Elephant, Owner Killed By Pick-up Truck On Bangkok Street

george

/quote/

Now please tell us how you really feel about all the dogs roaming about in BKK..... Please don't hold back.....

/quote/

I wish there wasn't so many dogs roaming the roads and streets of Thailand; but until neutering/spaying turns in a enforced law in Thailand please plan on continued weaving and dodging the dogs when driving.

Bangkok governor should learn a thing or two from Sakhon Nakorn governor. I don't see any stray dogs on the street here.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young jumbo, youth killed crossing road

A 7-year-old male elephant and a 16-year-old boy were killed and two people injured when hit by a pick-up truck while crossing a road in Bangkok in the early hours of yesterday. The elephant, Phlai Boonmee, and the youth, identified only as Chit, died on the spot. Sitthichai Yiawaram, 12, suffered injuries to his head and Kongsit Thalerngsuk, 24, scrapes and bruising. The vehicle's driver, Surachai Sunthornpadakul, 40, had a cut under his eye. The injured people were taken to Vibhavadi Ram hospital. The elephant's owner, Boonchan Yiawaram, 36, said he, his son Sitthichai and their neighbours came from Buriram two days ago to beg for food and money in Bangkok. After roaming the streets near Lam Salee intersection in Bang Kapi district on Wednesday evening, they had returned to the place in Srinakarin road where they were staying, and were hit by the speeding vehicle as they crossed the road, Boonchan said. The driver was charged with reckless driving causing death and injury and eyewitnesses said the driver appeared to be drunk, Pol Lt-Col Suebsakul said. Soraida Salwala, founder of the Friends of the Asian Elephant foundation, said the problems of elephants roaming the streets had gone on for too long. The authorities paid only lip service to improving the welfare of the roaming elephants and the mahouts. "This accident could have been prevented. Elephants should not roam about in cities. They should stay where they belong,'' Ms Soraida said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/171008_News/17Oct2008_news06.php

^^

It is not a false sentiment!! I just feel that way. I really adore elephants. Majestic creatures. Sometimes more clever than humans (humanus barbarus).

I feel exactly the same way about the little foxes to be found in any decent disco.

Set them free in Khao Yai so they can raid corn fields planted along the border of the park. Villagers will then get angry, shoot or poison the elephants.

The problem is the Elephants are not treated with respect. As someone said earlier, the elephants are used as begging accessories. Just like a beggar would use a baby (sometimes not even her own baby) as a begging accessory.

Makes me mad. :o

Agreed but what are the alternatives for the elephants?

My condolences to the family on the loss of their son and the elephant. Like many others, I strongly disagree with the way the animals are treated, nonetheless, I am sure the family is experiencing a great deal of pain at this time and they have my sympathies.

Set them free in Khao Yai so they can raid corn fields planted along the border of the park. Villagers will then get angry, shoot or poison the elephants.

The problem is the Elephants are not treated with respect. As someone said earlier, the elephants are used as begging accessories. Just like a beggar would use a baby (sometimes not even her own baby) as a begging accessory.

Makes me mad. :o

Agreed but what are the alternatives for the elephants?

I agree 100%. I was sitting in Sudar restaurant just off Sukhumvit last night and a huge elephant came down the soi. No way can they even remotely be considered safe in a city.

The guys who were with the elephant were selling what i think was sugar cane to tourists. About 6 small peices in a bag for 20 baht. A complete rip off. The elephants are being completely abused.

Another thing, how far do the elephants have to walk to get into the city?

I am sick of drunk drivers

I am sick of elephants and children being treated as "begging accessories"

I am sick of tourists who are too daft to wonder why elephants are in Bangkok,

who go on to pay for their picture to be taken with them,

Why the rant in an otherwise sad and tragic story? My heart goes out to the children.

Have you never tipped a busker? These common people are no different, using what little they have to try to make a few baht.

Let's hope the driver gets the full legal treatment and the families of the deceased see some justice and compensation.

