Japanese Grand Prix @ Fuji

Oh Dear, oh dear oh dear,

Massa doesn't give in to Hamilton's bullying tactics (he's known for that you know) and all of a sudden he's the bad guy.

Who was bullying who? Hamilton passed Massa into the corner, and then Massa cut the next turn and drove into the side of Hamilton. I'm confused...

And what about Hamilton's first corner, where he deliberately run wide by breaking way too late thus forcing the Ferrari of Kimi off track in order to avoid a collision. In the same manoeuvre he also forced other cars off the track, such as Massa and even Heiko. And please don't tell me this was a normal race accident. LS is not a rookie anymore, he knows the corner, the car. the breaking points and that his car's tires are cold. He took a deliberate decision to kick off Kimi, who had a better start.

OK, he got punished for that and PM got punished for his risky behavior. Nobody should complain. But the other drivers are getting fed up with LH driving style.

We might argue about this kind of penalty inflicted by the marshals, and I too believe this practice has gone too far. For heaven's sake let these guys race, Formula 1 is not an after-noon tea party. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. But why complaining that there is no real fighting in Formula 1 and no overtaking, but as soon as the guys do fight, they get punished.

I repeat that Max Mosley is pure poison for Formula 1; we really should get rid of this guy.

I agree with most of what you are saying, although i think you are completely wrong when you say that Hamilton deliberately decided to take Kimi off. He made the mistake of taking the first corner too fast and because of this had no other choice but to run wide. Incidently, he was by no means the only one to do so, although he was alone punished.

Other drivers getting fed up with LH driving style? I think he may at times be unnecessarily aggressive, and this isn't winning him any friends, but the main reason for others to dislike him is simply because he is faster than them.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2009 French GP canncelled, way to go i reckon, its getting far to polictical and exspenive, and a night race, not making use of our planets natural resources, ie,sun, however much did that cost,all the stand-by generators and cabling, extra staff needed to man all this ect,

F1 has shot itself in the foot and needs a huge re-think before it can carry on!

Massa doesn't give in to Hamilton's bullying tactics (he's known for that you know) and all of a sudden he's the bad guy.

Who was bullying who? Hamilton passed Massa into the corner, and then Massa cut the next turn and drove into the side of Hamilton. I'm confused...

Dear Rivalex,

You're clearly a Hamilton fan, and clearly I'm not.

Here's an article from the espnstar website, and if anything, their F1 program should be named "The I love Hamilton and McLaren Show", especially Steve Slater.

Also for me it's drivers, spectators, mechanics etc. safety that is paramount and clearly young Lewis doesn't give a sh.t about that.

Sebastian Vettel is in my book a far more promising young driver in view of the fact that he has to do it with an inferior car to McLaren's.

Anyway you have your opinion and I have mine so let's agree to disagree.

cheers

http://www.espnstar.com/home/news/detail/i...lane-for-Lewis/

onzestan

Dear Rivalex,

You're clearly a Hamilton fan, and clearly I'm not.

Here's an article from the espnstar website, and if anything, their F1 program should be named "The I love Hamilton and McLaren Show", especially Steve Slater.

Also for me it's drivers, spectators, mechanics etc. safety that is paramount and clearly young Lewis doesn't give a sh.t about that.

Sebastian Vettel is in my book a far more promising young driver in view of the fact that he has to do it with an inferior car to McLaren's.

Anyway you have your opinion and I have mine so let's agree to disagree.

cheers

http://www.espnstar.com/home/news/detail/i...lane-for-Lewis/

onzestan

Dear Onzestan,

Thanks for your comments. You are right. I am a Hamilton fan. I've been following F1 with a passion since i was very small. I've always supported drivers who are fast and exciting. Mechanical ones that just get the job done without taking any risks not so much.

Sport is about entertainment and i think we should applaud sports people who do the entertaining. Senna was a hero for me for all those reasons. I didn't care that he was Brazilian, just that he was the best. Now it so happens that the best driver is British. Some will say i support him just because he's British but that's not so. I didn't support Hill because although he was British, he didn't excite and wasn't a great driver, despite winning the Championship.

