Where is the *fastest* net cafe in pattaya?

dougrobinson2024

I'm here in Pattaya only for a few more days and brought special VOiP equipment with me (from Vonage.com) to test making high-quality voice phone calls back to the US, for virtually nothing. The results of this test would benefit a lot of us here on this board.  Basically what it means is you could call back to the U.S. for free AND people in the U.S. could call a regular 7-digit U.S.-based phone number and it would ring you in Thailand--without the long distance international rates!

I NEED TO FIND THE *FASTEST* NET CAFE IN PATTAYA in order for it to work.  

I tried to post this question before but wasn't able to find the info.  I'd hate to go back to the U.S. without finding out how well this works!  If you know of a net cafe or net shop that has a TRUE high-speed connection, please let me know as soon as possible.  I'll only be here until August 7th.

THANKS!

Doug Robinson

The one in the Big C seemed pretty good to me

Bingo!  That's it!  THANK YOU!!  

I tested this one today, after reading your recommendation, and it is faster than any other one I've been to yet!  Faster than eInternet on Beach Road and the one on the 2nd floor in Royal Garden (by far).

Feel free to test the speed yourself, by going to the following page:

http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/

Again--Thanks!

Doug

Just for the record...

I'm here at Fantasea@CafeNet, 2nd floor, Big C in Pattaya.  Just tested the connection speed, using the URL I posted earlier (see above), and the results are:

158 kbps!

Way faster than at Royal Garden, which clocked in at only about 60 kbps.  Even though they advertise a 256K connection, it might showed a slower rate because there more people there all sharing the same connection.  (It's a popular place).

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I'm here at Fantasea@CafeNet, 2nd floor, Big C in Pattaya.

Unfortunately, I gotta retract my recommendation of Fantasea @ CafeNet, Big C, second floor.

I explained to Tom (the owner?) that I had brought special equipment from America (a Cisco ATA 186 VoIP Adapter, ethernet cables, phone cord and adapters, a phone, my laptop) to try making phone calls through one of the local broadband net shops.  He offered to meet me at his shop the next day at 9:30 AM (before he opened).  He seemed very professional and customer-focussed; I was very impressed!

The next day I showed up at 9:30, as planned.  Unfortunately, he breezed in an hour and a half late--right before 11:00, when he opened the shop--and with quite the attitude!  No apology for being late, no admission that he forgot--in fact, he seemed to be going out of his way to impress the other customer (only one other guy there) that he wasn't about to "bring his business down" just for my "little experiment"..  ??  

C'mon!  I can understand if the guy just plain forgot to show up on time.  No big deal--even though I did lug this equipment all the way to Thailand just for this one test and I did get up early to catch a baht bus all the way from Jomtien to Big C to meet him, as planned and even though this was my last day in Pattaya...

Oh well, maybe it was the heat that got to him that day.  Who knows?  I just wanted to let everyone else know, in case you wanted to try the same thing: better count on someone a little more dependable.

But like they say "This is Thailand"!

Doug