My apologies for those comments coming over as a rant.

You are right, this is a tragic story.

However, there are many small factors that when combined together

lead to this tragic outcome.

I listed those which I am sick of.

In hindsight, "sick of" is too stong a word.

Weary of, would be better.

I do tip buskers, and I also tip many other beggars who do not busk.

I "try" not to pass my Protestant Work Ethic and value judgements on them,

but I shall be honest and say there is probably no logic

to my emotional / rational actions as to who gets / who gets nothing on any particular day.

However, I have a problem giving to beggars who use children or animals

as "begging accessories" / "sympathy raisers".

It is probably as emotional as it is rational.

I don't believe that children and animals have much of a say in the matter

when adults decide to take them out begging.

In some cases I feel that "using what little they have"

(e.g. a monkey on a chain, a lizard on a leash, a dancing bear, a sick kid, etc.)

is no justification for their actions.

I totally agree with you that the driver should get the correct application of the law.

I also hope that mahouts in Bangkok will also get the correct application of the law.

Ooops... realised there was a request for my opinions on Soi dogs.

I haven't seen Sid the Soi Dog involved in begging,

so for me it is a separate issue from my thoughts on

elephants in cities, and using animals and kids

to get the sympathy satang.

In my years living here I have grown immune

to soi dogs.

Our soi is quite quiet and we don't suffer

from midnight barking contests as some do.

Nor do I know of anyone who has been on

the receiving end of a dog mauling

that has affected others.

I did find "the live and lt live attitude" to soi dogs weird

when I first came to Thailand -

particularly when the office team used to buy dog food

from a 7-Eleven and feed the dogs out the front

of the office at lunchtime.

Now it just washes past me and I get stupidly annoyed

at the uniformed folk

that stand outside office blocks and shopping malls

BLOWING their WHISTLES at the traffic

when no one in a car really cares

whether they are blowing a whistle or not.

That I can joke to myself and others about these minor irritations

shows that I appreciate living in Bangkok

more than any other city.

Again, my thoughts do go out

to the victims of the tragedy this thread refers to.

Elephant, owner killed by pick-up truck on Bkk street

BANGKOK: -- A seven-year-old elephant and a 16yearold Thai boy were killed instantly after being run over by a pickup truck in Bangkok's Sri Nakarin area, police said Thursday.

Police arrived the scene near Samitivet Hospital at 1.30am yesterday to find Plai Boonmee's body in the middle of the road and nearby was the body of 16yearold boy identified only as Chit. Two others people including a 12yearold son of the elephant's mahout Boonchan Yiewram were slightly injured.

The pickup truck driver Surachai Sunthornpadakul, 40, who appeared to be drunk and sustained a cut under his eye waited for police at the scene, said Pol Lt Seubsakul Khemthong of the Prawet police station.

-- The Nation 2008-10-16

I've problem understanding the article.

Title: An elepahant and its keeper were killed.

Reported: 7yo elephant and 16yo Thai boy were killed instantly. (Was this boy the elephant keeper?)

At the scene: 2 bodies were found - Plai Boonmee's and Chit's. (Was the elephant's name Plai Boonmee?)

Additional: There were 3 other casualties - son of the elephant keeper, the driver who suffered minor cut and one unidentified person. (the 12yo is the son of 16yo!!??)

It's bizarre or perhaps I need English tuition.

Edited by BODYholic

The story is a little confusing. The 7year old elephant is named Plai Boonmee, the 16 year old boy is Chit and the father is a 34 year old Mahout. It took me a couple of reads to get it all straight. There is also a 12 year old boy, whom I think is a son of the Mahout as well.

Drunken drivers dosnt care for other people and their lifes and should be considered as murderers

Bengt,

So I guess you have never made any mistakes in your life and because of your perfect seed you have sowed you are now the tall tree too all which would like shade.

