Bittorrent Users And Other Hogs At The Internet Trough

Mapguy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly download UK series like Top Gear, Fifth Gear & the soaps of course. So unless you know another way that I can watch UK TV bleep, bleep, bleep......

I always assumed people moved to Thailand for what Thailand had to offer, not so it was an outpost of where they came from. The simple answer to your question as how you might watch UK TV is either get UBC or move back.

no its not. that is the assinine response.

Terribly sorry mapguy but you know what Thai television is like, hardly any English language shows, just tons of silly Thai soap operas. I only have a few more series torrents to download below and then I'm done.

EDIT:

I've delete the whole list which was placed here and filled just as little as 25 screen pages on monitor with 1680 x 1050 resolution which is just unacceptable!

Edited by Reimar
deleted 25 screen pages of listing!

Terribly sorry mapguy but you know what Thai television is like, hardly any English language shows, just tons of silly Thai soap operas. I only have a few more series torrents to download below and then I'm done.

I blame massive posts like that to TV.

Oh and once all the downloads are finished, please can I download them from you?

I mostly download UK series like Top Gear, Fifth Gear & the soaps of course. So unless you know another way that I can watch UK TV bleep, bleep, bleep......

I always assumed people moved to Thailand for what Thailand had to offer, not so it was an outpost of where they came from. The simple answer to your question as how you might watch UK TV is either get UBC or move back.

Surveys indicate Brits watch more television than any nation on earth. One would think they'd pay up for the appropriate television package/satellite if watching all that crap was so important to them.

Ahhh...now it is clear to me why I have to make my free phone calls (very) early in the morning.....Thankyou

The system seemed unobstructed until a few months ago...seems to be completely choked with bandwidth hogs

and their video streaming.maybe it has gone on longer but the the whole system crashes when the 19 to 25 year old kiddies come home from school and play the online games,only excerbarating the the problem.

What you pay for is what you get.Good to have such good infrastructure..duhhh

Well, for the record, a lot of these online games use very little bandwidth, most of them (aka all the ones ive ever tried over the last 10+ years) use lots of small packets of data. To measure this in actual MG up and down, your average MMO uses approx 5-10mg an hour. I'm sure your skype/whatever IP phone calls use just as much, if not a lot more.

So dont get blaming us gamers!!!

I lived in a share house once (more than 5 people) and I used to hog the shared internet bandwidth connection 24/7, downloading things. my housemates were forced to surfing the web with dialup speeds. I didn't feel guilty because they were all a bunch of messy and unhygienic, immature buggers.

Surveys indicate Brits watch more television than any nation on earth. One would think they'd pay up for the appropriate television package/satellite if watching all that crap was so important to them.

I think what people watch is their own business, torrents can give a wider selection of TV shows not available through UBC and more economically. The basic Max plan is best for Thai site usage, I upgraded to a higher one that said it was faster for international sites and it is. Torrents range from 10k to 180k depending on the amount of seeders.

Sounds like a bad or cheap connection problem to me.

Good to see the "go back home" tag, always raises the intelectual bar of any conversation. :o

You did jump to a baseless conclusion about Thai ISPs capping bandwidth even though you are going through your buildings network.

Ah so now we get the real story. You are not using an ISP.

You caught me. I'M GUILTY of accessing the internet without using an ISP.

'Allo 'Allo!

Third Rock From The Sun

6 0 Minutes

7th Heaven

A-Team

According To Jim

Adventures of Superman

After Youve Gone

Aida

Airwolf

Alias

Aliens In America

All My Children

America's Got Talent

America's Next Top Model

American Body Shop

American Chopper

American Dad

American Dreams

American Gladiators

American Idol

Americas Funniest Home Videos

Andromeda

Angel

Are You Smarter Than A 8 th Grader

Arrested Development

As The World Turns

Ashes to Ashes

why do people always talk out of their ass?

P2p users are not a problem.. years ago in north america we had huge banwitdh issues.. my cable company in 2002 had 1000ms pings every day after 3pm.. untill 2am.. and about 1kb/s download speeds.. couldnt do shit and it was nation wide.

6months of pure whining about p2p's.. the company even blamed the p2p's..

weirdly.. the way they fixed it? they stopped over booking the nodes by adding a couple more networks when they were too many houses using the ISP and they upped speeds from 1.5mbit to 15mbit.. and 1mbit upload...

ever since then, no issues anywhere.

Only problem is people getting the cheap maxnet 590baht package hoping that they wont put the whole city on a 5mbit line.

And to those idiots whining aobut copyright infrigement.. The movie and music companies have had more profit since the start of massive p2p(kazaaa couple years ago) and are still making record profits.