Now for you to say that you feel uncomfortable with Hamilton's style i could understand. I too feel he could do with calming down his driving at times. But for you to argue that he isn't the best driver out there right now, and that Vettel has more promise, shows to me that you have some other agenda here or reason to be anti Hamilton, because all the evidence is out there on the track for everyone to see. Perhaps your nationality is effecting your opinion?

Anyway, i certainly have no interest or desire to try and persuade you or anyone else to become a fan of Hamilton's. If you don't like him and don't rate him that's fine. I do think though the history of time will show you are wrong. Time will tell.

Edited by rixalex

2009 French GP canncelled, way to go i reckon, its getting far to polictical and exspenive, and a night race, not making use of our planets natural resources, ie,sun, however much did that cost,all the stand-by generators and cabling, extra staff needed to man all this ect,

F1 has shot itself in the foot and needs a huge re-think before it can carry on!

The night race provided a new type of spectacle, and added to the excitement. If you want to go down the road of complaining about all the money and resources which were expended, you might just as well argue for there to be no F1.

The problem i had with Singapore wasn't to do with it being at night, but that as with the other new street circuit in Valencia, over-taking was ridiculously limited. Circuits that don't allow over-taking is not the way to go.

Now for you to say that you feel uncomfortable with Hamilton's style i could understand. I too feel he could do with calming down his driving at times. But for you to argue that he isn't the best driver out there right now, and that Vettel has more promise, shows to me that you have some other agenda here or reason to be anti Hamilton, because all the evidence is out there on the track for everyone to see. Perhaps your nationality is effecting your opinion?

Anyway, i certainly have no interest or desire to try and persuade you or anyone else to become a fan of Hamilton's. If you don't like him and don't rate him that's fine. I do think though the history of time will show you are wrong. Time will tell.

Now that's not a nice thing to say isn't it.

No I'm not German and a quick look at my profile would have told you that.

The fact is that I appreciate young drivers showing their qualities with inferior material, as opposed to a young driver that has been the recipient of superior cars, infrastructure etc, and then starts bullying his way to the top.

As I said before this is my personal opinion, and as much as you're a Hamilton fan you cannot deny me that.

no malice intended

cheers

onzestan

Now that's not a nice thing to say isn't it.

No I'm not German and a quick look at my profile would have told you that.

The fact is that I appreciate young drivers showing their qualities with inferior material, as opposed to a young driver that has been the recipient of superior cars, infrastructure etc, and then starts bullying his way to the top.

As I said before this is my personal opinion, and as much as you're a Hamilton fan you cannot deny me that.

no malice intended

cheers

onzestan

No malice taken or given. :o

You are right that Hamilton has the benefit of a good car, but then so does Heikki. Are you saying that to be a good driver or one that you support, they have to drive a crap car?

As for your nationality, i wouldn't have dared suggested you were German! (hope Naam's not about! :D ).

To me Flanders is a character from Simpsons, but it seems like it's the place you call home. Joking aside, my point is you are a European. I might be completely wrong on this, please tell me if i am, but it does seem to me that Europeans from outside of Britain do tend to stick together somewhat. For example, Italians would much rather see someone like Alonso win than Hamilton. Perhaps it's also true that say Austrians would prefer some like Vettel to win than Hamilton. Vettel isn't Austrian but he speaks their language and maybe they can relate to him more.

Now as i said, for me i've always supported the best drivers regardless of their background, and if you tell me that Hamilton being British in no way affects your opinion of him then i'll believe you.

And i'll believe you even more if you can tell me that you also didn't like Senna or Schumacher. Both of these drivers bullied more than any other, but they did so when they were big names and as such were able to get away with it. Hamilton however is young and still has to prove himself. That's why in my opinion, he is getting the flack that Senna and Schumacher never had to deal with. My guess is though that you feel differently about these drivers. Please tell me i'm wrong and i'll apologise profusely!

