him what he as being paid - and it turned out he was being paid considerably less than the crew - not to consider the relative aspect!!

Unskilled FD so just looking for manual labour

There are agencies in Italy and Croatia that provide man power for drilling activites in the Med.

He should try them, I have worked with quite a few guys from Croatia, Serbia and Slovina, but not in the Med, but that is where they started. Same with most of the rig pigs here would have started working in the GOM or North Sea.

English is an advantage, but not set in stone. But the more he learns the better.

Apply for work as roustabout and then work up from there. The vast majority of senior people in the drilling industry started at the bottom and worked up. But it does take time and a lot of effort. There are several big companies that do employ guys from all over the world. Also recently these companies are starting to pay people for the position and not the passport, last year somebody from East Europe was getting paid less than somebody from US and UK now they are paid the same. A few months ago a guy I worked with from Romania got a 44% pay rise to bring his salary in line with the standard salary for his position.

It may take time and alot of e-mails and may never happen, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

FD

I just got back to BKK after a visit to my birth country Serbia and was quite surprised to find out their monthly wage starts at around 250 euros for unskilled labour. My cousin is desperate to make some descent money and I thought I might try posting here for some advice as there seems to be a lot of oil rig workers flying back to Thailand for down time. Anybody know where to start ? He is 40 super fit but speaks practically no English. Where should he start to look for this type of work?

I work in the O&G offshore and to be honest, dont think your cousin would have a hope in hel_l outside possibly the med.

Some people will comments that the industry is crying out for people.... buts its qualified/experienced people they are looking for.

Know of people being conned into paying big money to do the BS safety courses for the north sea as they told they "will get a job easy" and then find they cant find jobs.

Your cousin would need to 1. learn some English.. 2. Go and get some marketable skill required for offshore and he might..just might have a chance..

Thanks everyone for good advice and Soutpeel I will let him know what you advise as I also was under the impression that just having arms and legs was enough for a start but sounds like he has a bit of planning to do , thanks again

I worked the patch in northern Canada for a while. If your friend is 40, has never worked on a rig, and can't speak English... I would give him pretty low chances of getting on a rig.

Edited by justinl

Some people will comments that the industry is crying out for people.... buts its qualified/experienced people they are looking for.

Know of people being conned into paying big money to do the BS safety courses for the north sea as they told they "will get a job easy" and then find they cant find jobs.

I've tried a few times to get a job on an oil rig but to no avail.

I personally know one guy who has worked on oil rigs for most of his life & he was as much help as a glass door on a shithouse in helping me to find an "oil rig" job.

Another "oil rig" guy, whom I met at a bar in Australia, told me to do some BS "safety" course. He also told me that he was almost dragged into the job.

Both of the above people are electricians & both of them, in my opinion, aren't worth a pinch of electrical poo compared to most other electricians I know & also compared to my electrical experience etc.

It reminds me of the days of trying to get a job in a coal mine (in Australia). Basically, you couldn't get a job unless you were a member of the appropriate union. In other words, a "boys club".

I really do not know the reason why people focus on oil rig work - In terms of the amount of opportunities and rates of pay there are far more options onshore (OK maybe the leave cycle attracts some).

Not only are there more opportunities in the onshore O&G business but it is also a route to working offshore if that is where you really want to be.

Part of the reason for the difference in opportunities is the sheer size of onshore projects, the wider range of skills and crafts required and the fact that there are so many more onshore projects.

To put that in perspective. The project I am working on is demobilizing right now - but for the past two years has had a manpower level of 45000 personnel. We have another project of the same scale further down the coast from here and three more of similar scale over on the other coast.

If I was looking to get into the industry then the place I would start is at home on an O&G or other Process Construction Project and then I'd probably head out the Black sea oil states.

Onshore or offshore work in Thailand is available but is often the reserve of staff that have completed hard duty elsewhere.

--

That said, the leave cycle might not be a bad thing. I have a guy working for me who spent the 9 months previous to being assigned to this project on Standby in Rio - That's right 9 months getting paid to be on Standby in Rio. He actually called me up and near begged to be reassigned - He's been a great bonus to the team - he has some fabulous stories.

Edited by GuestHouse

One thing that should be emphasized to your cousin is that entry level positions on offshore rigs (starting out as roustabout then moving up to roughneck) is hard back-breaking work. At 40 years old he may want to think twice about taking this route. Most of the guys in these positions are in their 20s and 30s and are in great physical shape. At his age he would be better off getting some training in a skilled field like electrician or mechanic and trying to work his way up the ladder that way. Besides, just as other posters have already said, being 40 and speaking nearly no english will make it very difficult for him to even get his foot in the door. If he still wants to give it a shot then more power to him, but be forewarned; it ain't easy.

Thanks that site looks helpful. I guess what I really need to know is how much English is needed? His daughter speaks perfect English so I guess she could teach him but how much is enough? hopefully some one currently employed in the field can advise

I'm offshore right now.. And I'm certain we could find gainful employment out here for his daughter... :o

To be honest.. jokes aside. The chances of him getting a job are next to zero.. The crew here doing unskilled and menial manual tasks are all from the former Soviet Union or Poland and all of them to a man are fluent in English and have a technical qualification.. However they are only employed as roustabouts/riggers/galley hands. They are qualified but have little experience compared to the other Western expats .. Offshore experience counts above education unless you are a project/field engineer. The low paid no experience end of offshore work is a dog eat dog World.. Your relative wouldn't only be competing for work against other Europeans.. There are thousands of experienced English speaking Malaysians, Philipinos, Indonesians, Indians and even Burmese already doing the work.

Most guys of 40 out here (like myself) have 20 years of offshore work experience behind them. If my comapny hires trainees they prefer young guys in their early 20's with a basic technical qual and an abundance of common sense and practicality..