Discourtesy On The Road

Simbo

:o Why, when a Thai gets behind the wheel of a car, does he become the most inconsiderate person ever. He will stop anywhere, causing a traffic jam, and doesn't bat an eye. If you leave a sensible gap between you and the vehicle ahead, someone will jump into it. He will drive at a snails pace in the fast lane. One would have to be clairvoyant to anticipate what they are going to do next. I've even seen them give a left hand signal when turning right. Motorcycles are a whole new topic. Mosquitos on wheels. Have I missed anything? :D

:o  Why, when a Thai gets behind the wheel of a car, does he become the most inconsiderate person ever. He will stop anywhere, causing a traffic jam, and doesn't bat an eye. If you leave a sensible gap between you and the vehicle ahead, someone will jump into it. He will drive at a snails pace in the fast lane. One would have to be clairvoyant to anticipate what they are going to do next. I've even seen them give a left hand signal when turning right. Motorcycles are a whole new topic. Mosquitos on wheels.  Have I missed anything?  :D

No road sense at all, My wife is LEARNING to drive at the moment, I'm yet to let her drive me yet (not unless we want a row) :D .

The problem is they actually think that they are doing nothing wrong when they drive like this.

I still go bezerk behind the wheel whilst driving here, I'm calmer than when i first came but i can't sit quietly when some idiot in a death trap is putting me and my family in danger on the road.

Whilst riding back from Malaysia the number of times I looked in the mirror to see some <deleted> sitting about 1 foot off of the back of the bike, this pisses me off because firstly the bikes are'nt quiet so you can't hear a quieter car/ truck behind and secondly, when i'm going past traffic in the left hand lane. where the **** does the idiot behind expect me to go, car in front of me, car next to me, and this <deleted> up my ****, on one occasion a truck nearly took me out and he got a bike boot in his ******* door for doing so.

Bastards. :D

:o  Why, when a Thai gets behind the wheel of a car, does he become the most inconsiderate person ever. He will stop anywhere, causing a traffic jam, and doesn't bat an eye. If you leave a sensible gap between you and the vehicle ahead, someone will jump into it. He will drive at a snails pace in the fast lane. One would have to be clairvoyant to anticipate what they are going to do next. I've even seen them give a left hand signal when turning right. Motorcycles are a whole new topic. Mosquitos on wheels.  Have I missed anything?  :D

You have just given an exact description of kiwidrivers! :D

I agree with you Simbo, it's as if once Thais get into the driving seat of a vehicle, they become MONSTERS!!!

A tourist bus driver tried to run down my elderly parents (mid 60s) in Pattaya once while they were at a zebra crossing. Apparently he told them they were in the wrong for trying to cross.....and that this is Thailand, belongs to the Thai people, if they do not like it, get out...............mind you, the bus was full of foreigners..... :o

Zebra crossings are merely for decoration in Thailand.......... :D

Lack of driving education?

Thai drivers licenses too easy to obtain?

Sooooooo true, one of my colleagues was bragging she only had to pay THB1,500 to get hers!!!

Folks.

Jai yen yen...

Jai yen yen...

I work in a place where driving is really crazy, THE MIDDLE EAST.

I also used to get annoyed with the driving here (sriracha), but let me tell you, it is a darn site better than other places. Come spend 2/3 days with me at work and you will realise how easy it is to drive here...

Compare driving here to your home country and you will never succeed, drive like the locals here and you will have no problems.

Stop complaining, things could be much worse...

The Thai usually place a high degree of emphasis on consideration, courtesy, kreng jai, etc. I don't know why it all goes out the window once they get behind the wheel.

It's as if the steel and glass separating drivers somehow nullifies the usual social custom of treating strangers courteously.

Whatever do you suppose Thai guys did with their time in the days before they had motor vehicles? :o Now that they have access to those wonderful modern status symbols, along with their cigarettes, gold and mobile phones, they must forever flaunt their enhanced standing in this unthinking society.

When I go back to Farangland now, it's always reverse cultural shock to have motor vehicles polietley stop to allow me, a lowly pedestrian, to go first. The account of the tourist bus driver trying to run down elderly farangs who innocently believed that zebra crossings actually mean something brings out the "worse than useless" syndrome in Thailand. One wonders why the Thais ever bothered to paint the useless zebra crossings. Are they merely copying farang practices, or was there some sweet deal between a painting company and ???