Alonso is trying to help Renault with that statement

There's only one person in this world that Alonso truly wants to help.

Correct the same philosophy as the other nineteen drivers have.

Not all of them have such big and fragile egos though.

Please tell me i'm wrong and i'll apologise profusely!

You are wrong.

I thought I made it clear that I don't like bullies be it in F1 or in any other sport or walk of life.

To suggest that I don't like him because he's British is dam_n right insulting!

cheers

onzestan

Please tell me i'm wrong and i'll apologise profusely!

You are wrong.

I thought I made it clear that I don't like bullies be it in F1 or in any other sport or walk of life.

To suggest that I don't like him because he's British is dam_n right insulting!

cheers

onzestan

Yes, you made it clear you don't like bullies, but you still haven't given your opinion on Senna or Schumacher. The bulliest of them all but what would the sport have been without them?

Yes, you made it clear you don't like bullies, but you still haven't given your opinion on Senna or Schumacher. The bulliest of them all but what would the sport have been without them?

This is my last post on this topic.

What I think about Senna and Schumacher has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

Lewis Hamilton is a bully that doesn't give a dam_n about the safety of himself and others and is an accident waiting to happen.

A driver that goes on a rampage because a red car had the audacity to pass him in the Japanese GP is not worthy of a seat in a F1 car as far as I'm concerned.

And also let's not forget last year when McLaren was caught with their pants down cheating and lying.

And the truth came out (partialy) only after Hamilton and Alonso were given immunity.

Even if they haven't used the information and the technology they stole (as they claim - again a lie), it's a very big advantage to know what your opponents are doing.

Now I've said it! Case closed.

onzestan

Senna introduced a style of driving to F1 that hadn't been seen before and changed the face of F1 forever (in my opinion for the worse). Intimidation, chopping, and driving at and into your opponent was all part of this. To their everlasting shame, the sport's governing body just stood by and let it happen. Had Senna tried these tactics a decade earlier he would have died on the track much sooner and probably taken other driver's with him.

After Senna's death, Shumacher used much the same tactics to great effect, and was only latterly half-heartedly brought to account.

Hamilton's style is much like Senna's as we saw at the first turn in Fuji, where he refused to cede the corner (won by Raikkonnen) and is prepared to put other drivers at risk/off the track by attempting a clearly impossible and dangerous overtaking manouevre.

His move on Raikonnen at Spa was similarly overly aggressive and against the spirit of the sport. Some suggest he was pushed off the track at the bus stop chicane, fact was he had lost the corner and was only able to continue his attempt to round the outside because he knew he would use the run-off area and could subsequently cut the chicane. Had there been a barrier on the ouside to the corner he would have been forced to back off. That he momentarily let Kimi back ahead, yet maintained his traction advantage in order to immediately re-take the position show's a level of cynicism on his part.

The authorities now seem willing to some degree, and somewhat belatedly, to sanction the drivers who adopt these tactics. If these 'dirty' driving tactics could be reduced, this has to be a good thing for the sport.

Alonso is trying to help Renault with that statement

There's only one person in this world that Alonso truly wants to help.

Correct the same philosophy as the other nineteen drivers have.

Not all of them have such big and fragile egos though.

About five so that leaves fourteen that wish they did.

Senna introduced a style of driving to F1 that hadn't been seen before and changed the face of F1 forever (in my opinion for the worse). Intimidation, chopping, and driving at and into your opponent was all part of this. To their everlasting shame, the sport's governing body just stood by and let it happen. Had Senna tried these tactics a decade earlier he would have died on the track much sooner and probably taken other driver's with him.

After Senna's death, Shumacher used much the same tactics to great effect, and was only latterly half-heartedly brought to account.

Hamilton's style is much like Senna's as we saw at the first turn in Fuji, where he refused to cede the corner (won by Raikkonnen) and is prepared to put other drivers at risk/off the track by attempting a clearly impossible and dangerous overtaking manouevre.

