Battery Life

sangfroid

3 years so far with my 3yr old Vigo 4x4, and same with Vios. Both still on original battery with no sign of a problem. I do check both regularly and top up distilled water as necessary though.

That's one of the problems with auto batteries in the tropics -- there usually won't be any sign of a problem. They don't seem to run down like batteries do in colder climates, where we can hear them getting weaker and know the cranking amps are slowly dropping. In the tropics, they often just suddenly die. Your car starts one day just fine, but then the next day all you hear is 'click' and the engine doesn't turn over at all.

3 years so far with my 3yr old Vigo 4x4, and same with Vios. Both still on original battery with no sign of a problem. I do check both regularly and top up distilled water as necessary though.

That's one of the problems with auto batteries in the tropics -- there usually won't be any sign of a problem. They don't seem to run down like batteries do in colder climates, where we can hear them getting weaker and know the cranking amps are slowly dropping. In the tropics, they often just suddenly die. Your car starts one day just fine, but then the next day all you hear is 'click' and the engine doesn't turn over at all.

Yep, my Vigo 4x4 auto, 4 years old now on my third battery. Oddly when mine failed the engine spun OK but not enough left to work the electronics to start the thing. So l bought a Boliden, the thing starts in barely a second. :)

So l bought a Boliden, the thing starts in barely a second. :)

QQ: What was the price difference between the Boliden and something like a run-of the-mill 3K brand replacement, and what's the expected lifespan of the Boliden?

The Toyota battery two years back was l think 4000bht, 30 day guarantee :bah: . The Boliden was 4600 bht. Following Kata's experience with these replacements and all the stuff l have read that a 40% increase in life can be expected l made the choice. The big factor was greater amp transfer on start up for the Silver/Calcium battery.

QQ: What was the price difference between the Boliden and something like a run-of the-mill 3K brand replacement, and what's the expected lifespan of the Boliden?

The Toyota battery two years back was l think 4000bht, 30 day guarantee :bah: . The Boliden was 4600 bht. Following Kata's experience with these replacements and all the stuff l have read that a 40% increase in life can be expected l made the choice. The big factor was greater amp transfer on start up for the Silver/Calcium battery.

15% extra cost for 40% extra life and more cold cranking amps sounds like a great deal, thanks :) I'll keep it mind in case I want to keep a car beyond it's first battery failure ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

15% extra cost for 40% extra life and more cold cranking amps sounds like a great deal, thanks :) I'll keep it mind in case I want to keep a car beyond it's first battery failure ;)

Yeh, the usage of my ride has for sure reduced battery life, and as an auto then no bump start :) so just thought to try something to reduce the thought. BUT, as l posted elseware my mrs put the battery in her case and lost lots of the liquid internals :unsure: so god knows how long it will last. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Do you know if Yuasa batteries are good ones ? Any cheaper brand ?

Do you think that is is worth paying more ? Batteries all seem to be the same and No maintenance bat are BS, because anyway nobody does any maintenance on a battery that last 2 years in a tropical country.

Also, do you know an onlne shop selling batteries or showing price in Thailand ?

Thanks a lot.

Hello,

Do you know if Yuasa batteries are good ones ? Any cheaper brand ?

Do you think that is is worth paying more ? Batteries all seem to be the same and No maintenance bat are BS, because anyway nobody does any maintenance on a battery that last 2 years in a tropical country.

Also, do you know an onlne shop selling batteries or showing price in Thailand ?

Thanks a lot.

Water filled batteries need maintenance. Water level must be topped up when required. Water batteries usually always have water/acid corrosion on the terminals and/or near bye metal work. This does not happen with for instance a Boliden silver cad battery. thumbsup.gif

If you can get bicarbonate of soda, mix 3 or 4 heaped dessert spoons with a pint of boiling water at the battery and pour straight away over the terminals and the corrosion will be gone. Dry with WD40 and smear Vaseline all over.

Check battery levels every 60 days max. If maintenance free, use a screw driver to lever off the plastic and check the levels with them too! No such thing as a maintenance free battery in this climate.

Top up with distilled water.