The TAT would do a valuable service if they would publish a small brochure warning tourists about life-threatening Thai cultural idiosyncracies, like ignoring zebra crossings, motorcycles going the wrong way, on the wrong side of the street, on the footpaths, without headlights....

I agree with Tuky,

after having lived in China for 5 years driving here is a breeze.

Thai drivers generally signal, generally wait at crossroads and traffic lights. They generally use their signal lights and they generally understand right of way.

I feel much less stressed driving here than Beijing. :o

See my previous post...

here

Thai driving isn't that bad...if you want to live here, try to fit in. You will never change it so live with it.

Just do the best you can, make sure your baby is strapped in, make sure you wear your seatbelt etc.

Your in Thailand now, and let me tell you, the driving style here is so much better than elsewhere.

If it is too much of a problem for you go home. Otherwise accept it. It could be worse...

Yes, lets do that. Lets go home. I didn't like Thailand because of the way the people drive.

:o

The original post is a very fair point and has been mentioned here several times before. Of course it's worse in other countries - the point was made because drivers in Thailand are generally bad, which in itself is worth discussion...?

Was in a taxi last night. I wasn't behind the wheel but I wanted to lay into the driver for the sake of the other drivers around him who were probably feeling the same way. Ever been queing in a row of cars to pay, say, a toll fare, the some ignorant *?@! comes out of nowhere and tries to jump in front of you? That's exactly what this prick did.

If it is too much of a problem for you go home. Otherwise accept it. It could be worse...

Yes, lets do that. Lets go home. I didn't like Thailand because of the way the people drive.

Do you have a solution? Can you help the Thai folks drive more like us western folks, cos obviously we are much better? Insight sorry, this is not directed at you at all, I have just used your comments to make my point.

Lets make Thailand...Farangland, won't it be more fun?

Do you have a solution? Can you help the Thai folks drive more like us western folks, cos obviously we are much better? Insight sorry, this is not directed at you at all, I have just used your comments to make my point.

What Bull about farang land being better. You seem to forget we have road rage here which i never saw in thailand. Yes they jump in front of you , but you never have a fight about it. :D

I was attacked two weeks ago here in EUROPE by some roadworkers for driving into a normal exit on the freeway which they were busy putting up deviation signs.

My car window where my wife was sitting was kicked 5 times in an attempt to break it, My hood was pierced by a screwdriver 4 times. my headlight on the right was smashed because some flipped worker decided that i couldn't drive there and found nothing better then to run in front of my car.

I hit him lightly when making an emergency break , after which his collegue started to smash my car...

YEAH farang road driving is much better....

Folks.

Jai yen yen...

Jai yen yen...

I also used to get annoyed with the driving here (sriracha), but let me tell you, it is a darn site better than other places. Come spend 2/3 days with me at work and you will realise how easy it is to drive here...

Compare driving here to your home country and you will never succeed, drive like the locals here and you will have no problems.

Great attitude, risk life and limb every day on the roads, 13000 road deaths a year, but we should stop complaining because things could be worse. Typical Thai reaction, look the other way, never admit to any problems, keep smiling even though thousands of people are dying needlessly. BTW thing are not much worse than the middle east, road deaths percentage wise are much higher in Thailand, and it's about ###### time some one did complain and start to tackle this horrendous problem. A little driver education could reduce road deaths and congestion, thus aiding the whole country financially as well as emotionally.

Be part of the solution not the problem

I am not saying that they should turn Thailand into farangland, just a little education, get people to wear seatbelts, obey traffic lights, sigal a manouver, the kind of stuff that saves lives, there are more road deaths here than in america and most of eastern europe combined, in a country of 60 million people with a fraction of the cars, can't you see that it is time the government did something about it? Or is life that cheap here that it does not matter, I guess the mown down pedestrian is worthless because he didn't have a car anyway!

What Bull about farang land being better. You seem to forget we have road rage here which i never saw in thailand. Yes they jump in front of you , but you never have a fight about it. :D

I was attacked two weeks ago here in EUROPE by some roadworkers for driving into a normal exit on the freeway which they were busy putting up deviation signs.

