Thailand To Issue New Immigration Card

Thailand to issue new immigration card

BANGKOK: -- A new immigration card will be introduced for use by those going in and out of Thailand by the end of this year, said Immigration Police chief Pol. Lt-Gen. Chatchawan Suksomchit.

Holders of the Immigration Card will include those who travel in and out of the country three to five times in a year, regardless of their nationality.

The Immigration Card holders, Thai and foreign alike, will bypass normal procedures of the Immigration Police which include scanning for criminal suspects or those on the police and immigration Watch List.

Instead, the Immigration Card holders will have the privileges to go through fast passage at airports, the Immigration Police chief said.

The Immigration Card, which will be issued to tourists and others by the end of this year, marking the advent of a fresh tourist season, was part of the efforts to promote tourism and investment in the country.

Meanwhile, the Immigration Police will open Call Centre 1178 early next year to provide tourism-related information in eight languages. Besides, the Immigration Police will take part in the crackdown on the exploitation of foreign labour and flesh trade throughout the country.

-- TNA 2008-10-02

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At last a practical decision that (could) make sense !

But now we need some details :

-procedure to obtain this card

-where are the " fast passage at airports" ? How many ? My point : if too many holders for too few passages, then... back to square one. :o

-3 to 5 times, it's an example, or a condition (5 maxi) ?

-can holder of business visa can obtain such card ?

etc. etc.

As usual, too much "fog". Let's hope it's not vaporware.

I cany see a process where the holder of the passpot is not verified as the holder, in UK we have Iris which enable you to pass through once it sees your eyes.

If they gave them cards out and never verified who the passport holder was it would end up like UK where anyone gets in without documentation, unless they chipped the cards.

Sounds a good idea but need to see the process.

The Immigration Card, which will be issued to tourists and others by the end of this year, marking the advent of a fresh tourist season, was part of the efforts to promote tourism and investment in the country.

How many genuine tourists come and go more than once, maybe twice in a year?????????

Good for the others, if it ever happens.

hmmm..

The purpose of this is to accomodate farang?

I don't recall spending a lot of time at Thai Immigrations...

This doesn't make sense to me... I think missing some imformation.

It normally takes me about 1 - 2 Hours to get through immigration! I would be really interested in this card! but would like alot more info about it.

If I get off a 747 from Europe it takes about 40 minutes tops to clear customs.

Most of that waiting in line. Cutting that to 15 minutes seems worth it.

3-4 times a year pretty much includes ALL visa runners on any day of the month.

Sounds like a new minister telling an underling to make a move.

Or an underling trying to impress some new overlord,

by APPEARING to do something. He said it, he must be active!

Good, now go back to sleep.

If this works as well as it does in HK (for residents) or Dubai (for anyone) then it will be great.

It will double the life of my passport for a start.

By taking out frequent travellers from the queue, it should benefit everyone; or alternatively, give them a chance to reduce the number of immigration officers.

I imagine it will use finger prints, same as HK and Dubai (probably the whole of UAE but I never been to anywhere else)

SC

hmmm..

The purpose of this is to accomodate farang?

I don't recall spending a lot of time at Thai Immigrations...

This doesn't make sense to me... I think missing some imformation.

LOL Maybe the remaining info is: It will only cost Bt 5000.00 a year for each "farang." :o

sounds good if it actually flies... :o

Very like the Hong Kong Travel Pass program. This lasts for two years, costs HK$200 and requires an invite letter from a HK company as it is designed for biz visitors. Main benefit is that you can use HK Resident counters each way at Immigration.

Great! I think? won't they lose a lot of money though?

I Have a better idea to attract Foreign investors and tourists.

How about this?

1. Foreign owned companies pay the same Tax as Thai owned companies :o

2. Get rid of the double pricing system i.e. tourist pay the same price as Thai :D

Just 2 small ideas which could work I think?

do not see really the use... last time comming from singapore was almost a walk trough :o

and thaivisa server soaring ? took like 1 min or more to show the page

I don't really see the need either, I come through 4-5 times year and not much of a wait and if I'm with my wife (sometimes) I go through the Thai lane with her. :D