Is "farang" Impolite?

Neeranam

Is "farang" impolite  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU YOU in my book is Offensive not Farang.

Even that is not meant to be offensive. It just means someone has taught them that 'you' means the same as khun (คุณ) which is a rather polite way of addressing somebody, same as Mr/Miss or Ma'am.

Heck I don't think the Thais would knowingly want to offend anyone, unless you pee'd them off first!

JJ

Yes Sorry Point Taken.

Heck I don't think the Thais would knowingly want to offend anyone, unless you pee'd them off first!

JJ

You haven't met very many tuk tuk drivers have you?

i know how they are

but they dont mean that rude way

calling YOU YOU ... Not M**ng M**ng

JJ

You haven't met very many tuk tuk drivers have you?

True, but I try and avoid talking with low life vermin like that :o

Yes there are some very coarse people in Thailand, but you can't take offence from someone who is barely sentient! Can you???

Has it ever dawned on some people that fools aren't exclusively in Thailand and that they are everywhere in the world? So why use them as an example to generalize the whole nation? And khun Jeddah Jo was right about the use of "you." When I first studied English, it meant "Khun" to me. And I had absolutely no idea that calling a farang "hey you" was offensive. I actually did it a few times when I was a kid because I didn't know any better. And why would anyone wanna link that "hey you" to "farang"? One really has nothing to do with other.

:yawnnn:

Edited by ThNiner

Has it ever dawned on some people that fools aren't exclusively in Thailand and that they are everywhere in the world? So why use them as an example to generalize the whole nation? And khun Jeddah Jo was right about the use of "you." When I first studied English, it meant "Khun" to me. And I had absolutely no idea that calling a farang "hey you" was offensive. I actually did it a few times when I was a kid because I didn't know any better. And why would anyone wanna like that "hey you" to "farang"? One really has nothing to do with other.

:yawnnn:

My Point was YOU YOU not HEY YOU,

Anyway I am not offended now just a little wiser from previous posts.

calling YOU YOU ... Not M**ng M**ng

LOL...

When I first heard "You! You!" I too was offended, but I soon learned that it was the same as "Khun! Khun!" and meant in the same manner.

Speaking of M**ng... that one I learned the hard way later, after I repeated it in polite company :o

Khwai is definitely not a farang-related term - "Ai Khwai" is most often used to refer to traffic police, or a reckless or slow driver! Or, as someone else pointed out, used amongst friends to get a rise out of the other, along with "Ai Hiah" and "Ai Ngo" and, sometimes, "Ai Farang" - so being referred to as a farang is not the same as being called Ai Farang... which is definitely impolite.

Edited by onethailand

Is that true, Thais would always recognize Kwai as a ruder way of saying farang? I know some Thai's looking for a white sugar Daddy call us Kwai, but didn't realize this was a general term applying to all white people. True or not, because that is a funny one, and similar in a way to the word Queer in relation to homosexual.

So, I see we have some Thai posters on this thread.

What does KWAI when used to describe PEOPLE mean to you?

It isn't .. Kwai is also used as slang for "clumsy".

It wouldn't rule out a word that it has multiple meanings. The only requirements are that the word be more offensive than farang and also at least partly associated with white people in Thailand. In that sense, KWAI probably qualifies, but not sure if it is the perfect choice. Queer has multiple meanings that have nothing to do with homosexuals yet that word was used this way, to use an old insulting word in a new way to make a political point. Kwai is kind of a funny idea for my alternative word idea. Any other suggestions?

If we found and used such a new word, think of the ironic possibilities!

KWAI MAGAZINE

KWAI FILM FESTIVAL

KWAI PRIDE PARADE

KWAI POLITICS

KWAI RESORT RETREAT (at the River Kwai)

KWAI BUFFALO RACES

KWAI T-SHIRTS

KWAI FLAG (beige with white stripes and a pink buffalo in the center)

new nickname for Sukumwit Bangkok: SUK-KWAI-WIT

Saphan Kwai district goes all white

Edited by Jingthing

It wouldn't rule out a word that it has multiple meanings. The only requirements are that the word be more offensive than farang and also at least partly associated with white people in Thailand. In that sense, KWAI probably qualifies, but not sure if it is the perfect choice. Queer has multiple meanings that have nothing to do with homosexuals yet that word was used this way, to use an old insulting word in a new way to make a political point. Kwai is kind of a funny idea for my alternative word idea. Any other suggestions?

Can't agree. I have never heard Khwai used to refer to someone because he/she was a farang. It is not associated with white people in Thailand.

