Chiang Mai Mail

charlie999

Has anybody noticed that, despite their photographer/reporter being present, Chiang Mai Mail did not bother to report on the recent move of the Chiang Mai ExPats Club to its new venue at the Shangri La Hotel. It seems a strange omission to me that the premier English Language newspaper in Chiang Mai would thus neglect to cover this major event of the premier English Language social club in Chiang Mai. :angry:

If they did omit this event, it may be because such photos were in contravention of the CM Mail rule that only the same 30 foreigners may appear in the photos each week.

It is quite a strange animal, the CM mail :o . In style, it seems largely to linger somewhere in the 1950's.

If they did omit this event, it may be because such photos were in contravention of the CM Mail rule that only the same 30 foreigners may appear in the photos each week.

It is quite a strange animal, the CM mail :D . In style, it seems largely to linger somewhere in the 1950's.

As does the CM Expats club... :D:D:D:o

Has anybody noticed that, despite their photographer/reporter being present, Chiang Mai Mail did not bother to report on the recent move of the Chiang Mai ExPats Club to its new venue at the Shangri La Hotel. It seems a strange omission to me that the premier English Language newspaper in Chiang Mai would thus neglect to cover this major event of the premier English Language social club in Chiang Mai. :o

So, this is newsworthy somehow then? :D

The Chiang Mai Expats Club publish their own newspaper/magazine as does the Chiang Mai Mail. Maybe some rivalry? :o

I think not.

CM Mail has weekly reports on the Friends meetings/activities, and the Friends group is closely connected with the current leader of the Expats Club.

Edited by sylviex

Has anybody noticed that, despite their photographer/reporter being present, Chiang Mai Mail did not bother to report on the recent move of the Chiang Mai ExPats Club to its new venue at the Shangri La Hotel. It seems a strange omission to me that the premier English Language newspaper in Chiang Mai would thus neglect to cover this major event of the premier English Language social club in Chiang Mai. :D

Chiangmai Mail is a "fish and chips wrapper" and an absolute waste of paper when it comes to anything else. :o

Has anybody noticed that, despite their photographer/reporter being present, Chiang Mai Mail did not bother to report on the recent move of the Chiang Mai ExPats Club to its new venue at the Shangri La Hotel. It seems a strange omission to me that the premier English Language newspaper in Chiang Mai would thus neglect to cover this major event of the premier English Language social club in Chiang Mai. :D

Chiangmai Mail is a "fish and chips wrapper" and an absolute waste of paper when it comes to anything else. :o

At least it is not a complete waste of paper. :D Or try the on-line version, if nothing else, it's a paper saver, albeit maybe a time waster. Following it's long absence from the Chiang Mai media environment a year or so back it promised so much more when it returned and IMO hasn't delivered (excuse pun) Maybe yet another shake-up is needed. How does it compare with it's sister paper Pattaya Mail?

All the Pattaya papers are good value :o . How could they not be, with the abundance of stories the place generates ?

Oh I see, so it's the docility of Chiang Mai that is the problem, not the CMM, do we have more law abiding citizens than Pattaya? Or are we just better house trained. :D

On line ???

The Chiang Mai Expats Club publish their own newspaper/magazine as does the Chiang Mai Mail. Maybe some rivalry? :o

It is getting a little dull around ThaiVisa in Chiang Mai these days. Hard to keep focus these days despite all the nubile robots doing 180 splits in the Olympic pool today, so….

The Expats Newletter is not a publication of the Chiang Mai Expats Club (as the publisher --- who is also the president of the club --- was finally forced to print regularly a while ago), but it uses the club as a marketing platform. It is technically (if you know how to use MicroSoft Office software like the average office slave) a fairly well-produced (for Chiang Mai) marketing newsletter to benefit those who publish it. Nothing more, really. It has no news sense except very rarely for the narrowest of interests, as in what happened at the last meeting of the Expats Club. Sometimes, Editor "Tom" writes self-help columns, such as "Where do I get my retirement visa extended when I am unshaved and my fly is open?" I guess he knows his readers! Some "columnists" (advertisers,that is) in the Expats Newsletter are utterly ridiculous or simply "cut and paste" artists," like the financial columns or that chiropractor/alternative health fellow who personally gave me at least five of his business cards one year at the July 4th party at the US Consulate! Give folks a break! How stupid do you think people are !! Or are they ?!

