Pattaya Daily News Threatens Thaivisa

Kerryd

Found this while looking up information on a recent news article:

THAIVISA.COM READ THIS !!

Very Interesting of Thaivisa operation here. Stop trying to attack us, for whatever reason is. Other wise we will sue you.

Pattaya Daily News - Forum

Apparently they are upset over some of the comments made regarding the news story some time ago about the "notorious gangster" shot down in Naklua: Naklua Gangster Gunned Down In Front Of Girlfriend, and from another thread:

Bogus Crap On Pattaya Daily News Website

In one comment, Khun Sirithanon states: "Do you know why you are still having your fun, because the police don't read English and they are busy with other things.

Actually , your comments about them and Thai people will be worth translated into Thai (with my poor English), just to give them more work to do? "

Perhaps the "powers that be" should read the notice at the bottom of their own forum page first:

"The messages you read here are opinions from the public and posted into the Forum automatically. The systems owner is not responsible for any content in the Forum or any comments posted. There is no proof that the contents posted are genuine or not, even if the name of the poster is real, th erefore, please use common sense when reading the Forum."

From my point of view, Pattaya One News stories are also posted on this forum and sometimes my stories are attacked as well. I don't really care about what people have to say about the stories. This is a forum where healthy debate on news stories is encouraged and I accept that...however.....if there are continued attacks against the news organization that publish the story then that is not a good thing and comments should be moderated. Alternatively TV could decide not to allow publishing of news stories and comments about them to be posted, however I think this would not be good for the forum.

TV.....it's up to you!!!!

Howard

Pattaya One News

No harm done, and no need for manic panic Kerryd!

No panic from me ! :o

If I had more time (and motivation) I might have dug through their archives to bring out some of their more memorable articles for futher "discussion" on their site.

if there are continued attacks against the news organization that publish the story then that is not a good thing and comments should be moderated.

A reporter condoning censorship?

?????

I am a story writer....not a reporter...... I don't own a suit :o

if there are continued attacks against the news organization that publish the story then that is not a good thing and comments should be moderated.

A reporter condoning censorship?

?????

I am a story writer....not a reporter...... I don't own a suit :o

Ahhh....I guess writing "stories" is kinda popular over there :D

Sorry...couldn't resist.

A story writer huh? So all those news reports are just made up?

YES!!! Every single news story I have ever written is completely made up. I have a film studio in my back garden where I film accident scenes, suicide scenes, meetings and other stories. :o

From my point of view, Pattaya One News stories are also posted on this forum and sometimes my stories are attacked as well. I don't really care about what people have to say about the stories. This is a forum where healthy debate on news stories is encouraged and I accept that...however.....if there are continued attacks against the news organization that publish the story then that is not a good thing and comments should be moderated. Alternatively TV could decide not to allow publishing of news stories and comments about them to be posted, however I think this would not be good for the forum.

Howard

Pattaya One News

I am one of the three mods assigned to the Pattaya subforum. I read and enjoy this one but to blunt I rarely if ever descend into the News Articles sub sub forum. Nothing personal but I find the breathless sensationalism of the reporting to be on par with tabloid press without the skills of grammar and spelling.

However if you or any other member of this forum reads any post in any thread and believe that it contravenes the rules of Thai Visa then the appropriate action is to report it. The moderating team online at the time will be alerted and take appropriate actions.

That said will in future don my swamp suit and take a more active role there

regards

CB

Thai Visa ..... it's up to us!!!!!!

Well Pattaya News is sensationalist in nature - that is what sells and why everyone watches/reads. Plus got to admit I have to think that most of the time the reporters are taking the piss or its the person doing the translating because most of its rather comedic rather than serious news reporting.

Personally if a threat was posted in a forum I'd take it with a grain of salt - if their is an issue Pattaya Daily would be contacting George directly. :o

Edited by britmaveric

Like many things here (in Thailand and ThaiVisa), not everyone is a native English speaker, and not everyone sees the same event with the same point of view.

We see that a lot in various discussions. One must remember though that many events/incidents are not reported on by people who are native English speakers, and may look at a particular story with a considerably different perspective than a lot of us are accustomed to.

One should be able to critic certain aspects though. When a news organization makes what appears to be glaring errors in a story (like getting nationalities/names/ages wrong, etc), they should be able to shoulder a little bit criticism, and maybe it would inspire them to do better in the future.

(OK, that last part was just wishful thinking) :o

As long as the criticism doesn't turn personal, it shouldn't be treated any differently than any other discussion on TV.

Prob posting such things to bring attention to their own forum, after all traffic is good for business. By the looks of it their server can't take the load - can't reach their pages. :o

Still working from here. In the couple of hours since I posted this, the views on the article in their forum have jumped over 50%. Maybe TV'ers aren;t that bad after all, what with generating more page views/clicks on their site, maybe they'll get an increase in their advertising revenue ! :D

Like many things here (in Thailand and ThaiVisa), not everyone is a native English speaker, and not everyone sees the same event with the same point of view

I was actually referring to the news article not the subsequent posts by the members

:o

CB

Howard

Pattaya One News

You’re a prime example of people taking themselves to seriously.

This is a forum, and that is all it is.

Grow up. :o

I have criticized the whingers (my posts removed) who like to critique non English speaker's posts and/or articles. I can understand the news articles and appreciate the effort at translating to English. If I wanted to read the exact word for word article, I'd learn to read Thai.

If you want to criticize someone, then criticize the native English speakers who can't spell nor construct a decent sentence in their own native English.

I'd prefer it if the reporters or story tellers didn't poke their cameras into the bedrooms of the recently deceased as they did to one of my friends who died of a heart attack, naked in his condo. The reason to show his pasport photo on TV totally escapes me. What about the serious crimes ? What about cimes per se ? Why don't the reporters criticise the authorities for not doing more ? Whay are reports not followed up on, even when they say they will be ? Who are the puppetmasters ?

I have criticized the whingers (my posts removed) who like to critique non English speaker's posts and/or articles. I can understand the news articles and appreciate the effort at translating to English. If I wanted to read the exact word for word article, I'd learn to read Thai.

If you want to criticize someone, then criticize the native English speakers who can't spell nor construct a decent sentence in their own native English.

Should there not be a hyphen between 'non' and 'English'?

Probably just a matter of taste, but it just doesn't look right without the '-'.

(Not Gary Ablett, by any chance?)

If the people at Pattaya One and Pattaya Daily News stopped kowtowing to the police, stopped reporting often about very petty crime, and improved the quality of writing they wouldn't leave themselves so open to criticism.

It's also (as others have pointed out) that these particular online publication are of the poorest taste. It's amazingly tacky and distasteful to include 6 photos that attempt to capture the scene. Besides the fact that the photos are usually of laughable quality, it just isn't nice to publicly embarrass victims and their families.

Edited by Beacher