Q: How Much To Build A House In Isarn For Wife's Mum And Dad?

scholes

Hi everybody,

I trust the wife. Don't know her family very well. Mum and stepfather need to build a house cause they are currently living with stepfather's parents and they don't get on.

Mum likes her drink so has fallen out with everybdy that they have tried to live wth.

So..it up to me to fund the house. How much does it cost to build a small place for two in Isarn?

Wife already has the land.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you could pay for the rent of a room for them,maybe a few hundred baht a month

how big a house you wanna build,they can put up those tin shacks for a few thousand baht or a basic concrete small place for 20k baht up there .

dont tell your wife i told you this as dont want a thai honey on my case,tell her i told you 2 million should be about right and you need to send it asap in cash to the mothers bank account......phew

Hi everybody,

I trust the wife. Don't know her family very well. Mum and stepfather need to build a house cause they are currently living with stepfather's parents and they don't get on.

Mum likes her drink so has fallen out with everybdy that they have tried to live wth.

So..it up to me to fund the house. How much does it cost to build a small place for two in Isarn?

Any thoughts?

I built a small 775 Square foot concrete house near Phetchaburi in 2003 and it cost me just shy of 350,000 Baht. This was using the standard block, fill and cover cement method with wood timbers (treated with anti-insect material) and the thicker (4mm) roof tiles. It also included all the inside floor tiles, painting, and appliances such as a kitchen sink, and bathroom (western style) fixtures, and solid Teak double door on the front and sliding vinyl windows I bought from my company (I managed the manufacturing facility). My brother-in-law did the building from start to finish. I would suspect that today the same house would cost well over 500,00 Baht, probably more.

Just this trip back I purchased some paint and other items and left some cash for my brother-in-law to do some maintenance items. Total cost of maintenance after 5 years about 6,000 Baht. I would think that in Issan, the materials and labor are probably a little less cost than more "metropolitan" areas since its hard for people to afford there, but I could be wrong. I would recommend, depending upon size, trying to keep it between 500,000 and 750,000 Baht. I think my house is something like 6 meters by 12 meters. Small kitchen, small bath, 1 bedroom and an "L" shaped great room. Very nice sized for two people, which is all I need in this world!

I shopped for bargain tiles, fixtures, doors and etc myself to help control the costs.

One good tip...anywhere near water usage, such as bathroom...buy those vinyl/PVC doors or the wood one's will rot out in no time.

Regards,

Martian

Hi everybody,

Any thoughts?

How big a house to do you live in ??....they will want something similar..

Just came from the sniff-test :o thread. Also posted by a first-poster. Seen a few of these troll-like newbie posts lately. Someone bored?

Group: Members

Member No.: 67,890

Group: Members

Member No.: 67,894

Edited by OlRedEyes

I'd go for renting them accomodation first, just to make sure all is above board. One thousand a month is adequate. Slow down Scholes, get the lay of the land first. That's not the wifes land if you know what I mean. Many a farang have fallen by the wayside in Thailand.

Hi everybody,

Any thoughts?

I would only build the house after I was married for at least a year or two to make sure things are going to last. If not don't spend more than you can afford to lose. A small house is about $500,000.00 baht.

your first line !!!!

I TRUST THE WIFE!

Are you sure?

Well I have known my wife for 15 years, married for 7 years with a 4 year old son.

I am sure and have been since the first year I knew her.

Therefore why wouldn't the OP?

My wife's mother (my mother in law) lives with us in a small house we built and all of us are happy with that while her Dad lives in Bangkok with the rest of my wife's family. He is welcome to live with us full time also.

your first line !!!!

I TRUST THE WIFE!

Are you sure?

Well I have known my wife for 15 years, married for 7 years with a 4 year old son.

My wife's mother (my mother in law) lives with us in a small house we built and all of us are happy with that while her Dad lives in Bangkok with the rest of my wife's family. He is welcome to live with us full time also.

The opening comment "I trust the wife " indicates he doesn't . He's trying to convince us that he does by starting with it. Reason being is because he knows he's going to come under criticism from the start about his wifes honesty. First rule of thumb in Thailand. Never trust a Thai. Either G/F or wife. Second rule never trust a farang. Edited by coventry

your first line !!!!

I TRUST THE WIFE!

Are you sure?

Hi

A very nice reply :o

roy gsd

your first line !!!!

I TRUST THE WIFE!

Are you sure?

The opening comment "I trust the wife " indicates he doesn't . He's trying to convince us that he does by starting with it. Reason being is because he knows he's going to come under criticism from the start about his wifes honesty. First rule of thumb in Thailand. Never trust a Thai. Either G/F or wife. Second rule never trust a farang.

Third rule,

Take no notice of People from Coventry, dont forget they were likely sent there for a reason, :o

Roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

Hi everybody,

Any thoughts?

Scholes,

Lots of undercurrent pressure for wives of farangs to build up family assets. As far as building a house for the in laws, I would make it VERY basic, whatever you build will deteriorate from day one with a hard drinking women at the helm.