The Mail, of course, hopes to make money, too, but it does take a more "responsible" (but sadly laughable) approach toward news. Regrettably, it is almost impossible to take the Mail as a serious news source. The major thing that newspaper has never invested in is a couple of decent reporters or an editor who does more than cut and paste. This is a mystery that I have never understood! There is a thirst for real news of Chiang Mai among expats like me who arrived here too late in life to learn to read Thai well. That is a problem, because no one here owes me, or anyone like me, with age-retarded language-learning skills, a dam_n thing. Its best feature is to have some people who occasionally write some interesting columns, but the best --- Edna's letters to the editor --- has disappeared, which makes me very sad! For a quick fix, perhaps the next time Steve goes out to take pictures of the social scene, he can do a "booty call!"

Chiang Mai's City Life. Well, that's a slick advertising slick. And another topic some other time.

So, over to you, folks!

Here's a breaking news item from TODAY that hasn't been reported online by the CM Mail (instead the big item online is a week old story about Thaksin fleeing Thailand). They had the court trial today for that Aussie that shot and killed that American in a CM restaurant about 4 months ago.....I had a friend who went to the trial, but couldn't stay to hear the sentence at 4 pm (the Aussie pleaded guilty). Wouldn't you think this would be a breaking news item for a local newspaper, CM Mail???????????

Chiang Mai Mail did report on the Chiangmai Expat Club's move to the Shangri La Hotel. I know this because it was an exception to Chiang Mai Mail's "we won't talk about them because we don't have the page space" rule that their editor told me about last year. I can't remember if photos were involved because I don't look at those pages. My eyesight is such that I can't see the photos, and my interest level is even worse.

Rivalry? Yes and no. I'm too burned out to type more. Or care.

Expats come over here, after a lifetime of busting their backsides in the pursuit of whatever, and quickly or eventually discover that retirement can be a bit boring. So they look for a cause to get all passionate about, and sometimes they overreact a bit. That, in my humble opinion, is where 98% of all the fights come from. Thai Visa Forum, CEC, CM Mail, whatever. Just some folks looking for some dam_n excuse, any dam_n excuse, to get all angry because it means they're not dead yet.

My train of thought has been derailed. I suppose I was trying to take the piss out of you. Past experience indicates that, were I to succeed, you'd miss my point anyway.

But I can say this. 24 pages or less of fish wrapping per week. If that really matters to you in some way, as if it's some sort of focal point in your life, you really have a problem. It's just an overpriced little newspaper. That's all. Have you nothing better to rub your two remaining brain cells together about? I do.

Here's a breaking news item from TODAY that hasn't been reported online by the CM Mail (instead the big item online is a week old story about Thaksin fleeing Thailand). They had the court trial today for that Aussie that shot and killed that American in a CM restaurant about 4 months ago.....I had a friend who went to the trial, but couldn't stay to hear the sentence at 4 pm (the Aussie pleaded guilty).

Wouldn't you think this would be a breaking news item for a local ( weekly ) newspaper, CM Mail???????????

This happened on Tuesday at 4pm and it wasn't in Tuesday morning's weekly edition of the Chiang Mai Mail. :D Slack.

The web-site is a copy of the weekly newspaper. It isn't a news site updated every ten minutes. Never has been. Probably never will be.

It wasn't even in Tuesday's Bangkok post. :o

Edited by KevinHUNT

Expats come over here, after a lifetime of busting their backsides in the pursuit of whatever, and quickly or eventually discover that retirement can be a bit boring. So they look for a cause to get all passionate about, and sometimes they overreact a bit. That, in my humble opinion, is where 98% of all the fights come from. Thai Visa Forum, CEC, CM Mail, whatever. Just some folks looking for some dam_n excuse, any dam_n excuse, to get all angry because it means they're not dead yet.

Angry about others getting angry? If a few more join the fray, we will have a hilarious circle of people dancing around venting their anger that the bung hole in front of them is angry.

Do you really think that the anger comes from getting passionate about a cause? Anger at immigration service, Thais not using the proper tools, restaurant quality, Wing 41, TV service, double pricing, internet service, getting the wrong change, low quality news reporting, consulate service pricing, police, these are causes that people are getting passionate about today?

I am awed by the ignorant, sniveling, helpless and rude posts that I read but never would have guessed that they were a related to passion about causes.