My car window where my wife was sitting was kicked 5 times in an attempt to break it, My hood was pierced by a screwdriver 4 times. my headlight on the right was smashed because some flipped worker decided that i couldn't drive there and found nothing better then to run in front of my car.

I hit him lightly when making an emergency break , after which his collegue started to smash my car...

YEAH farang road driving is much better....

Same thing happened to my wife when we were in NZ. I was pissed so she drove home from a party.She cut off a driver by mistake. The Driver took exception. and stopped his car in front of us , making it impossible to drive any further. The driver got out of his car and kicked the car and abused my wife. I'm quite a large lad, and got out of the car quick smart and ran towards the bloke...he ran away like a big womens blouse .... Road rage is everywhere...not just Thailand.

See my previous post...

here

Thai driving isn't that bad...if you want to live here, try to fit in. You will never change it so live with it.

Just do the best you can, make sure your baby is strapped in, make sure you wear your seatbelt etc.

Your in Thailand now, and let me tell you, the driving style here is so much better than elsewhere.

20 years, 100's of thousands of Kilometers driven all over the country. Never an accident, bar a little fender-bender a couple of nights ago...

Fact is, the vast majority of drivers drive just fine. Go out and count the percentages someday while you're driving. Some idiot drivers everywhere, but not ALL anywhere. Some stupid driving by both Farang and Thai...

Cay yen yen is the main idea. So many farangs get so upset at driving here, and even let tiny annoyances drive them crazy, like someone cutting into a space you left open for them. That's the style here, so if you want to control more than just the space you occupy, then don't leave enough room...Or, give then more space to be safer and let them go on their merry way... What's so difficult about that? Don't let your ego do your driving for you. Might is Right. That's the way it is here, and I follow that, too. It would be unsafe to do otherwise. If someone does something stupid, just give them the space to do it and let them get far away from you- don't play road rage games. Nobody wants to have an accident, but many here are aggressive drivers, so one must be a defensive driver to remain safe.

I'm much more afraid of the farang driver than most any Thai driver, since so many farangs drive by some perceived legal 'rights'. Thai drivers are much more pragmatic, in my experience. Pretty much like Thai society. I think the 'Might is Right' is a great common sense idea for driving- if everyone accepts that and plays the game by those rules. Most Thai drivers do, many farang drivers don't, ime.

But, it's also a fact that many many drivers here like to drink and drive, and there is very little proper driver training here. For many newbie drivers they have more experience driving a buffalo. And I've begun to see more 'road rage' happening here, though still nothing like in california but, still, seeing it here more and more...

I'd like to see a professional, well-run government sponsored and required driver training program for ALL drivers in Thailand. I'd like to see police get serious with driving offences, especially drunk drivers. Take them to jail, do not pass go.

I'd like to see lots of things, but until things change, I'll focus on seeing the way things are, and cooperating as much as I can, for my safety, and the safety of others.

Well that's the irony - there's very little (physical) road rage in Thailand, even with all the terrible habits. It's all non-confrontational, which is why people take advantage so much.

I reckon so anyway.

I agree with that, mostly. But, 'taking advantage' here might not be seen in the negative light some others might feel it is.

If you drive here and feel too upset all the time about other drivers, for the safety of everyone around you, stop driving. It's not worth having a stroke over, na'?

http://asian-links.com/larry/motor.html has some info and advice that some might find useful, especially bike riders.

Stay safe :o

I don't care about elsewhere. Driving is absolute shit here. I've been on the verge of death a few times this past week.

No, we can't change it. But its fun to bitch about it.

Why are Thai drivers so bad...?

1) impatience

2) selfishness

3) absolutely no driver education

4) absolutely no traffic enforcement

5) substandard roads

The list can go on...

I'm sick of this response. Some of us don't have such an option.

Where ever you live, is it not wrong to comment upon an aspect of your society that you may not agree with? Thai drivers are ridiculously dangerous drivers without any respect or value for other people's lives. The risks that I see taken DAILY by the drivers here are shocking. I thought this was common knowledge.

Where ever you live, is it not wrong to comment upon an aspect of your society that you may not agree with?
I agree with this, there are a lot of people on this forum that translate complaining as anti-thai, which is not nessesery so.
Thai drivers are ridiculously dangerous drivers without any respect or value for other people's lives.

