Taxi Strike At Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about getting the raillink to the airport, not the BTS!

I wish you good luck, taxi for you!

Err, most of us will have to get the BTS in order to get to the airport rail-link . . . . .

And good luck with that anyway. It's all well and good to talk about this mythical rail-link, but Suvarnabhumi airport opened (just over!) 2 years ago, and they are still building the stations and track for the rail-link.

So you get your taxi to the rail-link and wait for a train to take you to the airport. Me? I'll drive there. See who gets there first.

It started out pretty good when the airport first opened. Now it has deteriated rapidly. Starting to get back to the days of Don Muang with nothing but vulters praying on passengers. It is such an awful first impression for first time visitors to the country. Don't the authorites realize the damage it cost's the country in the long run? I hate these sharks preying on me when I arrive.

Never happens in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. Bangkok airport is more like something out of a bad movie.

Terrible!

Started out pretty good??

you got to be joking

I came in two times in the first few months and it was organized crime. I and friends had to go to depatures level to get hold of taxis at reasonable prices.

The taxi desk was specifying fares totally above what it should have been and while i was at the desk they were telling incoming tourists the taxis had to take a different route because of some problems.

I know several people had the same problem.

These things do get reported.

A few months later the "quoted" fares were at about the right level.

This is a mafia, we know that. Obviously somebody is trying to step on them, and the normal response is to go screw people up to prove a point and get compromise.

jojo

... Never happens in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. Bangkok airport is more like something out of a bad movie.

Terrible!

you are joking right?? KL is an absolut nightmare for taxi scammers. Have you ever been to KL?. Give me BKK taxis over KL anyday...

Not correct. I travel Phuket to LCCT (KL low cost terminal) almost weekly. Turn right out of the arrivals hall, buy taxi coupon at desk. If you have several people or big bags, they will insist on a larger 'premium' taxi, otherwise a standard 'budget' taxi is fine. MYR 60-odd to downtown KL. Ho hassle, driver's tricks, or tip expected.

KLIA, the main international terminal does sometimes have problems, true. The answer is to ignore all touts and buy direct from the airport counter. The prices are fixed, and reasonable.

Some 300 taxi drivers block road to Suvarnabhumi Airport

SUVARNABHUMI: -- Some 300 taxi drivers block roads to Suvarnbhumi Airport on Thursday to protest police who they said arrested them for not using meters when being hired to go out of Bangkok.

The blockage of the roads to arrival and departure lounges which are on the second and fourth floors respectively forced many people both Thais and foreigners to get off their vehicles and walked to the lounges.

-- The Nation 2008--0-02

hulala.....anybody or organization can go on strike or demonstration in Thailand and yet go scoot free. just wonder whats next?? truly another sad day for Bangkok or Thailand's image.

Is there anyone on the ground at "Swampy" that can advise if taxi's are available?

I am going to do my own little protest and take the bus to Pattaya via Mochit bus station instead of a taxi....just wondering if I will be able to get a taxi to the bus station or shall I prepare for a motorbike ride. :o

I will arrive about 12.00 PM Saturday.

Tanks alot.

... Never happens in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. Bangkok airport is more like something out of a bad movie.

Terrible!

you are joking right?? KL is an absolut nightmare for taxi scammers. Have you ever been to KL?. Give me BKK taxis over KL anyday...

Not correct. I travel Phuket to LCCT (KL low cost terminal) almost weekly. Turn right out of the arrivals hall, buy taxi coupon at desk. If you have several people or big bags, they will insist on a larger 'premium' taxi, otherwise a standard 'budget' taxi is fine. MYR 60-odd to downtown KL. Ho hassle, driver's tricks, or tip expected.

KLIA, the main international terminal does sometimes have problems, true. The answer is to ignore all touts and buy direct from the airport counter. The prices are fixed, and reasonable.

in all fairness, alls well in both the KL airports but not in KL town, where most taxis wont turn on the meter. Singaporeans are obedient, meters all the way, otherwise they will be fined, suspended and/or put in jail.

Does anyone know a phone number to complain about taxi

Sometimes they get pretty nasty

There is a number... I don't have it at the moment my GF is now asleep as I write this... My GF tried to call it a couple of weeks ago after we endured an abusive driver who wanted to give us the run-around and ride-around... We insisted on going the way WE wanted and he complied... Fortunately, I also speak very good Thai... He got the message fast...

Unfortunately, the taxi complaint number seemed to be out of service at the time we tried to call... TIT -- LOS 555

For the newbies is is worth knowing how to say in Thai:

Turn on the meter = "Boedt meet na krab!"

If the driver protests, speak a bit louder:

BOEDT MEET NA KRAB! = Turn on the meter!

If the driver still seems thick you can remind him (bad taxi drivers always seem to be him, eh?) that it is Thai Law:

BEN GOTMAI NA KRAB! = It is the law!

If the driver still wants to play games insist on getting out and getting another taxi -- that is assuming you have you bag with you and it is not in the trunk of the taxi... Otherwise you maybe stuck with a shouting driver who can hold your bag ransome... ;-)

Well worth studying some Thai eh? Even for the case of good communication with taxi drivers... 80 - 90% of them are very good but a few of them are downright dangerous...

Enjoy your stay in LOS...

:o

Terrible!

in all fairness, alls well in both the KL airports but not in KL town, where most taxis wont turn on the meter. Singaporeans are obedient, meters all the way, otherwise they will be fined, suspended and/or put in jail.

