Work Permit Associated Benefits

Hi everyone.

I have just arrived in Thailand to start a long term contract with a local company.

Recently I bought a scooter. Despite many assurances that I would need a letter from Immigration showing proof of address, turns out all the doors opened up when the guys at the bike shop learned that I had a WP. Suddenly, no problem - pay the bucks and off you go.

Same goes for Tor Tor Sam (3) if buying a condo for example - no nneed to show a TTS if yo have a work permit.

I got to wondering - what other benefits are there for those of us unfortunatley having to work for a living, but fortunate enough to be here whilst doing so with a valid WP in hand.

If anyone has any further info on other slight differences to the regulations etc which us foreigners usually face I'd be interested to know what they might be.

Please share your experiences?

Thanks all, have a great day.

I got to wondering - what other benefits are there for those of us unfortunatley having to work for a living, but fortunate enough to be here whilst doing so with a valid WP in hand.

You can work without fear of being arrested :o

You can easily open a bank account without having to visit half a dozen banks to get accepted.

Edited by Lite Beer

A WP lists your home address, so the benefit is that you can use it in any situation (I suppose) where proof of address is needed. I guess that saves some hassle, but I have to admit I don't get carried away imagining what doors it will open for me. :o

To add to your list though, you can use your WP as proof of address when applying for a Thai driving licence.

I don't really want to mention it, but it might also get you into national parks, etc, at local rates. There are plenty of threads about that already to search on, and I am sure no-one wants to see another one. :D

Hi everyone.

I have just arrived in Thailand to start a long term contract with a local company.

Recently I bought a scooter. Despite many assurances that I would need a letter from Immigration showing proof of address, turns out all the doors opened up when the guys at the bike shop learned that I had a WP. Suddenly, no problem - pay the bucks and off you go.

Same goes for Tor Tor Sam (3) if buying a condo for example - no nneed to show a TTS if yo have a work permit.

If anyone has any further info on other slight differences to the regulations etc which us foreigners usually face I'd be interested to know what they might be.

Please share your experiences?

Thanks all, have a great day.

Basically having a work permit gives you almost all the same benefits of being a permanent resident of Thailand, with the added advantage, you can work as well...in addtion to what you have stated:

Easy to open bank accounts

Very easy to get drivers licenses

Where there is double pricing Thai vs Farang prices.. you get the Thai price.

A lot of the time, you can get through the Thai passport holders desk at the airport.

If you are on extension of stay, just report to immigration every 3 months to confirm your address, no visa runs

"Forgot to add another benefit...manage to stay on the WP for 15 years and you will be entitled to a Thai pension...really something to look forward to.... "

The pension isn't tied to the WP. It's based on Social Security payments for 180 months.

Yes, you can pay into Social Security and also pay taxes without a work permit.

"Forgot to add another benefit...manage to stay on the WP for 15 years and you will be entitled to a Thai pension...really something to look forward to.... "

The pension isn't tied to the WP. It's based on Social Security payments for 180 months.

Yes, you can pay into Social Security and also pay taxes without a work permit.

Yes...but why would you ?

First time I worked for the Thai govt., they refused to help me get a WP or extended visa, but they withheld income tax.

Second Thai govt. agency had no idea hw to get me a WP, nor did the provincial Labour office. But I got a Thai bank acct for direct deposit, and have had about 7 bank accounts since then.

In my name, I registered a motorcycle without a WP. And, four Thai driver's licenses.

I have never seen a work permit. It would have been nice. However, working without one for two years cost me 200K to 300K baht. Wages were 25K per month. It would have been cheaper to come on a retirement visa and work illegally. Which is why I do not work now

And we all just love those 90 day reports

You don't have to report in person. That is why my PA goes down there every 90 days now.

A WP lists your home address

Well, mine actually says some really Hi-So large building in the Silom Sathorn area, so even though I don't live there, I have a really nice address

You can pay tax, and are on the path to Thai Residence Permit and citizenship. :o

Very good point. There seems no other way to get PR unless you legitimately pay your taxes, and fair enough.\

...Another benefit that might be mentioned is that to get most major Thai credit cards you need to show a work history at the same job a few years in a row.

6 Months is the minimum, but those cases are rare. I did it a while back at 6 months, but the company I worked for, the Bank was a large customer.