Need Some Advice

What's up guys?

I was wondering if you guys who've had experience with all this visa debacle may be able to help me decide what is best.

My girlfriend (Brazilian) is looking to get a visa to come to Thailand and wants to stay here for a long time (meaning we think it'll be longer than 3 months).

Thing is she wants to only get a one way ticket from Brazil.

We realise that she can get a visa once she arrives here but that's the 30 day visa right? Is it possible to get an extension after that? And is it possible to enter to country with a one way ticket like that?

I also might be able to get her a psuedo-job at one of my father's establishment so that we can apply for the non-immigrant multiple entry visa B but that really is last resort as there is so many hoops to jump through. But that way we can do the 90 days and do "runs" over 4 times correct?

So what I'm asking really is what is the best way to go about this? I have a girlfriend that wants to come to Thailand for an indefinite period of time. Which visa should we get her if at all?

Probably get a tourist Visa 60 days (can extend +30( days) 1900 baht at at immigration)

Then she can go on one way ticket.

For an indefinite period of time, age? , proffesion? income?

So if we apply for the tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Brazil she won't need a return ticket (or another one way ticket to a neighbouring country)? I've also heard otherwise. That she'll DEFINITELY need another ticket out of Thailand before getting on that plane. What's the deal?

She is coming to visit me there and basically "hanging out" for a while. Might get a job there, but not sure yet. If she does, she can switch to a work visa once there right? It'll be so much easier I guess.

PS. all the countries around Thailand can let her in for the visa runs correct?

I suggest that she try for a DOUBLE ENTRY tourist visa in Brazil. Some embassies are easy with those. You might have a problem in Brazil at the embassy if they ask to see her air ticket for any tourist visa, so if you are going to try, might as well ask for two entries. With two entries, she can play the game for a while, using those visas and also taking short trips to Cambodia 3 times to get 30 days each. She won't be able to stay for years this way easily, but at least she could stay for awhile.

If she gets a tourist visa she will probably be OK boarding the plane in Brazil with a 1 way ticket. However, it would be safer even with a visa to phone the airline she is using and ask them.

Another thing about the Thai embassy in Brazil. All she needs to do is contact the Thai embassy and ask what is required for a tourist visa application. If they say copy of airline ticket, I think she will have a problem getting any visa from them with a one way and no ticket out. Thai embassies and consulates throughout the world operate in unique ways. You have to ask.

Edited by Jingthing

thanks for clearing a lot of it up guys!

I mean, if they do require the ticket out, I can just get the cheap ticket to malaysia or something right?

And what's the deal with double entry visas? never heard of those. Sorry, I've never had to deal with visas myself before.

So if she gets that double entry visa approved... What's the maths?

60 days + 30 extension

visa run

and then another

60 days + 30 extension?

That's good enough I think.

What's up guys?

I was wondering if you guys who've had experience with all this visa debacle may be able to help me decide what is best.

My girlfriend (Brazilian) is looking to get a visa to come to Thailand and wants to stay here for a long time (meaning we think it'll be longer than 3 months).

Thing is she wants to only get a one way ticket from Brazil.

We realise that she can get a visa once she arrives here but that's the 30 day visa right? Is it possible to get an extension after that? And is it possible to enter to country with a one way ticket like that?

I also might be able to get her a psuedo-job at one of my father's establishment so that we can apply for the non-immigrant multiple entry visa B but that really is last resort as there is so many hoops to jump through. But that way we can do the 90 days and do "runs" over 4 times correct?

So what I'm asking really is what is the best way to go about this? I have a girlfriend that wants to come to Thailand for an indefinite period of time. Which visa should we get her if at all?

A Brazilian tourist is given a 90 day visa exemption on arrival in Thailand.

1. An onward ticket is required for non visa travel. If the airline requires. Thailand is not likely to care or check.

2. No ticket is required for visa entry.

3. Brazil has unlimited 90 day visa exempt access to Thailand so there is no reason to obtain multi entry visa. She can cross any border at any time and obtain a new 90 day stay.