Downloading affects no 1.. just benefits those who do not wish to pay at home because they get overpriced when they go out.

EDIT:

I've delete the whole list which was placed here and filled just as little as 25 screen pages on monitor with 1680 x 1050 resolution which is just unacceptable!

Some people simply have no sense of humour...

Reimar have you thought of using a mouse with accelerated scrolling, and perhaps a bigger monitor :D

You know, it didn't look quite so long when I copied it in Word... :o

Thailand is an interesting country with their "Basic", "Premium" and "Business" plans. I don't know any Western country where an ISP provider offers the same download speed in several plans, where the most expensive one can cost up to 10 times more as the cheapest one (Manet 2Mb Indy is thb 590, Biz 2MB is thb 5900)

I think this strategy makes sense. In a developing country like this, their should be a basic package that normal middle class people can afford, otherwise internet access would be restricted to PAD members only. It is normal that there are some limitations on these cheaper packages. Restrictions on international bandwith seems logic as it cost money. All basic packages have limitations on P2P traffic, which includes Skype and Bittorrent.

Till June, I had Maxnet Indy too, and almost never used bittorent, simply because most of the times it didn't work. Then I upgraded to the Maxnet 4Mb Premier package, and if was a relieve ! Everything works pretty fast now. I'm not longer surprised when I see torrent downloads of +300KB. Expensive ? Compared with the Indy package, yes. But hardly more expensive as in my home country (where they have monthly download limits) I did the "glasnost test" and found out that my ISP isn't throttling my traffic at all.

So the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. If you use internet only for checking your mail and sanook.com, these basic packages are your thing. If you are like me, watching almost every day a movie and transmitting my home TV to Thailand using a Slingbox, then you should consider to spend some extra baht.

And for the OP : if you have one of these basic packages, calling me a "hog" will not solve your problem as your ISP throttles your traffic anyway. However, if you have a Premium or similar package, then you should contact your ISP again and again and again. When I did my upgrade, absolutely nothing worked. It took them two weeks and several calls to find out that one of the settings in their "exchange" was wrong for my account.

Mapguy,

Get a life. When I download it is done during the wee hours of the morning when everybody is sleeping. For your info I only download movies periodically, I mostly download UK series like Top Gear, Fifth Gear & the soaps of course. So unless you know another way that I can watch UK TV bleep, bleep, bleep......

Mapguy probably doesn't want to tell you as it uses a bit of bandwith, but fortunately I do :o

Install on your pc "your freedom" . Log in on a UK server and install "Zattoo" . If your connection is good enough, you can watch your most favorite channels Beeb, Beeb, Beeb,.....(Same same for German and French users)

EDIT:

I agree. Too much data (garbage) which adds to a slower internet. This is similar to people who reply to other posters having very long post and just mindlessly propagating that long post over and over again instead of editing it to reflect their personal response.

I lived in a share house once (more than 5 people) and I used to hog the shared internet bandwidth connection 24/7, downloading things. my housemates were forced to surfing the web with dialup speeds. I didn't feel guilty because they were all a bunch of messy and unhygienic, immature buggers.

same as you? :o

Thailand is an interesting country with their "Basic", "Premium" and "Business" plans. I don't know any Western country where an ISP provider offers the same download speed in several plans, where the most expensive one can cost up to 10 times more as the cheapest one (Manet 2Mb Indy is thb 590, Biz 2MB is thb 5900)

I think this strategy makes sense. In a developing country like this, their should be a basic package that normal middle class people can afford, otherwise internet access would be restricted to PAD members only. It is normal that there are some limitations on these cheaper packages. Restrictions on international bandwith seems logic as it cost money. All basic packages have limitations on P2P traffic, which includes Skype and Bittorrent.

Till June, I had Maxnet Indy too, and almost never used bittorent, simply because most of the times it didn't work. Then I upgraded to the Maxnet 4Mb Premier package, and if was a relieve ! Everything works pretty fast now. I'm not longer surprised when I see torrent downloads of +300KB. Expensive ? Compared with the Indy package, yes. But hardly more expensive as in my home country (where they have monthly download limits) I did the "glasnost test" and found out that my ISP isn't throttling my traffic at all.

So the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. If you use internet only for checking your mail and sanook.com, these basic packages are your thing. If you are like me, watching almost every day a movie and transmitting my home TV to Thailand using a Slingbox, then you should consider to spend some extra baht.