Would you like too be the judge and jury and possible the executioner or would you like somebody else to do that part under your request.

They did say ‘apparently’ in the post incident, unless you have some first hand knowledge of the report to add?

It never ceases to amaze me, but then you advertise that you are a ‘Odd fellow’ "Friendship, Love and Truth" but in reality you probable don’t practice what you preach.

Splatter finally made some sense well done ha.

Head back to the top of the thread and read ‘Dingdongrd’ quotes ‘these are great’.

Heng, Scott sum it up.

I can only add that I find driving in Bkk a challenge at the best of times and would not advise this for the faint hearted even before believe it or not, adding an Elephant on the tar seal.

I can remember back that it was recommended for (red) flashing lights to be added to tail and or feet which is something I guess at night, which may be the only warning you have under curtain circumstances but I still see this is not compulsory.

Next page…arr. sigh and shrug my shoulders.

Because if you only worry about the drunks on the road and feel that they are the chaos and want to highlight them you won’t last five minutes and all the “friend ship, love, and truth you possess will not help you on the roads in this big bad city”.

Regards

C-sip-degree.

Drunken drivers dosnt care for other people and their lifes and should be considered as murderers

Bengt,

So I guess you have never made any mistakes in your life and because of your perfect seed you have sowed you are now the tall tree too all which would like shade.

Would you like too be the judge and jury and possible the executioner or would you like somebody else to do that part under your request.

They did say ‘apparently’ in the post incident, unless you have some first hand knowledge of the report to add?

It never ceases to amaze me, but then you advertise that you are a ‘Odd fellow’ "Friendship, Love and Truth" but in reality you probable don’t practice what you preach.

Splatter finally made some sense well done ha.

Head back to the top of the thread and read ‘Dingdongrd’ quotes ‘these are great’.

Heng, Scott sum it up.

I can only add that I find driving in Bkk a challenge at the best of times and would not advise this for the faint hearted even before believe it or not, adding an Elephant on the tar seal.

I can remember back that it was recommended for (red) flashing lights to be added to tail and or feet which is something I guess at night, which may be the only warning you have under curtain circumstances but I still see this is not compulsory.

Next page…arr. sigh and shrug my shoulders.

Because if you only worry about the drunks on the road and feel that they are the chaos and want to highlight them you won’t last five minutes and all the “friend ship, love, and truth you possess will not help you on the roads in this big bad city”.

Regards

C-sip-degree.

Thanks for your comments.

I make several mistakes in my life but I have never drived under the influence of alcohol and my opinion is that the penalty about this traffic law offenses should be much harder and a drunken driver IS a presumptive killer.

Now please tell us how you really feel about all the dogs roaming about in BKK..... Please don't hold back.....
I wish there wasn't so many dogs roaming the roads and streets of Thailand; but until neutering/spaying turns in a enforced law in Thailand please plan on continued weaving and dodging the dogs when driving.

Personally, I won't weave and risk a worse accident for a feral dog.

If they get in my way, especially when in my truck, then I figure the tree spirits must have told them to do so. :o

F*cking drunk driver...in some cases they at least clean themselves out of the gene-pool (see Heider), but all to often they take innocent people with them...

Jumping to conclusions?

...The pickup truck driver Surachai Sunthornpadakul, 40, who appeared to be drunk and sustained a cut under his eye waited for police at the scene...

So what does a person look like who's just been in a road accident? Wobbles a bit when standing? Holds their head? Needs a bit of support?

Yeah - he must've been drunk 'cause it was mentioned in the report.

Deserves shooting doesn't he. :o

It is a really sad story. The story on Sanuk is not very flattering of the mahout.

The driver was drunk. The truck was destroyed. No way for the driver to drive off.