This I disagree with, they just have different rules of the road here, you just have to learn them.

Why, when a Thai gets behind the wheel of a car, does he become the most inconsiderate person ever. He will stop anywhere, causing a traffic jam, and doesn't bat an eye. If you leave a sensible gap between you and the vehicle ahead, someone will jump into it. He will drive at a snails pace in the fast lane. One would have to be clairvoyant to anticipate what they are going to do next. I've even seen them give a left hand signal when turning right. Motorcycles are a whole new topic. Mosquitos on wheels.  Have I missed anything?

Glad you specified Thai at the beginning. Otherwise I would have thought you were describing big city America. :o

I know it won't help soothe your feelings, but it ain't just LoS. After driving for many months on the fairly civilized roadways of places like Japan, Germany and the UK, driving in places like the states drives me nuts. Haven't driven in LoS, so I can only imagine the frustration.

"You have just given an exact description of kiwidrivers! "

I have to admit that Auckland drivers are some of the worst in the world.... that's why I fitted in just fine driving in Bangkok :D

I do a lot of driving around Loei Province and I find that the Thai drivers are mostly courteous, the slow drivers keep to the left and will indicate when it's safe to overtake.

If you ask a local who is the worst driver on the road they would all have the same answer.......

The Newspaper Truck from Bangkok

It's that cream coloured truck which has a green stripe.

It is a short wheel base Isuzu

If you see him stay well clear!!! he has a face like this :D, he overtakes

on corners and brows of hills and he drives at 130kph minimum...

Just like you then.... wifey says :o

Motorbikes..... well that's a different story....

Why do the riders never look right when they are turning left onto a main road??

Oh and how come you don't see cars towing trailers here???

You have just given an exact description of kiwidrivers! :D
But in NZ you have space

This old argument that if you don't like it sod off - is totally LAME. People accept compliments ok, but a little criticism even when constructive and right as the original comment, gets folk all defensive. There is lots to love and blame in Thailand as anywhere. People want to live here, but there is a lot to criticise too. We do the same in our own countries and that is probably why the driving is better, no corruption, better services..... Anyway, I can level the same argument right back - if you don't like the comment - get the he11 out of the Forum.

No one said anything about making Thailand 'Farangland'. The thread is a comment on the woeful quality of Thai driving, and is a fair comment. Who mentioned changing the whole country to be the same as a western country?? This taking to extremes is totally lame too. You want to discuss changing the whole country to be like the US or europe - go start your own chuffing thread because it has nothing to do with this one.
Folks.

Jai yen yen...

Jai yen yen...

After cancer, the biggest killer in Thailand is accidents. Accidents account for nearly as many deaths as AIDS and heart disease together. Lots of money and research is spent on cancer, AIDS, and heart disease - but hey - "if you don't like it get out of the country" might be a better way of looking at it.

Deaths caused by accidents are way down on the list for western countries. Is it not a sensible attitude to try and learn from other countries, and from their solutions. Is it not sensible to try and take good aspects of other cultures and incoorporate them??? Driving might well be worse elsewhere but so what? It is bad enough here.

Great attitude, risk life and limb every day on the roads, 13000 road deaths a year, but we should stop complaining because things could be worse. Typical Thai reaction, look the other way, never admit to any problems, keep smiling even though thousands of people are dying needlessly. BTW thing are not much worse than the middle east, road deaths percentage wise are much higher in Thailand, and it's about ###### time some one did complain and start to tackle this horrendous problem. A little driver education could reduce road deaths and congestion, thus aiding the whole country financially as well as emotionally.

Be part of the solution not the problem

Well said that man.

The TAT would do a valuable service if they would publish a small brochure warning tourists about life-threatening Thai cultural idiosyncracies, like ignoring zebra crossings, motorcycles going the wrong way, on the wrong side of the street, on the footpaths, without headlights....

Zebra crossings are there to tell you where to cross the road, not for the cars to stop. Good idea about a brochure - just because in my country a zc means the cars stop doesn't mean that Thailand has to do the same. If visiting a new country it is good to read all about the differences.

