Thaksin Guilty In Land Case, Gets 2-year Imprisonment

george

LONDON (AFP) — Ousted former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Thursday that a two-year corruption sentence against him was politically motivated. Thaksin said in a statement that after hearing the judgement, "I am still confused; there is no evidence of fraud, corruption nor abuse of power."

He said: "I was convicted simply because I was a politician."

Thaksin, who fled to Britain in August, was sentenced in absentia on Tuesday to two years in jail for violating corruption laws when he helped his wife buy a cut-price lot of government land in 2003.

The 59-year-old was cleared of more serious charges of abuse of power and his wife Pojaman was cleared of all charges.

The couple have said they came to Britain because they would not get a fair trial on corruption charges in Thailand.

Writing in a letter to the media addressed from his temporary home in Surrey, southeast England, Thaksin said the Thai court did not appear to have found fault with his wife's purchase of the land.

"Interestingly, the court did not find the sale transaction of my wife unlawful or illegal, they did not convict her because she is not a politician; nevertheless, I was," Thaksin wrote in the letter.

He continued: "If I were to be guilty of anything, that would be what I have shown to the Thai people, especially those underprivileged rural Thais that they can, and have the right to, demand their government to provide effective policy and programs to improve their lives."

Thaksin said he represented a "threat" to various Thai elites who "believe in anything but democracy" because "I represent the principle of liberal democracy which promote hope and pride of the poor of my country (sic)."

Of his country's future, he said he did "not know should I laugh or cry to see the direction Thailand is moving."

He lamented the resignation of the current prime minister's predecessor, Samak Sundaravej, after a Thai court ruled he had illegally accepted payment for TV cooking shows.

But Thailand "is and will remain a great and beautiful country" whose people "will win over this struggle," he added.

Since the judgement, Thai prosecutors have begun gathering evidence to submit to Britain requesting Thaksin's extradition, according to an official in the Thai attorney general's office.

Earlier this month, a British Home Office spokesman said Thaksin and his wife had applied for political asylum, although people close to Thaksin were quoted in Thai media Wednesday as saying that report was incorrect.

Thaksin was overthrown in a military coup in September 2006, and the junta set up a corruption investigation unit to look into alleged abuses of power.

So far, the Supreme Court has agreed to hear five cases against Thaksin.

The land deal verdict on Tuesday was the first judgment against him.

Source: http://hicomrade.wordpress.com/2008/10/23/thaksin-slams-corruption-judgment-as-politically-motivated/

Even when Toxin has been tried and convicted of a serious crime in his own country (one of many four other awaiting trial), fled to another and shamelessly indulged in politics on a daily basis, had his visa revoked there and been put on a blacklist after he expressly said he admired UK because of its democratic ideals; you still forlornly cling to the hope that it is all some ghastly mistake and your hero is somehow innocent of all charges and will soon be home in Thailand a free man. :D

Guess he'll have to wail and rail how UK is so unfair and the justice system is corrupted by PAD there too. :D

Well, they say "love is blind", but you take it too a new height Koo. You're not one of his hot little paramours are you? :o

Edited by plachon

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they say "love is blind", but you take it too a new height Koo. You're not one of his hot little paramours are you? :o

So are 90,000 people on 1 Nov his hot little paramours too?

Aren't we all adults? Did I ever abuse any members because they are in the anti-Thaksin group?

Aren't we all adults? Did I ever abuse any members because they are in the anti-Thaksin group?

Interestingly there were intl. news which was talking from some 50,000+ but below 60,000 and that's quite a big difference compare to what the Thaksin supporters are telling!

Also interestingly is that the intl. News are more trusted than the Thai News but concerning Thaksin and pro Government the Thai News should be better!

Form my point of view there is something wrong?!

Same as with what your wrote about the Drug use, that the Drug use was near zero at Thaksin's time! but you forget to mention that there were more than 3,000 humans which had loose their live in the so named War against Drug!

Maybe we'll see the same again within the next 3-4 month in the upcoming War against Drug's! A nice move from your Government and that in the highest Season of the year! Not bad and it seems to be you like that! Unfortunate I don't!

Cheers.

I know you admire Khun Taxsin, but to suggest he could keep 90,000 (bit of an exagerration of numbers in the stadium) mia-nois, is pushing the bounds of belief, (both in his powers to pull and the depth of his wallet). So no, it was directed at you alone.

Yes, we all are supposedly adults here. That doesn't mean we have to leave a sense of humour behind, so long as we abide by the rules of the board. Are you suggesting I "abused" you? I'm not sure about your record of abuse and I couldn't really care less. I could care about your flippant and insensitive comments about Thaksin's extra judicial killing spree of over 2,000 people as being "the only way" to solve drugs problem. Either you are very childish and naive, or you really have lost your humanity in your blind love for the evil bastard. :D

I wish every leader could be exactly like him. His ability to develop a country is amazing.

Not everyone can love him. That is not strange.