No fancy bathrooms or kitchens etc, just go for a shack on stilts mate....be strong about it too..its your dosh and it takes firm resolve not to be sucked into financing a show home. Funny thing is that this firmness gains respect rather than scorn.

About 100, 000 should put a decent roof over their heads and if they don't seem to appreciate your gesture you may have a heads up on what sort of people they are.

Khun Andy

Hi everybody,

Any thoughts?

Scholes,

Lots of undercurrent pressure for wives of farangs to build up family assets. As far as building a house for the in laws, I would make it VERY basic, whatever you build will deteriorate from day one with a hard drinking women at the helm.

No fancy bathrooms or kitchens etc, just go for a shack on stilts mate....be strong about it too..its your dosh and it takes firm resolve not to be sucked into financing a show home. Funny thing is that this firmness gains respect rather than scorn.

About 100, 000 should put a decent roof over their heads and if they don't seem to appreciate your gesture you may have a heads up on what sort of people they are.

Khun Andy

Ditto

I put a cement floor on and that was it. 35k and happy campers.

For other reasons another house along way off is desired,

I have NOT sprung to that one, even if it is only 100k or so.

Mother is lovely, doesn't EVER touch a drop, but after 11 kids

and lotsa decades is not so strong, Still she DOES have a good house now.

I'd rather spring for more pigs n chickens.

She wants nothing, but what god brings her.

Only time my Mrs. gets on about money is AFTER she's with the ladies.

Especially the ones who haven't seen where she lives now.

Those that have have shut up.

Thais are 'keeping up with the Jone's' types 100%, 24/7,

all their slightly better off friends make them look smaller

with what they have, so they await ANY opportunity to return the favor.

It's the kow tow to those with a bigger pile thing.

MY son in law is richer than your son in law.

Look what he built US!. Ah yes,

you have more status now for sure.

Spend a week up there and see how it goes.

Watch and don't commit to ANYTHING while there.

my 4¢

I'm in a similar situation, I looked up the prices for the most substantive items in a 7 meter by 7 meter one-storey cinderblock house in the USA, just so I could get a rough idea of what it'd cost in Thailand. I made liberal estimates and choose the more expensive items from HomeDepot.com, just to err on the side of safety. Here's what I found (in USD):

Floor- poured concrete 20ftby20ft, 6'' deep- 3$ bag x 360 bags= $1000

Rebar- for floor and walls- 6$ per 20' length x 60 bars= $400

Mortar-3$x100 bags= $300

Tile- floors and 5' wainscoat- 2$sqft x 1000= $2000

Roof- corrugated $12 per 8' section- $450

Door- sliding glass double pane- $400 x 3 doors- $1200

Cinderblock-2$sqft= $1600

Paint- $200

Insulation- fiberglass 10$ per 40sqft= 220= $300

aircon- 100

toilet- 100

sinks-2= 250

Total= $8000- 270,000 Baht.

Obviously I didn't get all the items, but I assume the liberal estimates of the other materials make up for that. Labor isn't included.

Is this reasonable?

Edited by RY12

I'm in a similar situation, I looked up the prices for the most substantive items in a 7 meter by 7 meter one-storey cinderblock house in the USA, just so I could get a rough idea of what it'd cost in Thailand. I made liberal estimates and choose the more expensive items from HomeDepot.com, just to err on the side of safety. Here's what I found (in USD):

Floor- poured concrete 20ftby20ft, 6'' deep- 3$ bag x 360 bags= $1000

Rebar- for floor and walls- 6$ per 20' length x 60 bars= $400

Mortar-3$x100 bags= $300

Tile- floors and 5' wainscoat- 2$sqft x 1000= $2000

Roof- corrugated $12 per 8' section- $450 ]

Door- sliding glass double pane- $400 x 3 doors- $1200

Cinderblock-2$sqft= $1600

Paint- $200

Insulation- fiberglass 10$ per 40sqft= 220= $300

aircon- 100

toilet- 100

sinks-2= 250

Total= $8000- 270,000 Baht.

Obviously I didn't get all the items, but I assume the liberal estimates of the other materials make up for that. Labor isn't included.

Is this reasonable?

In the op's case where the mother is a drunk, and they (mother & stepfather) have no home, no nothing, but live with stepfather's parents - a basic shack is needed so they can be on their own!

10 concrete posts = 4000

1000 blocks = 4000

concrete/sand/stone/steel = 10000

windows = 4000

doors = 2000

grass roof = 8000

toilet/septik = 4000

outdoor kitchen = 0

extras = 4000

labour = 20000

Sum = 60000

This is just a rough estimate, but 100.000 baht should be more than enough, and as khunandy already has said - it will deteriorate from day one! :o

Edited by bergen

In the op's case where the mother is a drunk, and they (mother & stepfather) have no home, no nothing, but live with stepfather's parents - a basic shack is needed so they can be on their own!