Edited by Bill97

Oh I see, so it's the docility of Chiang Mai that is the problem, not the CMM, do we have more law abiding citizens than Pattaya? Or are we just better house trained. :o

No; I quite agree that CM Mail should be able to do much better. Like Mapguy, I can't really figure out why they or someone else doesn't step forward to produce a decent English-language paper for what would appear to be an interested market. We see better writing in these forums (!).

It is getting a little dull around ThaiVisa in Chiang Mai these days. Hard to keep focus these days despite all the nubile robots doing 180 splits in the Olympic pool today, so….

The Expats Newletter is not a publication of the Chiang Mai Expats Club (as the publisher --- who is also the president of the club --- was finally forced to print regularly a while ago), but it uses the club as a marketing platform. It is technically (if you know how to use MicroSoft Office software like the average office slave) a fairly well-produced (for Chiang Mai) marketing newsletter to benefit those who publish it. Nothing more, really. It has no news sense except very rarely for the narrowest of interests, as in what happened at the last meeting of the Expats Club. Sometimes, Editor "Tom" writes self-help columns, such as "Where do I get my retirement visa extended when I am unshaved and my fly is open?" I guess he knows his readers! Some "columnists" (advertisers,that is) in the Expats Newsletter are utterly ridiculous or simply "cut and paste" artists," like the financial columns or that chiropractor/alternative health fellow who personally gave me at least five of his business cards one year at the July 4th party at the US Consulate! Give folks a break! How stupid do you think people are !! Or are they ?!

The Mail, of course, hopes to make money, too, but it does take a more "responsible" (but sadly laughable) approach toward news. Regrettably, it is almost impossible to take the Mail as a serious news source. The major thing that newspaper has never invested in is a couple of decent reporters or an editor who does more than cut and paste. This is a mystery that I have never understood! There is a thirst for real news of Chiang Mai among expats like me who arrived here too late in life to learn to read Thai well. That is a problem, because no one here owes me, or anyone like me, with age-retarded language-learning skills, a dam_n thing. Its best feature is to have some people who occasionally write some interesting columns, but the best --- Edna's letters to the editor --- has disappeared, which makes me very sad! For a quick fix, perhaps the next time Steve goes out to take pictures of the social scene, he can do a "booty call!"

Chiang Mai's City Life. Well, that's a slick advertising slick. And another topic some other time.

So, over to you, folks!

Interesting comment--- "the editor of the CM Mail does little more than cut and paste"-- how would you know that? Dp you know the fairly new arrival on the Mail's staff who is now English Language Editor? I do, she's a mate, and cut and paste is one thing she rarely does. Creative and constructive writing, however, as well as putting news items from translators into the english language from basically lots of words arranged badly on a page , plus writing her own column and writing up certain events -- maybe that's why I don't see her much these days! And whn I do see her, she's always moaning about why there aren't more ways of getting news stories and why readers don't give more feedback about what they'd like to see in the paper--so why don't you guys stop moaning and join in!

The reporter thing, however, you might have a point there.

Okinasan

Consider this thread feedback ...

There is plenty of obvious cut-and-paste in CM Mail. There are other free papers around the city which also reproduce random items of "interesting" :o news from the foreign press, for reasons unknown.

Strange assumptions are made about the CM Mail readership, too -- some writers appear to think it's largely British and salt their copy with barbs about that country's "decline". Bizarre. Some of the "columns" are little more than bloggish blatherings. One of them likes to use the royal plural - "we notice ..." et cetera :D .

There's really an English language editor ?

Many items are written by "CM Mail staff" -- what's this reticence with names ? It really could be a much better paper in so many ways.

So, over to you, folks!

Interesting comment--- "the editor of the CM Mail does little more than cut and paste"-- how would you know that? Dp you know the fairly new arrival on the Mail's staff who is now English Language Editor? I do, she's a mate, and cut and paste is one thing she rarely does. Creative and constructive writing, however, as well as putting news items from translators into the english language from basically lots of words arranged badly on a page , plus writing her own column and writing up certain events -- maybe that's why I don't see her much these days! And whn I do see her, she's always moaning about why there aren't more ways of getting news stories and why readers don't give more feedback about what they'd like to see in the paper--so why don't you guys stop moaning and join in!

The reporter thing, however, you might have a point there.

Okinasan

Aha! Finally got a rise! I was wondering what was taking so long!

I am sure your "mate" works long and hard, and, yes, it is more than "cut-and-paste" work (which comment was focused on the "filler" that makes up a lot of the newspaper).