I am including 2 Thai language links with pictures (I am not putting up the pictures but am including links) The pics are a bit too intense.

http://news.sanook.com/social/social_312057.php

http://seedang.com/stories/35118

dead elephant and the drivers truck

http://www.oknation.net/blog/print.php?id=335777

http://news.mcot.net/crime/inside.php?valu...Jm50eXBlPXRleHQ

http://news.hunsa.com/detail.php?id=12281

A Thai driver wouldn't weave for you! What spirits told you to cross the road?!!

I'll weave if just to make the crossing more challenging. Signal left but veer right, etc.... sometimes with horn and highbeams to confuse you as well.

:o

Both parties are in the wrong. Both the drunk driver and any party bringing elephants into the city.

:o

Unfortunately, the mahout and the driver had the free will to avoid this.

The elephant did not.

Precisely.

Thai "Buddhist" attitudes to animals seem to be riddled with contradictions.

A happier ending for "Xiguang" or "Big Brother" (no Orwellian connotations intended, I think).

Detoxed elephant unfit for the wild

Posted 6 hours 43 minutes ago

An elephant once addicted to heroin-laced bananas in China has kicked his habit, but in the process has become unfit for the wild, state media have said.

The four-year-old bull elephant, referred to alternately as "Big Brother" or "Xiguang", went through a lengthy rehab course after traders captured him in south-west China in 2005 and used heroin-spiked bananas to control him.

"Three years of domestic life and a huge amount of rehabilitation medicine have changed the physical situations, odours and habits of Xiguang," a Yunnan Wild Life Park manager was quoted as saying.

Xiguang will divide his time between two wildlife parks in the south-western province of Yunnan.

-Reuters

Edited by sylviex

We seems to agree that Elephant should not be on the street of Bangkok. We have forgotten that the elephants and other animals are here long before Bangkok is turned into a city. Human does not seems to be able to co-inhabit with the nature. All we want is to occupy for our own needs, and kick all the animals out.

If elephant have their own web board, I wonder what would they write about on this subject.

It would probably look like this :

h'erawihg' aeur[i890quriogj'afklj

ogy ;lksdjfgh'kl; poiquproigqmeefamvz.cdmv;l

osdhljkh

wuthwopu]

h90tuq9hjurkl;tuh'kl;jjaekl;jq

'lwerujy;jeghl;kj

piwq4hyt'9p

We seems to agree that Elephant should not be on the street of Bangkok. We have forgotten that the elephants and other animals are here long before Bangkok is turned into a city. Human does not seems to be able to co-inhabit with the nature. All we want is to occupy for our own needs, and kick all the animals out.

If elephant have their own web board, I wonder what would they write about on this subject.

osdhljkh

wuthwopu]

'lwerujy;jeghl;kj

piwq4hyt'9p

You can write in Elephantese? :o

osdhljkh

wuthwopu]

'lwerujy;jeghl;kj

piwq4hyt'9p

You can write in Elephantese? :D

The surprising thing is that I can read it.... :o

RIP to elephant ..................

Next, as well as RIPs for people we don't know, and we have never heard of before, there is likely to be an outpouring of similarly faux sentiment for dogs, cats, monkeys etc, killed/dying in unusual circumstances.

It's not unreasonable - only people and elephants may be raised to the nobility in Thailand.

Someone asked about casualty rates. Before elephants were banned from Bangkok, they were dying in road-traffic accidents at the rate of about one a week.

Richard.

I have bought bananas from mahout and fed them to elephants. One time, in a herd at a tourist place by the river, a large female got annoyed that I was divvying up my bananas to give to her mates, and she knocked me down with her trunk. Boom, straight down in the dirt. Good thing she didn't follow up with a foot to the head pose (no relation to yoga posture).

Bangkok is seriously bereft of park space, but maybe some day some quasi-enlightened leader will arrange to set aside some parks therein - for some green space for elephants and other fauna who once roamed the swamp that was there in former times. People can go to green areas to interact with elephants, rather than bringing pachyderms to the streets.

Arise, all ye descendants of Homo habilis, Homo Erectus, and bonobos - don't be so Homo Ignoramus.