10 concrete posts = 4000

1000 blocks = 4000

windows = 4000

doors = 2000

grass roof = 8000

toilet/septik = 4000

outdoor kitchen = 0

extras = 4000

labour = 20000

Sum = 60000

This is just a rough estimate, but 100.000 baht should be more than enough, and as khunandy already has said - it will deteriorate from day one! :o

Yes, there are certainly cheaper structures available :D . But why does the one you list need to deteriorate from day one? I mean, what could happen to a thatched block house if it's built carefully? The thatch will get musty, the appliances might malfunction, but the block walls aren't going to start cracking or anything... but I guess if there aren't any tiles, filth will start accumulating in the cement floor, block wall...

10 concrete posts = 4000

1000 blocks = 4000

windows = 4000

doors = 2000

grass roof = 8000

toilet/septik = 4000

outdoor kitchen = 0

extras = 4000

labour = 20000

Sum = 60000

Yes, there are certainly cheaper structures available :D . But why does the one you list need to deteriorate from day one? I mean, what could happen to a thatched block house if it's built carefully? The thatch will get musty, the appliances might malfunction, but the block walls aren't going to start cracking or anything... but I guess if there aren't any tiles, filth will start accumulating in the cement floor, block wall...

With no maitainance -

Almost no cleaning -

Throwing plastic, bottles, cans, -

And everything else that comes to mind everywhere-

Dogs, chickens, cows, buffaloes walking and sh.........evrywhere -

The place will most certain look like a pigsty in a short time :D

But then again I might be wrong, and maybe this couple likes to do nothing else than cleaning and gardening...................................... :D

That is if they have any time to spare between their drinking periods :D

your first line !!!!

I TRUST THE WIFE!

Are you sure?

Hi

roy gsd

No it wasn't !

It bears no resemblance to the OP's situation. I suspect (no evidence) that he has known his wife only for a short time, certainly, he does not know the 'in-laws' very well. and has never met them. I doubt that billd766's mother in law is a drunk......

Hi everybody,

Any thoughts?

What happened to the old house?

Would you buy your in-laws in farangland a house?

Your a fool for not leaving your wife after she asked you this question, time will make it clearer for you, after you lost all, what you deserve.

MBL

your first line !!!!

I TRUST THE WIFE!

Are you sure?

Hi

roy gsd

No it wasn't !

It bears no resemblance to the OP's situation. I suspect (no evidence) that he has known his wife only for a short time, certainly, he does not know the 'in-laws' very well. and has never met them. I doubt that billd766's mother in law is a drunk......

Thanks for thr vote of confidence roygsd. :P:D

No she is not a drunk and I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw her drink any alcohol.

She is a nice old stick and can speak about 3 words of English though she can understand my mangled Thai and she has a good sense of humour. :D :D :D

Out of curiosity younger people normally respect older people and son in laws should respect their wife's parents.

What should I do as I am a couple of years older than my mother-in-law? :D:(

Edited by billd766

My mother-in-law is fine and I would trust her like my own mother. Not everyone has a bad story to tell about their in-laws. It is easy to listen to the masses as there are unfortunately more bad stories flying around than good positive ones about Thai famillies. Make your own mind up and make sure you give yourself enough time to establish trust and weigh up the family you have married into but don't listen too much to others as you will assume everyone is bad which certainly is not the case. As for buying a house for yourself and/or your in-laws well many will advise against this but probably have done it themselves. If it is a sensible some of money as mentioned by other posters of 300-500k baht then this is little more than the price of a caravan back in the western world and not much money to lose if anything goes wrong. Most of us can't forsee misfortune in ourselves only can see it in others. As the saying goes love is blind and most will give to a partner or wife irrespective of any advice just don't blow anything financially that you can't afford to lose and you will be fine. Done right you will have a place to stay in the village and enjoy rural simple life when on holiday with your thai family. So far it has worked out well for my wife and I and our in-laws for 8 years but can I see the future... no. I can't forsee if I will be with my wife till the end of this year or 50 years. I hope it is 50 years but most who end up divorced rarely see it coming whether in Thailand or when married to a western wife, its no different.

Jay

The op's story is different from yours! :o

he don't know her wife's mother/stepfather very well (probably never met them)

they live in the house of the stepfather's parents

the mother is an alcoholic, and that is not going well with the stepfather's parents.

they need a place of their own, and it's not a request for a future holiday home for the op!

If a combined holiday home was the case - I would have quoted higher figures in my building recommendations! :D

Hi everybody,

Any thoughts?

Sure... Take everything you got in your bank account, pension, and investments and put it on the table.

Now, slide it across the table to your wife and relatives, with a big grin, knowing you'll never get it back.

Seriously, is this a place where you want to OWN a house in the future. When the parents go to see Jesus (or someone like him), are you going to move in? Re-sale will be impossible.

I vote to rent a place for the old codgers - you are not a fricking money tree.