KWAI MAGAZINE

KWAI FILM FESTIVAL

KWAI PRIDE PARADE

KwAI POLITICS

KWAI BUFFALO RACES

Kwai is partly associated with white people in Thailand?!!?? Hahahahahahahaha :o ROTFL! One of the funniest and silliest things I've read on here. :clap:

So many farang experts in Thai language at Thaivisa.com. I'm impressed! 5555555

Can't agree. I have never heard Khwai used to refer to someone because he/she was a farang. It is not associated with white people in Thailand.

In JingThing's Thai-English dictionary, there's probably a picture of white guy right next to the word "kwai." This gotta be how he got the idea.

PS. I'm just trying to understand Jingthing. That's all. :o:D

KWAI MAGAZINE

KWAI FILM FESTIVAL

KWAI PRIDE PARADE

KwAI POLITICS

KWAI BUFFALO RACES

Kwai is partly associated with white people in Thailand?!!?? Hahahahahahahaha :o ROTFL! One of the funniest and silliest things I've read on here. :clap:

So many farang experts in Thai language at Thaivisa.com. I'm impressed! 5555555

ahaha calm down phi. that's nice tho :D

try Kwai sweet Kwai...

:D

and at thai lang. forum i'm impressed as well .. tho i'm thai and hate thai-writting

In JingThing's Thai-English dictionary, there's probably a picture of white guy right next to the word "kwai." This gotta be how he got the idea.

PS. I'm just trying to understand Jingthing. That's all. :o:D

No? Are you sure?

ฝรั่งโง่เหมือนควาย

Anyway, if you have bothered to follow my line of thought, I never said I was married to the word KWAI. I do like it as a word because it is a funny insulting word, but I agree its link to white people may not be strong enough, except in Pattaya, Any better idea for a word to use in a new way for the purpose I proposed?

Edited by Jingthing

ahaha calm down phi. that's nice tho :o

try Kwai sweet Kwai...

and at thai lang. forum i'm impressed as well .. tho i'm thai and hate thai-writting

Nong Thithi, even though I laughed so hard at that comment, I did feel abit sorry for JingThing na. He must have had quite verbal exchanges with some of our fellow countrymen.

"Kwai is partly associated with white people in Thailand"..quality! 555555 Can't stop laughing!

ahaha calm down phi. that's nice tho :o

try Kwai sweet Kwai...

Nong Thithi, even though I laughed so hard at that comment, I did feel abit sorry for JingThing na. He must have had quite verbal exchanges with some of our fellow countrymen.

"Kwai is partly associated with white people in Thailand"..quality! 555555 Can't stop laughing!

You know, the more I read the strength of your reaction to this, the more I think it might just be the perfect word.

ฝรั่งโง่เหมือนควาย

Note the presence of the word "farang" - farang is stupid as a buffalo. I don't see how you can associate "buffalo" with "farang" - you can similarly replace the word "farang" with any nationality or reference to a person.

Edited by onethailand

ahahaha come onnnn

Kwai means someone's stupid [slang]

we dnt use it to call u

but if u r stupid. .... err...

OK, fine.

Can you name some Thai words that are INSULTS (more insulting than farang) and are often associated with white people? And please write them in Thai and English with the translation. Thank you very much!

Edited by Jingthing

Can you name some Thai words that are INSULTS (more insulting than farang) and are often associated with white people? And please write them in Thai and English with the translation. Thank you very much!

Here is one...

ประสาทเสีย - bprà-sàat sĭa = become fretful or neurotic

Here is one...

ประสาทเสีย - bprà-sàat sĭa = become fretful or neurotic

Looking for a NOUN that can also be used as an adjective, but thank you.

post-37101-1219925842_thumb.jpg

Caption contest time????

post-37101-1219926085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

All right Jingthing, I'm gonna muster some effort and try to educate you. "Kwai" is a slang for anything stupid or extremely stupid. You can say anything is as stupid as Kwai, not just farangs.

So "ฝรั่งโง่เหมือนควาย" doesn't in anyway mean that Kwai is forever "partly associated with white people in Thailand". It was just that at the moment the Thai person who said it just thought that the white person he encountered was a really really really stupid dumbass.

For instance... if you still don't understand this explanation of mine, some of us Thais might think you,Jingthing, is really "โง่เหมือนควาย." And it doesn't mean that "Kwai is partly associated with Jingthing." It doesn't mean that you can alwasy interchange the word Kwai with Jingthing and then any Thais would immediately get it. All right?

I do hope you get it now. OK? :o

My secretary had to apologize before she read that phrase to me (since I can understand Thai but can't read it).

ประสาทเสีย - bprà-sàat sĭa - also can't be associated with farangs, since it means "brain not working". If only farangs had that problem, then I'd agree :o