Do.s And/or Don't.s In The South

rosmci

Coming up by train from KL and would like to stay few days in the southern provinces. Travelling solo and don't speak Thai or Malay. Any suggestions from forum members about common sense things to do /not do to keep clear of trouble would be appreciated. The kind of things people living in a place take for granted as "asking for trouble" that a passing farang might not realise unless told. Thanks for any help with this.

rosmci

If you are at all familiar with the 'do's and don'ts of Thailand at large .. they are the same in the South.

I would stress one thing ... don't talk politics should you run into people that speak English (and I mean that totally .. not Thai politics and not western politics) (This includes talking politics with other foreigners ... while not LIKELY to get you into trouble .. it conceivably could.)

Other than that I would only stress that wearing appropriate clothing if touring temples or mosques is important. In a mosque that means not only polite but also covering your head.

I love the South and have never had the slightest problem down there at all ... enjoy your trip!

Edited by jdinasia