And for the OP : if you have one of these basic packages, calling me a "hog" will not solve your problem as your ISP throttles your traffic anyway. However, if you have a Premium or similar package, then you should contact your ISP again and again and again. When I did my upgrade, absolutely nothing worked. It took them two weeks and several calls to find out that one of the settings in their "exchange" was wrong for my account.

well again you're clearly talking out of your ass

most isp in north american have a 256kbits plan for very cheap

then average plans for 3x the price @ 3 to 5mbits

then have a power plan @ 8-10mbits and super power plans @ 15+mbits

all different prices.

This discussion is soooooo old.

Torrent traffic does indeed take as much bandwidth as possible. So people who just want to surf, check mail etc. will start complaining about torrent users.

Then the torrent users come up with the statement that they just use what they pay for. "If I pay for 2Mbps download, I want to use 2Mbps 24/7." The only thing is, you're not paying for 2Mbps-all-for-yourself, you're paying for 2Mbps-shared-with-other-people. The bandwidth amount is a peak indication.

Sharing is difficult, since everyone always wants the most out of it. The Thais make a good example when it comes to money, the posters on TV make a good example when it's about internet bandwidth.

But: internet is a shared medium.

Comparing speeds and adsl packages with Europe or America is useless. The majority of subscribers just see that phone line coming into their house and have no clue how the rest works, no clue about the requirements nor the costs. Look beyond that and you'll see that Thailand is making progress. Indeed slowly, with lots of problems which are way over the head of most ISP technicians, but it is progress.

Torrent traffic does indeed take as much bandwidth as possible. So people who just want to surf, check mail etc. will start complaining about torrent users.

Then the torrent users come up with the statement that they just use what they pay for. "If I pay for 2Mbps download, I want to use 2Mbps 24/7." The only thing is, you're not paying for 2Mbps-all-for-yourself, you're paying for 2Mbps-shared-with-other-people. The bandwidth amount is a peak indication.

You cannot be serious.

If you weren't expected to get 2mbps the the ISP shouldn't advertise it as such.

If the ISP is selling you 2mbps with a fan out ratio of 50 then they should advertise is as 40kbps.

Cheers

Sharing is difficult, since everyone always wants the most out of it. The Thais make a good example when it comes to money, the posters on TV make a good example when it's about internet bandwidth.

Comparing speeds and adsl packages with Europe or America is useless. The majority of subscribers just see that phone line coming into their house and have no clue how the rest works, no clue about the requirements nor the costs. Look beyond that and you'll see that Thailand is making progress. Indeed slowly, with lots of problems which are way over the head of most ISP technicians, but it is progress.

again someone who has no idea what hes talking about

ADSL isnt SHARED. CABLE is shared.. so since every isp in thailand is ADSL. you are on a dedicated line to the central office(suposly) and should be getting the full 2mbits at all time without slowing down anyone unless the company is too retarded to have something bigger than a t3 link for 4000 people..

Also connecting people to ADSL costs nothing, most people complaining live in dense area. Also thailans is very small.. think of canada.. even people living in the middle of nowhere are getting ADSL nowadays where labour costs a shitload... here they take any homeless guy and give him money to put up some wires.. how hard can it be to wire the whole small country? not very.

The only reason the infrastructure sucks is because the ISP's don't care and are trying to make unimaginable profits cutting down on everything possible, especialy repairs. i mean .. have u even seen the 10 year old modems they give? thats <deleted> crazy..

Old ass modems, cheap infrastucture

price? higher than most western countries.

You cannot be serious.

If you weren't expected to get 2mbps the the ISP shouldn't advertise it as such.

If the ISP is selling you 2mbps with a fan out ratio of 50 then they should advertise is as 40kbps.

Cheers

Actually that's how ISP's work. They only guarantee the rated speed inside their network, once it hops out, there is nothing that can be done. If you'd expect 2mbit worldwide - no chance.

again someone who has no idea what hes talking about

correct! that someone is a little goat which has no idea what it is talking about. the Dedicated Subscriber Line means nothing else than "dedicated" till the next node. after that each and everything is shared (according to the whims respectively technical setup of the ISP and of course the traffic which has to go through a wellknown bottleneck from Thailand outbound) :o

correct! that someone is a little goat which has no idea what it is talking about. the Dedicated Subscriber Line means nothing else than "dedicated" till the next node. after that each and everything is shared (according to the whims respectively technical setup of the ISP and of course the traffic which has to go through a wellknown bottleneck from Thailand outbound) :D

ADSL

Wrong D.

:o

correct! that someone is a little goat which has no idea what it is talking about. the Dedicated Subscriber Line means nothing else than "dedicated" till the next node. after that each and everything is shared (according to the whims respectively technical setup of the ISP and of course the traffic which has to go through a wellknown bottleneck from Thailand outbound) :D

ADSL

Wrong D.

:o

You beat me to it! :D