Things Not To Joke About With Thai's

GeneralFritzPlugmaster

the very ( sad) fact that there happens to be one subject, any subject ( we all know what it is in this case) that any society cannot maturely openly discuss shows the lack of maturity in that society

and why it remains open to question regarding its progress,and the butt of some jokes.

Jokes often contain some truths. And sensible discussion.

Hence we cannot make jokes about this subject because it might just spark some people to start thinking for themselves and question certain things and eventually grow up.

agreed completely, but can't really expound upon this subject.

I disagree, I might say that those enfused with juvenile contrarianism for the sake of some petty intellectual idealism on government, are the ones that need to grow up. Most Thais know when and when not to pay respect to someone if they deserve it, it's not a blind reverence. Divinity can just as quickly change into infamy if the public sees what's going on, look at Laos or Cambodia. Why then tear something down, just for the sake of it or because one wants to make Thailand a mirror image of our bleak Western countries?

Anyway, I still think joking about ghosts at night is still the number one no-no! :o

not tearing down.. did I say that at all? but not being able to question certain things is not good.I really think people here are sort of ' controled" into not thinking, a sort of policy

my girlfriend is constantly sarcastic - winds me up at every opportunity too. She finds Mr. Bean boring, as do I.

Dunno about puns, as my Thai is not good enough. I do make pee jokes ( ghost jokes), in an attempt to wind her up.

I think it matters a lot how close you are with whoever you share jokes with.There is a difficulty with Thai language for europeans, in that, in Thai, you say exactly what you mean to communicate. Adding meaning through expression is considered very rude - so until they know you well enough, they can easily misunderstand some jokes. I doubt that I will ever really understand Thai cultural ways.

I would not dare to make jokes about THAT subject.

I do find irony is a bit lost on her tho.

Never ever mention the lack of size of a Thai males sexual organ, even in jokes.

If you (meaning anyone) did im sure they would only laugh at your ignorance :o

well my thai boyfriend is nothing to joke about i can certify that in my experience thai men have nothing to worry about at all

In my family there is a lot of joking about passing gas under the sheets :D (not by me of course :o ). This seems to be done most unabashedly from what I have "experienced" in the past, with the perpetrator merely giggling :D .

And with spicy Thai food like kapi, gets a bit potent for the bedmate! - whew! :D

:D

Edited by Lopburi99

Anything that will cause them to lose face. That is the single most important thing in Thailand.

Yes, especially any act that draws attention to them in public, eg. exageratingly pointing at them, applauding them jokingly, joking loudly when you are with them etc - all no, nos.

the very ( sad) fact that there happens to be one subject, any subject ( we all know what it is in this case) that any society cannot maturely openly discuss shows the lack of maturity in that society

Not sure about this. Every society has its taboos. Not many 9/11 jokes get big laughs in New York. Not many child abuse jokes go down too well in Manchester. Allah ain't a cause for funnies in Islamabad. You may doubt these are comparable with the topic alluded to, but I think there's a connection.

Look at how Thai society has been polarised (and mobilised) by Thaksin and imagine what it would be like if people started spouting about certain other figures.

While I agree that convention needs to be challenged, recognising and respecting the conventions of a society with which you interact has to be a good thing, whether or not you agee with the theory.

(3..2...1...?)

grown up mature, progressive societys that actually care about its citezans,education, welfare, human rights and not being seen as one of the worlds most currupt whorehouse,s who like to keep the elite where it is

do NOT say things like " this is the 21st century, but although you are supposedly an adult human being... you cannot debate/question/wonder/ask the legitamacy of so and so..or do this and that"

On the subject of Allah.. can anyone accurately answer me this..

if male blows himself up- he gets 70 virgins, correct?

what about a lady ?( a gangbang possibly, 71 fit young lads, I'am amazed there is,nt more?) I doubt if john holmes and his team would pop up and do the deed

there must be one of ridiculous explanations typical of all organised religions, anyone know what it is?

Anyway, I still think joking about ghosts at night is still the number one no-no! :D

My partner is a very westernized Thai, so I thought I'd test your little warning on someone I thought wouldn't be phased by my light-hearted ghostly remarks.

Ergo: You're right, don't joke about ghosts. One more joke, and I'll be forced to find a hotel room for the night. Alone with my ghosts. :o

Edited by toptuan

Not only have I never heard of this not folding paper money thing until today, I have also consistently folded paper money both in giving it to people and receiving it, I dont keep a wallet so it goes straight in my pocket, and I've honestly never heard a comment or seen a bad face. I was aware of the not stepping on it.. but not folding it! 5 years and never noticed. And I do notice things even when they dont happen.

Do not tell mother in law jokes to, or in front of, your wife but then that is pretty universal.

Thais also, IME, are not keen on jokes of a sexual nature but I am sure somebody out there has experienced the opposite.

I know some dirty, sexual THAI Jokes, presented to me through my Sister in Law at Mother in Laws Birthday Party. Unfortunately the good ones would be removed soon if I publish them here. :o

You can Joke about anything if you know them, but never ever include the Royal Family.

Never ever mention the lack of size of a Thai males sexual organ, even in jokes.

If you (meaning anyone) did im sure they would only laugh at your ignorance :o

I used to have a Thai friend that borrowed one of the condoms i brought from the USA and the next day he commented on it being too big for him. Also I have never accidentally bought condoms in the USA that were too small for me but i have in thailand. I think the fact that the USA has regular and large sizes readily available at wallmart while thailand only have regular and small speaks volumes for the average sizes in each respective country.

I have been told by a student not to say "yet."

Our grandparents loved slapstick and burlesque. Children love fart jokes.

'yet' means something very very naughty with sexual references, never say it in conjuction with the words 'ypur mum!'

Our grandparents loved slapstick and burlesque. Children love fart jokes.

Looking at popular Thai comedy shows and movies - it seems Thais are not inhibited at all by western political correctness - farts, henpecked husbands are targets in western comedy, as are camp ladyboys, but dwarves, in fact any cripple or person with an obvious physical disfigurement are laughed at just for appearing and pulling a face. Western audiences have been taught to squirm at the sight of a cripple being abused.... As for Thai "taboos" - Slapping people on the head is always good for a laugh, kicking each other and all kinds of head/feet slapstick. Monks have regularly appeared as central characters, but are treated with affection while being put in embarassing situations. Ghosts are regular stars of comedy movies.

Isaan people in Bangkok , anybody with dark skin, urinating in public, fat comedians with squeaky voices are a hit, women with moles on the face and lots more.

It does seem to the casual observer, that the many many slapstick shows on TV have audiences imported en masse from the local school, and every joke has to be announced with a crash of musical noise to make sure the audience laughs in the right place.