You are not Mrs Thaksin by any chance posting under a preudonym, are you?

Interestingly there were intl. news which was talking from some 50,000+ but below 60,000 and that's quite a big difference compare to what the Thaksin supporters are telling!

Also interestingly is that the intl. News are more trusted than the Thai News but concerning Thaksin and pro Government the Thai News should be better!

Same as with what your wrote about the Drug use, that the Drug use was near zero at Thaksin's time! but you forget to mention that there were more than 3,000 humans which had loose their live in the so named War against Drug!

Maybe we'll see the same again within the next 3-4 month in the upcoming War against Drug's! A nice move from your Government and that in the highest Season of the year! Not bad and it seems to be you like that! Unfortunate I don't!

Cheers.

So I make it 40,000 people then. Still a lot more than PAD. After 2 red meetings, media people start to talk a bit in between. I feel they are instructed to be on the PAD side. Some soft people in the Jaturat program on tv now start to speak stronger.

If the reds had not shown their power, people would have still confused. When media people deliver only half of the news, black can turned out white.

Cheers.

So I make it 40,000 people then. Still a lot more than PAD. After 2 red meetings, media people start to talk a bit in between. I feel they are instructed to be on the PAD side. Some soft people in the Jaturat program on tv now start to speak stronger.

If the reds had not shown their power, people would have still confused. When media people deliver only half of the news, black can turned out white.

It could just be possible that both sides are lying an spreading only propoganda and that people should be very careful in believing what either say

I wish every leader could be exactly like him. His ability to develop a country is amazing.

Why? A woman who loves Khun Thaksin is believed to be his wife.

So 90,000 people in red on 1 Nov should be Mrs. Thaksin's wives :o

I think you missed the subtly implied.

Ah, I see now you are implying Potty is coming out as a promiscuous lesbian now.

How liberal of you!

Forget the 90k number, the place only held 70k and wasn't full.

All reports since state 50,000 at most.

Still that's a lot of ladies to please.

So 90,000 people in red on 1 Nov should be Mrs. Thaksin's wives :D

Ah, I see now you are implying Potty is coming out as a promiscuous lesbian now.

How liberal of you!

We should allow some leeway for Mrs thaksin / Koo82 as it's her place to exaggerate the numbers so hubby feels wanted. :o

How liberal of you!

My bad. I forgot. Let's say there were 40,000 reds then. What's the point? The people who see the truth are more than the people who watch lies daily until they believe these lies are true.

How liberal of you!

My bad. I forgot. Let's say there were 40,000 reds then. What's the point?

The people who see the truth are more than the people who watch lies daily until they believe these lies are true.

63 million minus aprox 16 mil who voted for them = 47 mil who DIDN'T vote for them.

63 divided by 16= 3.93

16 mill is a little under 25% of the populace who DID vote for them

63 mill divided by 40,000 is 1575

so 1 / 1,575th of the country still believes in Thaksin.

Being nice and saying Full house 70k it's still only 1 / 900th

16 million divided by 40,000 = 400.

So he's down 1 / 400th of those who voted for PPP still believe in Thaksin

motivated enough to be bussed in for this little talk show for ONE night...

A fall from

25% 1 / 4 of the country down to 1 / 1,575 of the country.

No wonder Potty bailed on him.

Hyperbole of course, but not so far from valid analysis.

Lies are told on all sides.

they truth speaks for itself when the 'righteous' can listen and decide for themselves.

Edited by animatic

How liberal of you!

My bad. I forgot. Let's say there were 40,000 reds then. What's the point? The people who see the truth are more than the people who watch lies daily until they believe these lies are true.

So the now modified or assumed 40,000 at the gathering of the great minds are the only ones who can see the truth - yeah - right , how come it is only (in your blinkered opinion ) Thaksin's sheep who are able to see the truth? I await your indepth explanation.

^ Well to answer your question, you have the PAD trying to brainwash everyone , pumping themselves up with yellow shirts and nationalistic rhetoric, aggression and fanaticism , and any crafty trick they can think of . In their blind fervor to destroy Thaksin , they lost sight of the truth long ago.

Why do you still argue 50,000 or 90,000 reds? They showed their power in an organized venue. They do not scream night and day inside the Government House area. Enough for anyone who wants a coup must think that they can't use that trick this time.

In the 63 million, did you count those under 18? I didn't know kindergarten kids can vote.

The PPP got more votes than any other parties so they won the election. That is all matters. Why argue over something obvious?

How many votes did the Democrat Party get?

Why do you still argue 50,000 or 90,000 reds? They showed their power in an organized venue. They do not scream night and day inside the Government House area. Enough for anyone who wants a coup must think that they can't use that trick this time.

In the 63 million, did you count those under 18? I didn't know kindergarten kids can vote.

The PPP got more votes than any other parties so they won the election. That is all matters. Why argue over something obvious?