This artcle was published in The Pattaya Trader recently:

KING OF THE ROAD

By

Will Baring

Being a passenger in any motorized vehicle in Thailand could be justifiably described as unwise. To actually drive oneself runs the risk of being labelled mentally unstable, despite personal driving skills.

Thai drivers are much maligned for their perceived lack of road sense, particularly by farang. Of course farang believe they know better and in some cases may have the notion of commonsense on their side. Have you ever wondered why a Thai driver who only escapes death by the fact that you stood on the brake looks at you in complete bewilderment? Why you have given him/her the single-digit salute as your mouth moves uncontrollably whilst your face contorts is a total mystery to the person whose life you spared. Most often, Farang wish they had not bothered hitting the brake when they realise that their act of saving another's life is met with contempt. Many a time they wish they had run over them and then reversed over their head, just to make sure they got the bastard.

Perhaps the biggest difficulty from the farang perspective is the failure to grasp the fundamental principle of Thai driving. The classic Thai driver knows exactly where he/she wants to go and sees absolutely no reason why their intentions should be shared with anyone else. Yes, of course, they may well have a last minute change of strategy, but that is their right as they have the freedom of choice. It is not the business of others to be apprised of where they are going in advance. That is why those amber winking lights on vehicles are regarded as a recreational addition to the drivers' enjoyment of the driving experience. Flashing lights, including those at junctions where the traffic lights have given up the ghost, are regarded only for their entertainment value. As a driver approaches a T-junction with the 'clear' intention of turning left, the very sight of the winking light on the driver's side of the vehicle adds to the feeling of independence. To put on the hazards causing all the lights to flash at once is bordering on the orgasmic. They appear blissfully unaware that fellow road users may glean some meaning from their antics; some may even believe they have a mechanical problem.

Regardless, certain drivers firmly believe this is the internationally recognised way of indicating the intention of going straight ahead at a crossroads, regardless of the fact they will turn either left or right at their whim.

It should be obvious that the use of rear-view mirrors is optional as far as the law may be concerned, yet obligatory from a Thai social standing point of view.

From the male perspective, mirrors are a must to ensure that nose picking is executed in a stylish manner. From the female perspective, whilst nose picking is far from out of the question, the primary purpose of any mirror is for checking and re-applying make up.

There are of course fundamental physiological differences vis-à-vis Farang and other races, one of which is seemingly endemic to the Thai. I refer to peripheral vision. Should horse racing ever become the rage in Thailand, the sports press will not have to waste time suffixing the names of the Thai horses with 'B', as it will be assumed they are all blinkered, allowing them only to see what is directly in front of them through a six inch tunnel of vision. Anything left or right of their main focus is guaranteed not to interfere with their chosen path, because as far as they are concerned there is nothing there in the first place.

I cannot leave this topic without mentioning the Thai ladies who drive top of the range motors, typically silver in colour although distinguishable by other factors. The mainstream dead giveaways include: the car is apparently being driven on autopilot as there is no sign of a head protruding above the driver's seat; the car is travelling at slightly faster than buffalo strolling pace; the person in control of the vehicle seems to have no idea where it wants to go and is prone to unexpectedly stop in order to practice a thirty-nine point turn whilst attempting to park. The antithesis of the Thai female 'quality' car driver is of course the Thai male. These most often soon-to-be Non-Performing Loans are easy to spot. The speeds they employ are either foot to the floor or dead stop (the latter speed usually due to ramming the vehicle in front). They seems to have some misconception that any lane in which they choose to travel should be clear at all times. If some selfish motorist has the audacity to get in their way, despite the fact that the traffic ahead would only be avoidable if they were in a helicopter, the automatic reaction is to tailgate them from a distance of less than a foot whilst flashing their headlights. If this scare tactic does not work, then they will dart in on the inside and take off a layer of paint as they gain that imperative vehicle length advantage by cutting back in.

The above may come across as suggestive that Thai drivers are not as well versed in driving skills, common courtesy, road etiquette and the sense they were born with as farang. That, whilst empirically speaking being not far from the truth, is not always the case: cue the Farang King of the Road!

I of course allude to some of the inadequates who need to look down on other road users from their lofty driving position behind the wheel of a 4 WD vehicle. These specimens live in their own little world and certainly do seem to believe that they are invincible. Why oh why they delude themselves by mentally placing themselves in the make believe and exalted position of road supremo is quite beyond me. I have many theories but the fundamental has to be an inferiority complex.

