Purchasing A Land, Need Advice

My wife is 2 and half month pregnant so i tought its best to move from my small condo soon or later and was thinking about Phuket.

I used to live there in the past so I know it but i have no idea on how to go when is time to look to purchase a land.

I have a tight budget at the moment and i was thinking to invest about 1-1.5m bath maximun for a piece of land and about 2m for the house.

The problem is that all the land prices i been looking for around the internet are much over that price (most of them 5m up per rai).

Of course i'm not looking for a sea side land , everywhere is ok as long as not too isolated (I have a car and won't be a problem).

The size of the land doesn't have to be too big, probably half rai its ok and i may even have the chance to share it with a friend (1 rai total half each).

I been checking bank websites and all kind of real estate websites but never find anything really interesting.

Am i really in a tight budget?

Is it really impossible to find a decent property land for that amount of money?

I start to think to keep my dream to build my dream house and potentially a swimming pool on a side and buy an already made one.

Any suggestion on how you did buy a lan,d how to search for it (my friend is going around with car sometimes to get phone numbers) and how the right budget should be?

What i'm looking for is an average piece of land where to build a 2 floor 3 bedrooms house with a small garden to keep a dog and a possible swimming pool.

Any advice is welcome,

thanks

Your budget is fine when you are not looking in prime locations.

Many websites target foreigners exclusively and hence the high prices.

Renting a house would be easy as many are available. This will give you time to look around. Lots of footwork, asking around and taking your time will get you a nice piece for your budget.

Hi,

did you try this website:

http://www.land.co.th/

I can see 383 plots listed for Phuket.

Thanks for the website, really usefull.

Renting is a possibility, i would probably rent out my condo here in Bangkok and with the money rent a place in Phuket untill i find a good deal, although i would prefer not too.

As i said I'm not looking for a prime location but not even too far from the town or a residential area.

Considering a budget of 3-3.5 milion, how much should i invest for the land?

Any other usefull advice?

Thanks all for the reply and sorry for my english (not my first language)

Quick input here, but have you considered driving around areas close to school, shopping centers, or where you work? Start narrowing down areas you like, and take a digital camera with you to take pictures of 'land for sale' signs. That's what I did, and got exactly what I wanted inside 2 weeks. Best of luck! :o

• 2 weeks later...
Quick input here, but have you considered driving around areas close to school, shopping centers, or where you work? Start narrowing down areas you like, and take a digital camera with you to take pictures of 'land for sale' signs. That's what I did, and got exactly what I wanted inside 2 weeks. Best of luck! :o

THanks , this is a good advice, i already did though and nothing is available.

It seems to me that everyone wants to sell is going to real estate and leave it to them.

I normally tend not to like them and i would prefer to skip them but i guess i have no choice.

Any area in Phuket can you reccomend?

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 1/2 rai near the golf course in the north of the island for just over 1 million. It is maybe 20 minutes or so to town. I believe there may be few 1 rai lots left in the small subdivision but they would be just over 2 million, which will give you less to spend on building the place. 1/2 rai is plenty for a decent sized house and pool with a guest house. I have seen plenty of for sale signs in the area too, if you have a Thai wife to drive around the area you should be able to find something that will make your budget work.

wait 1-1 1/2 years usa in reccsion or heading to one, europe just starting to head south, asia is next or last..last one in last one out..prices are over priced in all of thailand not just puket..nothing is selling in thailand..i have been watching just on this website the amount of for sale properties go up about 400-500 in the last 5 months and some have been in there for a year..wait don't be impatient..time is on your side...no tourists and no one buying real estate..just going to get worse.

wait 1-1 1/2 years usa in reccsion or heading to one, europe just starting to head south, asia is next or last..last one in last one out..prices are over priced in all of thailand not just puket..nothing is selling in thailand..i have been watching just on this website the amount of for sale properties go up about 400-500 in the last 5 months and some have been in there for a year..wait don't be impatient..time is on your side...no tourists and no one buying real estate..just going to get worse.

THanks for the good advice, the problem is that last year and 2 years ago was the same but the price is keep on getting higher.

My friends living there told me that there is a lot of request especially in some areas where i was looking for (Kathu district).

Anyway I will not rush and take my time to look carefully around.

x traderDM: thanks for the good advice, i'm pretty sure that 1/2 rai is more then enough for me, even 1/4 may be enough if available.

I know the area you were talking about and i was offer some land in there but to be honest i would prefer the area above for the time being if that would not be possible i will consider it.

Cheers

Maybe would be best to buy a house even if not exactly what you want and live in it while you rebuild.

For the time being i have a small one bed condo in Bkk, i never expect to be father so quickly so i thought it would be enough for the next few years at least.

Anyway I'm not in a rush as i said i'm looking around to see prices and then i will make a decision when and if i find something suitable for me.

Thanks for the advice!!!