Also my experience. I used many taxis in KL last week and in Singapore during the F1 last weekend. I don't blame the KL drivers for refusing to use the meter. When the traffic is jammed (ie often!) the metered fare is not economic for them, especially considering the recently-increased cost of fuel. A negotiated price is usually fair. If not, of course just get out. Same everywhere.

A small minority of KL taxis are filthy and stink though, I just get out of them too.

Singapore is a delight: taxis everywhere, they can be called by phone and arrive at the right place and on time, they have satnav, and the fares are fixed and very reasonable. I drove to Singapore but didn't use the car once, the taxis were just so convenient.

Making life hel_l for travellers is not the way to do things.

What will be happening if, or when, the rail link will be opened?

Because be certain that lots of passemgers will choose for this transport, and forget about taxi's

It happened in very many airports in the world.

Desperate measures, because they know their time will soon be up.

As soon as the rail link is finished, taxis be damned. :o

are you talking about the rail link from the airport to bangkok centre? the one that should have taken 2 years to build, but is still not completed in its 4th year?!! hehe!!

actually,, when on earth is it actually ever gonna open? I watch them building,, and they are plodding along at the speed of saliva dribbling down a babys chin!!

Edited by easybullet3

After numerous visits each year the past 16 years as a tourist who want nothing more (or less) than having a good time and party, I am seriously considering to skip Thailand and look out for a more covenient place to spend my Euros. If it is not the BIB who wants every visitor to get to bed by 2.00am, then it will be one or another strike at the touristic airports. If no strike then there's always one or another anniversary or election that will fall into our hard earned holiday to keep visitors dry when they just want to have a beer at night.

No thanks...

Bali and Philippines - I will be back soon !

if you are going to bangkok there are 4 different airport express buses from level 1 for 150 baht

why bother with these overcharging taxi drivers

All my flights have come in just after midnight. There are hundreds of ppl in arrivals at this time. I'm guessing most ppl departing from the US east coast to midwest and maybe more will be arriving AFTER busses stop running. That being said, I got a low cost of 220 baht (when Thai gf was with me, she told me to tip him 80) and 320 with tolls. Doubt we needed to take the expressway after midnight tho. I'd like to see the busses run til 1 AM.

It's about time. If your visiting LOS they try to rip you off no matter where your going. For example from Grace Hotel (soi4) to Dream Hotel(soi15) they want 300 bht but if your Thai they charge 60 bht for a trip from Cowboy to Nana. Who's being played for a sucker there? I hope they inforce the laws and regulations for them all.

Just one question:

The average rate to Pattaya is 1500 Baht (without turning on the meter).

Does anybody know how much the meter rate wud be ?

I jumped into a Taxi about three weeks ago and went to Jomtein which is just past Pattaya.

The Meter was on and it cost me 975 Baht plus 100 baht for going on the motorways. Seeing how most Taxi's run on gas 1500 Baht is expensive. AOT Limo's wanted 2600 Baht so I kindly declined. My advice is Get them to turn the meters on or get out and get another that will.

Not difficult...In the future...just take a short taxi trip, if needed, either to the nearest airport rail line station or nearest BTS station...then you're good to go from there... no dragging luggage around...

Hard to say this much in advance...but going taxi direct to the nearest airport rail line station probably will be better....because most BTS stations and gates are not particularly friendly for folks carrying either large suitcases or a lot of them... But, I'm assuming the airport line will be set up to better accommodate luggage...since that's its purpose....whereas BTS really is more for inner city commuting.

Ease up on logical thinking. Slap yourself, and remember where you are.

Update:

We have reports that the Taxi strike is still affecting depatures and arrivals at Suvarnabhumi, with hundreds of Taxis blocking the Airport.

Stand by for more info.

They tried this in Phnom Penh, after the Tanks ran over about a dozen or so taxi's, the rest scampered like roaches in the kitchen when the light was turned on...................

Reminds me of a few years ago when i arrived in Bangkok after a 25 hour flight and was pretty tired but still not at my destination.

I got a taxi to the northern bus station near Chat t Chat and was going to get a 7 hour bus ride (after waiting an hour or two for a bus with all my gear)

The bus driver asked me where my final destination was. I told him Chaiyaphum and he said he'd take me there for 3,000 baht. I said, no way, i'll just take the bus. He said, how about 2,800 and the negotiations were on.

We finally agreed on 2500 baht and were off.

About 5 hours later (he left the meter running anyway) we got to my home up in Chaiyaphum and the meter read 3,000 baht.

He said, it was further than i thought and I still have to return to Bangkok so, could you please pay me the 3,000 baht?

I argued a little bit but saw it from his point of view and ended up giving him the 3,000 baht meter price.

How comes they always seem to win?

I hate to go against the grain here but I reckon the fares are quite reasonable. I travel to and from the airport to BKK at least 3 times every year. To go a similar distance in Australia for example would cost around Bt1500. So even if the unwary tourist did get charged Bt500/600 they are still getting a cheap fare compared to back home. This comparison would apply in most western countries. I always ask about the meter before I get in the front seat or put my bags in the back. No meter no fare.

99% of the Bangkok taxis are efficient, honest and kind (some times too kind: they want to chat friendly even when we are not in the mood). Their fares are very low and they deserve tips.

Edited by geovalin

99% of the Bangkok taxis are efficient, honest and kind (some times too kind: they want to chat friendly even when we are not in the mood). Their fares are very low and they deserve tips.

I'd put that closer to 95%, but yeah in general they are good

except when shifts change and they don't want to take you anywhere

but short run in THEIR direction.