Perhaps they were bullied at school; they have no friends as people think they are tossers; their genitals are so small that paid for company laughs out loud that at them even after they have swallowed a four pack of Vitamin V; they always wanted to be a lorry driver or Fireman since the age of seven. There are many more possible reasons but I think you will get the gist of the breed.

Of course not all drivers of such vehicles never to be used for the purpose they were designed are arrogant inadequates devoid of the required skills to control of the vehicles they mistakenly believe give them 'status'. The inability to be able to: keep their vehicle within the boundaries of their chosen lane, park in a space that a novice Tour Bus driver could drive into without reversing and to show a modicum of regard to other road users are but a few of their traits.

Many of these people delude themselves by truly believing other road users revere them. The sad truth is that many are seen for the incompetent, dangerous and arrogant pains in the arse they so often prove themselves to be.

Much criticism is directed at Thai drivers by farang and often justifiably so in my view. That said, whilst many Thai drivers are indeed a menace, the farang ‘Kings of the Road’ in their inappropriate conveyances are an infuriating nuisance who give farang drivers in general a bad name.

Time they gave themselves a reality check methinks. I bet that several of the people I am referring to will read this and sagely nod, as they do not see themselves as the subject.

The 'I'm a great driver!' syndrome is sadly an incurable condition once the sufferer has been crowned 'King of the Road'…

See my previous post...

here

20 years, 100's of thousands of Kilometers driven all over the country. Never an accident, bar a little fender-bender a couple of nights ago...

Fact is, the vast majority of drivers drive just fine. Go out and count the percentages someday while you're driving. Some idiot drivers everywhere, but not ALL anywhere. Some stupid driving by both Farang and Thai...

Cay yen yen is the main idea. So many farangs get so upset at driving here, and even let tiny annoyances drive them crazy, like someone cutting into a space you left open for them. That's the style here, so if you want to control more than just the space you occupy, then don't leave enough room...Or, give then more space to be safer and let them go on their merry way... What's so difficult about that? Don't let your ego do your driving for you. Might is Right. That's the way it is here, and I follow that, too. It would be unsafe to do otherwise. If someone does something stupid, just give them the space to do it and let them get far away from you- don't play road rage games. Nobody wants to have an accident, but many here are aggressive drivers, so one must be a defensive driver to remain safe.

I'm much more afraid of the farang driver than most any Thai driver, since so many farangs drive by some perceived legal 'rights'. Thai drivers are much more pragmatic, in my experience. Pretty much like Thai society. I think the 'Might is Right' is a great common sense idea for driving- if everyone accepts that and plays the game by those rules. Most Thai drivers do, many farang drivers don't, ime.

But, it's also a fact that many many drivers here like to drink and drive, and there is very little proper driver training here. For many newbie drivers they have more experience driving a buffalo. And I've begun to see more 'road rage' happening here, though still nothing like in california but, still, seeing it here more and more...

I'd like to see a professional, well-run government sponsored and required driver training program for ALL drivers in Thailand. I'd like to see police get serious with driving offences, especially drunk drivers. Take them to jail, do not pass go.

I'd like to see lots of things, but until things change, I'll focus on seeing the way things are, and cooperating as much as I can, for my safety, and the safety of others.

Well that's the irony - there's very little (physical) road rage in Thailand, even with all the terrible habits. It's all non-confrontational, which is why people take advantage so much.

I reckon so anyway.

I agree with that, mostly. But, 'taking advantage' here might not be seen in the negative light some others might feel it is.

If you drive here and feel too upset all the time about other drivers, for the safety of everyone around you, stop driving. It's not worth having a stroke over, na'?

http://asian-links.com/larry/motor.html has some info and advice that some might find useful, especially bike riders.

Stay safe :o

You make some good points but the fact is the death toll on Thai roads is a national disgrace, over 13,000 per year if I remember correctly.Having read this thread I'm still not really certain why the situation is so dire or more precisely what weighting should be given to the various contributory factor.It may not be the most important factor but I suspect the poor police system has something to do with it.I personally though I think a very experienced driver don't dare venture as a driver outside Bangkok at Songkran