His move on Raikonnen at Spa was similarly overly aggressive and against the spirit of the sport. Some suggest he was pushed off the track at the bus stop chicane, fact was he had lost the corner and was only able to continue his attempt to round the outside because he knew he would use the run-off area and could subsequently cut the chicane. Had there been a barrier on the ouside to the corner he would have been forced to back off. That he momentarily let Kimi back ahead, yet maintained his traction advantage in order to immediately re-take the position show's a level of cynicism on his part.

The authorities now seem willing to some degree, and somewhat belatedly, to sanction the drivers who adopt these tactics. If these 'dirty' driving tactics could be reduced, this has to be a good thing for the sport.

Although i fundamentally disagree with what you say, you make your points well.

What you see as being dirty and dangerous driving, i see as more on the limit and audacious, both things i think the sport needs.

Anyway, with regards to the authorities now taking action, putting aside for the moment whether or not you think that's a good thing, they have to apply those rules throughout the field. All their focus is on the front of the field and this is where the majority of the decisions they have made this year have been concerning. The truth is though that throughout the course of a race, up and down the field, there are racing incidents going on, but no attention is paid to them.

This is my last post on this topic.

What I think about Senna and Schumacher has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

Lewis Hamilton is a bully that doesn't give a dam_n about the safety of himself and others and is an accident waiting to happen.

A driver that goes on a rampage because a red car had the audacity to pass him in the Japanese GP is not worthy of a seat in a F1 car as far as I'm concerned.

And also let's not forget last year when McLaren was caught with their pants down cheating and lying.

And the truth came out (partialy) only after Hamilton and Alonso were given immunity.

Even if they haven't used the information and the technology they stole (as they claim - again a lie), it's a very big advantage to know what your opponents are doing.

Now I've said it! Case closed.

onzestan

Sorry that you are drawing a line under this discussion Onzestan as i was enjoying the banter.

What you think about Senna and Schumacher is very pertinent to this discussion about drivers who bully and your dislike for Hamilton. I maintain that i think there's something more as to why you feel the way you do about him, but had you come out and said that you didn't admire, like or support Senna or Schumacher either, it would have proved my suspicions incorrect and my apology would have been forth-coming. That you don't seem prepared to comment on these drivers, rather suggests i was right in my thinking. In other words, it was ok for them bully, but it's not ok for Hamilton.

I'm fine with 'on the limit and audacious' and the last true great, Gilles Villeneuve had both in spades without being dirty or dangerous to others, in a much more dangerous yet exciting era.

I have a problem with 'over the limit' and forcing other drivers to accommodate you with avoiding action and being run off the track.

Sorry that you are drawing a line under this discussion Onzestan as i was enjoying the banter.

What you think about Senna and Schumacher is very pertinent to this discussion about drivers who bully and your dislike for Hamilton. I maintain that i think there's something more as to why you feel the way you do about him, but had you come out and said that you didn't admire, like or support Senna or Schumacher either, it would have proved my suspicions incorrect and my apology would have been forth-coming. That you don't seem prepared to comment on these drivers, rather suggests i was right in my thinking. In other words, it was ok for them bully, but it's not ok for Hamilton.

OK I'll bite.

I don't know much about Senna because at that time I was to busy working and studying to have time for F1.

Schumacher is to be admired for the way he brought Ferrari back from a deep slump.

Schumacher was indeed a bully and I did not admire him for that, but it also has to be mentioned that he was a bully in a calculating way.

As to where the sport would be without Senna or Schumacher is something we will never know, most probably some other drivers would have come to the forefront.

Anyway it is not my intention to offend you regarding Lewis Hamilton, but to close your eyes for all his shortcomings is a bit over the top I believe, and you have others here on this forum that think exactly like I do.

Furthermore in view of what happened last season it's no surprise to me that many have a bit of antipathy against everything McLaren.

onzestan

I'm fine with 'on the limit and audacious' and the last true great, Gilles Villeneuve had both in spades without being dirty or dangerous to others, in a much more dangerous yet exciting era.