So, why don't I "stop moaning and join in?" Join in?! The Mail doesn't need cheerleaders, it needs serious news reporting and editing (which isn't about correcting grammatical errors).

Basically, I repeat my concern about timely and significant news about Chiang Mai! There is very, very little news of the city and the surrounding area where expats live. The Mail is a local weekly, not a national daily newspaper. There's a big difference. The respect to the Royal Family with articles on birthdays is understood and appropriate. But the untimely (late) publication of national stories already reported in newspapers and on TV is utterly pointless unless there is a significant local angle to report

News of the social scene is published regularly. This sort of journalism is typical of very small town newspapers, and it is quite acceptable and understandable journalism. Social events of note should be covered, but should such news (including all those photos!) be a central feature of the paper?

From time to time there is a significant news story besides one on the latest drug bust. An occasional public relations photo story from the police is fine, but that sort of thing tends to be overdone.

There is little political reporting of significance. Where was decent coverage, for example, before, during and after the last "city council" elections? How did the current mayor get elected last year? What happened with the previous mayor? Why did he resign, then decide to run again for office? And so on.

There are no regular background stories on municipal or provincial administration. Considering the English-speaking expatriate audience, there's a need for more "educational" features.

There is limited coverage of national and regional meetings held in Chiang Mai. Aren't there any local angles there? I remember one regional meeting last year to discuss pollution in Chiang Mai attended by the governor and numerous municipal and regional departments that barely got a nod from the Mail while it was covered by at least five other media. A serious reporter and editor would have pounced on this occasion and the topic with its reams of information and numerous contacts.

There is very little meaningful economic reporting. The cut-and-paste investment advice is really silliness. There are stories of ribbon cuttings and the like, but rarely much meaningful. Smiling faces of five-star hotel general managers and their PR department heads? Who needs them? There was only cursory coverage of the PM's visit to town. What about continuing and regular coverage of business conditions within the tourist, manufacturing and agricultural sectors.

Chiang Mai is a regional higher education center with at least one major government and private university. What's up at CMU?! Is it growing? If so, why? How does it stand up to its "competition." Some academics are doing significant research. How much of this is reported on?

The most important skill of journalism is not writing per se but gathering and reporting news of significance. Some of the columns can be entertaining. Some are better written than others. One relatively new feature I try to read is FeMail (written probably by the new editor referred to above) where you can find some decent writing from time to time, but sometimes the columns are just idle chatter. The best "columnist" in my view was Edna, whose adventures we could follow for a while in Letters to the Editor. Edna unfortunately has probably gone to her reward, as she might have put it.

Well, at least we don't have to read about the editor's concern over how chubby she is as in another publication!

Edited by Mapguy

Excellent comments from Mapguy ! Mapguy for Editor !

The Mail doesn't need cheerleaders, it needs serious news reporting and editing (which isn't about correcting grammatical errors).

Exactly. Some kind of "vision" and leadership is needed. At present the paper is a mish-mash. (Who is the head editor ?).

Well, at least we don't have to read about the editor's concern over how chubby she is as in another publication!

Pim is an excellent, highly talented writer. There is nobody at CM Mail even remotely in her league.

Edited by sylviex

Pim is an excellent, highly talented writer. There is nobody at CM Mail even remotely in her league.

I agree with a lot of mapguy's complaints, but not this one.

Pim does a great job and sharing her struggle to lose weight was a brave thing to do as well as interesting and informative to many of us with similar health concerns. :o

Angry about others getting angry? If a few more join the fray, we will have a hilarious circle of people dancing around venting their anger that the bung hole in front of them is angry.

Do you really think that the anger comes from getting passionate about a cause? Anger at immigration service, Thais not using the proper tools, restaurant quality, Wing 41, TV service, double pricing, internet service, getting the wrong change, low quality news reporting, consulate service pricing, police, these are causes that people are getting passionate about today?

I am awed by the ignorant, sniveling, helpless and rude posts that I read but never would have guessed that they were a related to passion about causes.

I was pretty passionate about the lack of a good shovel cause, but I'm better now. Thanks for your forbearance.

Chiang Mai Mail and Chiang Mai Expat Club: two institutions I have no use for.

I went to a CM Expats meeting once. It was excruciating, I thought my watch had broken. Not only that, they charged me for attending. They had classic cars at that meeting, so I think it was probably one of the better meetings. Oy!