1. If travelling for touristic purposes:

visa not required for a max. stay of 90 days.

Extension possible. Fee THB 1,900.- (1 photo required).

Note: there is a max. limit of a total of 90 days stay

within any 6 month period. Return/onward ticket is required.

2. In all other cases: visa required.

Travel on one-way ticket is permitted.

PS Although the IATA says stay is limited to 90 days in a six month period Brazil is exempt from that rule from my latest printout of regulations.

Oh wow. That really sheds a lot of light and has taken a huge burden off my chest! WOW. How come Thailand and Brazil have this relationship? What have they ever done together to have this awesome agreement? I mean, I know there's Brazilian models that come by the truckload to BKK, but still, 90 day visa upon arrival and can leave and enter to get another 90 days? That easy?!?!

WOW

So you're saying I don't even NEED a visa for her? Ahhhh! Thank you guys! Now all i gotta do is make her call the airline and see if they let her on with a one-way ticket or if I need to purchase her one to leave Thailand to a neighbouring country.

Oh wow. That really sheds a lot of light and has taken a huge burden off my chest! WOW. How come Thailand and Brazil have this relationship? What have they ever done together to have this awesome agreement? I mean, I know there's Brazilian models that come by the truckload to BKK, but still, 90 day visa upon arrival and can leave and enter to get another 90 days? That easy?!?!

WOW

So you're saying I don't even NEED a visa for her? Ahhhh! Thank you guys! Now all i gotta do is make her call the airline and see if they let her on with a one-way ticket or if I need to purchase her one to leave Thailand to a neighbouring country.

That might be a lot harder task for you to do. IF she was denied entry into Thailand on arrival, and without either a visa or an outbound airticket, the airline would be fined, and have to carry her out again. They always look after themselves first, second and third.

That sort of a bilateral 90 day visa deal also applies to Argentina, Chile, South Korea and Peru. Thai's can also enter those countries visa exempt for 90 days. Be aware that the visa exemption only applies to tourists, so working is highly unlikely to be an option.

Thank you for the fast response.

I'll make sure she calls the embassy in brazil and also the airline to see what the deal is.

I guess I can be safe and purchase that ticket out of Thailand for her. It's not TOO bad of a deal. I mean, I can get her a ticket that has a departure date 90 days after she arrives since she's gotta leave and come back anyway right? No big deal.

Thanks so much guys!

Probably get a tourist Visa 60 days (can extend +30( days) 1900 baht at at immigration)

So if we apply for the tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Brazil she won't need a return ticket (or another one way ticket to a neighbouring country)? I've also heard otherwise. That she'll DEFINITELY need another ticket out of Thailand before getting on that plane. What's the deal?

She is coming to visit me there and basically "hanging out" for a while. Might get a job there, but not sure yet. If she does, she can switch to a work visa once there right? It'll be so much easier I guess.

Hi,

From your posting she will be going back to Brazil within 12 months anyway, as a return ticket is usually cheaper than two single tickets you must apreciate that arriving on a one way ticket is bound to arouse suspicion.

Get an open ended return ticket and remove the suspicion, or run the risk of wasting time and effort arguing with the immigration guy on arrival in Bkk, not rocket science is it?

By the way you seem to be taking it for granted that she will be able to obtain a work permit once she is here, that may not be the case.

roy gsd

Hi,

From your posting she will be going back to Brazil within 12 months anyway, as a return ticket is usually cheaper than two single tickets you must apreciate that arriving on a one way ticket is bound to arouse suspicion.

Get an open ended return ticket and remove the suspicion, or run the risk of wasting time and effort arguing with the immigration guy on arrival in Bkk, not rocket science is it?

By the way you seem to be taking it for granted that she will be able to obtain a work permit once she is here, that may not be the case.

roy gsd

Legal work is but a pie in the sky.