I have a problem with 'over the limit' and forcing other drivers to accommodate you with avoiding action and being run off the track.

Sadly he was before my time. Would like to have seen him race that's for sure.

Interestingly, his son Jacque came out today and spoke in defence of the title challengers. He thinks the authorities are giving out penalties too liberally. Once they started, they didn't know when to stop kind of thing.

I completely agree.

Schumacher is to be admired for the way he brought Ferrari back from a deep slump.

Schumacher was indeed a bully and I did not admire him for that, but it also has to be mentioned that he was a bully in a calculating way.

Reading through all that, i would say that you were a Schumacher fan, although perhaps not too keen to admit it. Bullys are ok if they are calculating it seems. My case rests.

Reading through all that, i would say that you were a Schumacher fan, although perhaps not too keen to admit it. Bullys are ok if they are calculating it seems. My case rests.

I would like to remind you that English is not my first language and that I sometimes have difficulty expressing myself in a way that is completely understandable.

I was NOT a Schumacher fan, in fact I'm not a fan of any particular driver and it seems that helps me to to be more dispassionate than you seem to be.

Please discontinue to put words in my mouth that I didn't say.

onzestan

I would like to remind you that English is not my first language and that I sometimes have difficulty expressing myself in a way that is completely understandable.

I was NOT a Schumacher fan, in fact I'm not a fan of any particular driver and it seems that helps me to to be more dispassionate than you seem to be.

Please discontinue to put words in my mouth that I didn't say.

onzestan

I think you express yourself very well.

Sorry to offend. Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to make sense of it.

Interestingly, his son Jacque came out today and spoke in defence of the title challengers. He thinks the authorities are giving out penalties too liberally. Once they started, they didn't know when to stop kind of thing.

I completely agree.

mmm, so Hamilton's move into Turn 1 at Fuji and Massa's subsequent attempted pass on Hamilton deserved no censure in your view then, it all good clean fun ?

I completely agree.

mmm, so Hamilton's move into Turn 1 at Fuji and Massa's subsequent attempted pass on Hamilton deserved no censure in your view then, it all good clean fun ?

I think if someone deliberately tries to take another driver out, they should be penalised. If however they make a mistake of entering a corner with too much speed, all they are guilty of is going past the limits of the car - physics will take care of penalising them without steward's inquiries. It's unfortunate if as a consequence they take another driver out, but it's just part of racing. Providing their was no malice or intention to harm, i see no problem. A driver who is continually reckless won't last, as they'll be out of a seat.

When Raikkonen took out that Force India car in Monaco, what happened then?

If you want to start penalising drivers for pushing the cars hard, why don't we just be done with it and change the name from "Formula One" to "Sunday Afternoon Pootle"?

Raikonnen running into the back of Sutil at a relatively low speed in the wet was clearly a racing incident and one for which Raikonnen was highly apologetic for spoiling Sutil's race.

It bears no comparison to Hamilton's move into Turn 1 at Fuji which could have caused a major pile up if others had not taken avoiding action in running off the track. Hamilton remains unapologetic and still thinks he did nothing wrong even though, at the very least, he wrecked Raikonnen's chance of victory !

You say "It's unfortunate if as a consequence they take another driver out, but it's just part of racing" I fundamentally disagree with this but it's exactly the philosophy embraced by Senna, Shumacher, Hamilton et al.

Edited by b19bry

I think your rose tinted glasses are blurring the fact that at times Gilles Villeneuve was dangerous to others both drivers and spectators, Dutch GP draging a almost severed rear wheel assembly around at racing speed, British GP attempting to "fly" through the chicane with disaterous results,French GP totally overdriving the car into the side of competitor to secure 2nd(ok i know it made good TV) Japanese GP nosediving the car into a restricted area which unfortuently killed unautherised spectators. Ultimatly this red mist driving killed him when he would not back off and tried to go through a gap that wasn't there.

