Dirty T Shirt On Young Girl

Ulysses G.

I often eat breakfast in a cheap Thai place with a very nice family, This morning their 12 year old girl was wearing a t-shirt that said, "Job Wanted, Many Positions Available" with pictures of stick figures doing the sex positions of the Karma Sutra. I tried to point out the pictures and tell them that a girl her age could get bothered while wearing such illustrations, but after a big family talk, they seemed to come to the conclusion that it was not hurting anything.

Would you have said anything? :o

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often eat breakfast in a cheap Thai place with a very nice family, This morning their 12 year old girl was wearing a t-shirt that said, "Job Wanted, Many Positions Available" with pictures of stick figures doing the sex positions of the Karma Sutra. I tried to point out the pictures and tell them that a girl her age could get bothered while wearing such illustrations, but after a big family talk, they seemed to come to the conclusion that it was not hurting anything.

I suggested to the manager of the gas station in Nong Hoy that the T-shirt of the young lad dispensing the gas wasn't very customer friendly and he seemed to take my advice.

It said        'F#ck you Nazi W#nkers'.

I saw a sweet young girl (10-11yrs old) ,with her well-dressed mother, in walking street wearing the same T-shirt!!! :D

In a similar vein, quite a few years ago, when stickers on car windscreens first became popular a strange one was the young guy who had a sticker that in large letters ran the full length of the back saying   

'LITTLE BASTARD"   

????  :D

Edited by KevinHUNT

We once went on a trip to Singapore. Many of the Thais with us were well to do. One women, who was a big business owner, was with her family that included a daughter studying in UK and a son studying in US. Her T-shirt said 'I'm not your F***ing baby!' without the censorship. We didn't bother to tell her, but I did wonder why her children hadn't pointed it out.

It makes me wonder about the meaning of the Chinese text often seem on the T-shirts of fashion conscious westerners.

Saw a middle aged housewife on a Dream in Phuket.

her black rock band T-shirt said "Eat, <deleted>,Die"

I'm guessing she didnt read english.

I used to have a T-shirt with a Japanese pictogram on the front.

I wonder what it said ?

Yes and originally penned by a farang no doubt,id be concerned if i saw a farang wearing it,.,. this is where it comes home to me that we are among a different culture and they dont think like us and probably wonder what all the fuss is about..we were north of chaing mai in a remote village riding off road bikes and there was a girl about 12 serving us with food, my friend asked the mother jokingly " can i marry your daughter " she replied, "yes, how much you give me " ?,. the difference was she wasnt joking ! :o

The prevalence of the f-word (amongst other such words), in films, particularly, and perhaps in casual usage, leads some Thais to believe it is non-offensive in English-speaking cultures. It's not, of course, and should be used judiciously. Many of the same Thais would never so freely use anything equivalent or similarly offensive in Thai ... it's just the use of another language to which one is not culturally connected that gives some licence and liberty (and says much about the general perception of our cultures). Same applies to expressing more positive feelings -- you'll find Asians saying "I love you" in English to their parents on the phone when this would almost never be verbalised in their first language --learnt from films.

Would I tell the parents of the kid wearing the T-shirt that this may not be in her best interests ? Perhaps not, in this instance, as the illustrations suggest there could be no misunderstanding about the intent of the English. I'd imagine they thought most people would assign no sinister meaning to such a shirt on a 12-year old child.

I did read the resurrected thread about prostitution and child prostitution. It might be a little inadvisable, but I think the parents who really do offer their kids for sale don't advertise them in this fashion.

My favourite was worn by a tourist minibus driver who quite fancied himself with the ladies and was always chatting up backpackers sometimes with a reasonable amount of success.

He undermined himself somewhat when he obliviously started working in a T-shirt declaring boldly, 'Sorry Girls, I'm Gay'

Look the Thais think it's cute or cool. They as often usual never think about the fact they may cause discomfort for some aliens. Not their problem. And it shouldn't be your problem either. Just ignore it. Let them deal with any possible consequences.

No nothing to do with you.

I'm always amused by the number of locals I see wearing a ganja leaf shirt. Do they really know what it is?? I'm pretty certain the 50+ year old Thai woman thought it was nothing more than a pretty design.

Edited by clokwise

The prevalence of the f-word (amongst other such words), in films, particularly, and perhaps in casual usage, leads some Thais to believe it is non-offensive in English-speaking cultures. It's not, of course, and should be used judiciously. Many of the same Thais would never so freely use anything equivalent or similarly offensive in Thai ... it's just the use of another language to which one is not culturally connected that gives some licence and liberty (and says much about the general perception of our cultures). Same applies to expressing more positive feelings -- you'll find Asians saying "I love you" in English to their parents on the phone when this would almost never be verbalised in their first language --learnt from films.

Would I tell the parents of the kid wearing the T-shirt that this may not be in her best interests ? Perhaps not, in this instance, as the illustrations suggest there could be no misunderstanding about the intent of the English. I'd imagine they thought most people would assign no sinister meaning to such a shirt on a 12-year old child.

I did read the resurrected thread about prostitution and child prostitution. It might be a little inadvisable, but I think the parents who really do offer their kids for sale don't advertise them in this fashion.

Bingo! nail on the head.

I'm always amused by the number of locals I see wearing a ganja leaf shirt. Do they really know what it is?? I'm pretty certain the 50+ year old Thai woman thought it was nothing more than a pretty design.

I would agree on a younger than 35 year old wearing it.

A 50+ year old Thai wearing one...well, they most likely had a stall outside a former US military base and was selling it. :o

I could understand if it was in english and they didnt understand, but the stick pictures well is a giveaway - don't need to know english realize its a rude t-shirt. :o

yep....its in the hands of the parents, not your problem UG.

However I saw someone wearing a T shirt that said "Jesus was a C**t" in Bangkok. But I suppose the guy wearing it did not have a clue what it meant :D

Someone who understands English probably gave it to him and told him it said "Liverpool are great"

your mate asked a 12 year olds mother if he could marry her...... Sicko, should've been serverely beaten by her father....

Those t's are awesome...

We all know what should have happened and if you read it again you will see he said it in jest, however the mother was not joking, your beating should be on the parents no ?,. :o ...remember this is thailand,.

I was stranded in a rural town in Nicaragua several years ago, and the only show in town was a carnival. Carny workers are the same from Winnipeg to western Argentina. This big, strong, 21-year old guy working one of the stalls wore a black t-shirt that said, uncensored, "DON;T SAY ANYTHING. JUST <deleted> ME." I said nothing.

Say nothing.

This big, strong, 21-year old guy working one of the stalls wore a black t-shirt that said, uncensored, "DON;T SAY ANYTHING. JUST <deleted> ME." I said nothing.

Say nothing.

Are you SURE ? :o

Just guessing at 21 were we ?

My favourite was worn by a tourist minibus driver who quite fancied himself with the ladies and was always chatting up backpackers sometimes with a reasonable amount of success.

He undermined himself somewhat when he obliviously started working in a T-shirt declaring boldly, 'Sorry Girls, I'm Gay'

:o

Yes, I think most know exactly what it is, even those over 75. It's been around for a very long time.