Credit Cards Charges

Woofer

I had a Thai credit card for about two years now. My credit limit was 100,000 baht. I used the credit card quite often last year as I was outfitting my new house. This year I have not used it often. I received a credit card statement with a debit for 5,350 baht for credit card fees. When I contact the credit card company they told me if I did not use my credit card to the limit in one year then there are fees attached i.e. 5,350 baht. When I told them I did not need such a high credit limit they said they would refund my fees, which they did in a matter of days. I have not heard if they have reduced my credit limit. It is quite convenient to have a Thai credit card, but with fees of 5,350 baht it is quite excessive. So a warning to all of you keep a close watch on your credit card statements.

Thanks for the heads up. Personally I don't bother with credit cards in Thailand, either of UK or Thai origin. Too easy to get ripped-off, too difficult to get your money back when that happens. Cash is king here, and that's what I use.

A few years back I was buying a business for 2.3 million Baht. The middlemen wanted me to urgently deposit the money in their escrow account, so I headed to SCB and asked them to do it. As it was after 2:00 PM there were some extra charges involved, and they could only transfer the money 200K Baht at a time, blah, blah, blah. Too much hassle. I asked them to give me cash, stuck the 2.3 million Baht in my tatty old backpack, and hopped on a Baht Bus bound for the agents shop. Never a problem with cash (as long as nobody knows you're carrying it! :o ).

Thanks for the heads up. Personally I don't bother with credit cards in Thailand, either of UK or Thai origin. Too easy to get ripped-off, too difficult to get your money back when that happens. Cash is king here, and that's what I use.

A few years back I was buying a business for 2.3 million Baht. The middlemen wanted me to urgently deposit the money in their escrow account, so I headed to SCB and asked them to do it. As it was after 2:00 PM there were some extra charges involved, and they could only transfer the money 200K Baht at a time, blah, blah, blah. Too much hassle. I asked them to give me cash, stuck the 2.3 million Baht in my tatty old backpack, and hopped on a Baht Bus bound for the agents shop. Never a problem with cash (as long as nobody knows you're carrying it! :o ).

My lawyer told me to never pay large amounts in cash. She had many clients who paid cash payments on their house to employee in the developer's office and were issued a receipt on company letterhead. Later they found that the employee ran off with the money never to be seen again. The developer still want payment, the official receipt on company letterhead was worthless. So becareful if you have to make large cash payments.