It is academic how many votes either side got - however, it seems that many are uninformed what is being protested in the main by PAD - for those who don't know it's about corruption in government and the continuation of the corruption by nominee ministers and a spineless ex Pm who hasn't the b@lls to face the music and who is trying to get his nominee government to enact or change laws to suit his own agenda. Surely that is what is obvious.

It is academic how many votes either side got - however, it seems that many are uninformed what is being protested in the main by PAD - for those who don't know it's about corruption in government and the continuation of the corruption by nominee ministers and a spineless ex Pm who hasn't the b@lls to face the music and who is trying to get his nominee government to enact or change laws to suit his own agenda. Surely that is what is obvious.

Obviously not by some, so blinded by past societal control manipulations,

or at least pervasive propaganda from a demagogues clique,

that they don't see the threat of the present through the trees of the past.

ROSE COLORED GLASSES of the most blinkered.

If the DAAD and UDD can bring their children to swell their numbers,

as PAD also brings their families, then you can count families as supporting entities.

I also noted it wasn't emperical numbers.

But certainly the point was a gross slide in support compared to the past.

The Dems got nearly as many votes and won in one reconning.

Your side holds a rally and the people yell in the stadium, but PAD screams.

One man's rallying cry is another man's screaming. Depends if you like the content, no?

PAD no doubt would prefer no coup, just a quiet resignation of PPP cabinet,

and a new election of more honest players.

A reduction of graft and personal enrichment in the public sphere.

Not too much to ask for.

Unless you WANT corrupt government in power?

Koo do you WANT corrupt government in power?

Do you WANT the Thai people to be ripped off

by the very people they voted for,

in a BIGGER way than before?

Almost ALL the current cabinet is charged with malfeasances,

some with multiple counts. 100 banned politicians are their

controlling council behind the scenes, in a "War Room"

headed by a convicted criminal on the run.

Oh yes, the current Cabinet is set to be dissolved as a party shortly.

And executive members banned also.

But Thaksin and company is again reaching for a still younger generation

of family players to take over.Thaksin is trying to install a personal family dynasty

in Thailand, just before another inevitable dynastic change....

That is the end product of ALL your arguments.

Gross and vile corruption and theft from the public coffers

on an unprecidented scale. And maybe WORSE.

Edited by animatic

The PPP DID NOT get more votes than any other party, in fact it was the Dem's that got more votes than anybody else however despite this they did not have enough seats to take government.

The PPP who themselves DID NOT have enough seats then formed a coalition with other parties, a coalition which then had enough seats to take government. This agreement has been abused by the larger PPP party and it is no secret that some of the coalition members have been close to pulling out.

What you see as 'obvious' koo82 is, in fact, incorrect. But don't let the facts get in the way now will you.

The PPP DID NOT get more votes than any other party, in fact it was the Dem's that got more votes than anybody else however despite this they did not have enough seats to take government.

The PPP who themselves DID NOT have enough seats then formed a coalition with other parties, a coalition which then had enough seats to take government. This agreement has been abused by the larger PPP party and it is no secret that some of the coalition members have been close to pulling out.

What you see as 'obvious' koo82 is, in fact, incorrect. But don't let the facts get in the way now will you.

Why didn't Democrat Party form a coalition with other parties?

This should read: Why didn't other parties want to stick with Dem?

Koo do you WANT corrupt government in power?

Am I missing something here?

Why do you say the current government is corrupt?

Dear lord give me strength to stop LAUGHING.

Question one;

A. Yes!

Question two; A.

If you can't see it already,

I can't show you anything you WILL see.

Not meant as a flame, it's just the ONLY response possible.

Edited by animatic

Why didn't Democrat Party form a coalition with other parties?

This should read: Why didn't other parties want to stick with Dem?

I don't know the answer to that question, if you do yourself then let us know the answer backed up by FACT.

But good on you, you get something that you state as obvious dis-proven and then continue to use it to fight your corner.

Reading your comment suggesting that the PPP simply confirms that you are a lost cause. Nevermind though Koo82 because ignorance, as they say, is bliss afterall.

Dems got same number of votes in national party lists - for their ideology and policies, but PPP picked up a lot more MPs on constituency lists - local guys known for their work with their communities rather than with policies like Village funds or 30 baht scheme or Otop.

PPP ended up a party with the largest number of seats in total - that gave the right to form the government first. There were many conditions attached and PPP had to publicly drop its pro-Thaksin agenda.

So, the correct thing would be to say that PPP has the highest number of popular politicians, but for Koo to insist that they have the most attractive policies and ideology is simply not true.

Roughly four million people switched their party vote from TRT to Democrats from 2005 elections, and I think it will be a lot worse for Thaksin if elections were held now.

Democrats still don't have any good candidates in Isan, they are not likely to win any more constituency seats, but they will beat the crap out of PPP on ideology and policies fronts, largely by taking in "give them a chance" votes that went to the likes of Pua Paendin and Matchima last year - they failed to deliver anything.