I think your rose tinted glasses are blurring the fact that at times Gilles Villeneuve was dangerous to others both drivers and spectators,

Absolutely not at all, I saw him race personally many times and what you claim is untrue.

Dutch GP draging a almost severed rear wheel assembly around at racing speed,

Certainly not racing speed or anywhere near.

British GP attempting to "fly" through the chicane with disaterous results,

For himself agreed

French GP totally overdriving the car into the side of competitor to secure 2nd(ok i know it made good TV)

Arnoux complemented Villeneuve on an exciting yet clean fight as I recall.

Japanese GP nosediving the car into a restricted area which unfortuently killed unautherised spectators.

An unfortunate accident which were much more prevalent in the late 70's but as you indicate the spectators were in an unauthorised (unsafe) area.

Ultimatly this red mist driving killed him when he would not back off and tried to go through a gap that wasn't there.

Ulitmately what killed him was the stupid rules regarding qualifiying tyres and what he saw as the treacherous actions of Pironi from the previous race along with his attempt to win pole at all costs with a last ditch effort.

Raikonnen running into the back of Sutil at a relatively low speed in the wet was clearly a racing incident and one for which Raikonnen was highly apologetic for spoiling Sutil's race.

It bears no comparison to Hamilton's move into Turn 1 at Fuji which could have caused a major pile up if others had not taken avoiding action in running off the track. Hamilton remains unapologetic and still thinks he did nothing wrong even though, at the very least, he wrecked Raikonnen's chance of victory !

How can you say he thinks he did nothing wrong? He accepted that he made a mistake.

No he didn't apologise but he didn't actually take anyone out. Besides, as i've said before, he was one of many who took that corner too fast and ran wide.

You are starting to deal in ifs and maybes. "If others hadn't taken avoiding action there would have been a major pile up" ???

Others did take avoiding action. You can't start penalising people for what may or might happen, if something else happens. That's ridiculous

Raikkonen drove to fast for the conditions in Monaco, and by so doing robbed someone of an almost certain podium position. He received no penalty for doing so. But that's fine by you because he apologised and you deem it to be just an innocent racing incident. Funny that.

How can you say he thinks he did nothing wrong? He accepted that he made a mistake.

But only in terms of hurting his chances for points

No he didn't apologise but he didn't actually take anyone out. Besides, as i've said before, he was one of many who took that corner too fast and ran wide.

Only Hamilton ran way too hot into turn 1 forcing others off the track.

You are starting to deal in ifs and maybes. "If others hadn't taken avoiding action there would have been a major pile up" ???

Others did take avoiding action. You can't start penalising people for what may or might happen, if something else happens. That's ridiculous

mmm, so let's sit back and wait till someone gets hurt then, right ?

Raikkonen drove to fast for the conditions in Monaco, and by so doing robbed someone of an almost certain podium position. He received no penalty for doing so. But that's fine by you because he apologised and you deem it to be just an innocent racing incident. Funny that.

well largely correct, it was a racing incident (in the wet) and very different to the Fuji turn 1 scenario.

Only Hamilton ran way too hot into turn 1 forcing others off the track.

I really think you need to look at the video footage once again. There were many further down the field that also made a mess of the first corner. Let's punish them all shall we?

mmm, so let's sit back and wait till someone gets hurt then, right ?

I hate to break it to you, but the potential for accident is one of the compelling reasons why people watch Formula One. I'm not saying that anyone wants to see a driver get hurt, but they do want to see cars being driven hard and to the limit. And driving a car to the limit is not an exact science, so accidents will happen.

well largely correct, it was a racing incident (in the wet) and very different to the Fuji turn 1 scenario.

I'm struggling to see how you make the distinction. In both incidents, the driver drove to fast for the conditions and the situation. They both made mistakes, although neither of them did so intentionally. In one case it resulted in a few drivers running wide, although able to continue and with the whole race ahead of them. In the other, it took someone completely out from behind and denied them of a podium finish and the points that go along with that.

Just a wild guess here, but you couldn't possibly have a soft spot for a certain team in red now could you?