Water Filtration System Problem.

Richb2004v2

I have a problem with my water system. Feel free to move this post to the appropriate section.

Attached to the wall outside the house I have a small water filtration system. Its made by a British company called 'Portacell', but thats irrelevant. The external water system enters into the filter system and gives the option of tapping off after the filter or otherwise the water goes into a storage tank with a ball cock. My problem is that the water isn't getting to the tank. It hasn't been working properly for some time to be honest. After opening the two filters, for the first time in four years, I have found them to be full of sediment and filtrate which is probably stopping the water getting through. Now, the question is how to clean them as they are enclosed with only a ½ inch entry in the top and bottom. I can't even remove them as they are installed with glue and the usual blue plastic tube. I wonder if I should flush them through with something. Any idea or experience?

post-33112-1222407826_thumb.jpg

Now, the question is how to clean them as they are enclosed with only a ½ inch entry in the top and bottom. I can't even remove them as they are installed with glue and the usual blue plastic tube. I wonder if I should flush them through with something. Any idea or experience?

from what i gather is that the installer bullshÍtted you and did not fit any valves which would enable you to flush out the dirt quite easily by backwashing. get a knowledgeable plumber and have everything done properly. it does not have to be overkill like mine:

post-35218-1222408442_thumb.jpg

I've seen those before and I've always wondered how they clean them or change the filter. I was thinking of buying one but it looked to me like it would have to be replaced rather than changed.

it's neither rocket science nor does it cost a bundle of money to add a few valves and some pvc-piping to reverse the flow and flush out sediment and dirt. i don't know what filter media is used and whether one of the tanks contains resin grains to soften the water. the latter can only be regenerated by flushing with a salt solution (ordinary salt and water).

you don't have any diagram which you could post Rich?

That's right Naam. Normally the first cylinder is filled with activated charcoal & the second cylinder is filled with resin - with is reactivated with saturated salt water.

They were never designed to filter all the water used by a family for washing etc.

You back flush them, pump water into the filter through the outlet and allow the water out through the inlet,

I do not see this option with your picture but its east enough to arrange.

It does have the valves for a back flush. Thats what I have done in the end, whilst poking a stick into the gunk in the two filter units. I lot of crap came out, but I think a lot of the filtrate substance came with it. The system works now but I don't know for how long. I will try to find out about replacing the substance inside. Thanks for tha help everyone.