Long Term Accommodations On Koh Tao (1 Year+)

Hey guys, I'm planning to move to Koh Tao next month and have been looking for housing/accomodations.

I'll be living here for at least a year so I would like to find a good place.

So far the most suitable place I can find is OK View Bungalows.

Has anyone ever stayed there? I have a few questions.

1. Is the location convenient, how many minutes walk is it from the beach?

2. Is the concrete bungalows worth paying 2x the price of the wooden ones? 6,000baht per month vs 12,000 baht per month what are the diffences?

3. I don't think there is A/C in either the rooms. Will I be okay with just a fan, or will it be unbearable?

4. Is there free wireless internet there, or somewhere close by that I can use?

5. Do they have a safe deposit box/safe, or is there one near by I can rent?

If I don't stay at OK View, where else should I stay at? My budget is between 6,000 - 12,000 baht a month.

Don't know a great deal about Koh Tao i'm afraid BUT.......................I would have thought, for a Year, concrete would be a must, A/C also..

If those Rates that you quote are based on a Month stay, you should be able to offer them a Price with a discount % too that if you're reasonable, i would have thought the Places would accept, especially IF you're offering to pay for 6 months ( don't pay for the year, leave your options open ) or even 3 months..

I lived in Koh Tao for a few years myself, and still make regular trips back there these days.

OK view is OK in itself. I stayed there very briefly in a concrete bungalow (far up the hill!) which wasn't all that great to be honest, tho the view was killer.

I know ppl who have stayed there long term in cheaper wooden bungalows. 6000/12000 sounds expensive to my ears, especially if u plan 1yr+. honestly, for 12,000 baht a month u should get a decent house with fridge/hot water/aircon (excluding electric bill tho!!!) or at the very least a large new concrete A/C bungalow with fridge/hot water, big balcony and nice view. Arrive in person and negotiate a better deal than this. Hard bargaining will pay off.

On the positive side it is quiet enough at OK view, pretty relaxed - hammocks and whatnot in the restaurant area, chilled out crowd, nice staff working there. It is located just off the main Mae Haad-Sairee road (not that close to the beach), can be reached on tarmac road too.

Don't think they offer wireless net to customers there, nor do they have a proper safe I believe, tho they may be able to take care of valuables in a lock-up box. I used to store stuff in a dive shop's safe myself. Dunno if u are working in diving or planning to take some dive courses, but those are the most likely places to find a proper safe.

Its not really convenient to walk to the beach or anywhere, but it can be done in 10-15 minutes or so (down/up a hill), although u also have to walk across/along busy main road - which may be very dangerous at night). There is a slightly steep concrete road leading up to it, which you might not like so much if walking.

If u are planning to live on Koh Tao for a year, you will probably want your own transportation, namely a motorbike. Its almost essential for living there, if u ask me. U can rent a cheap 100-125cc auto/clutchless motorbikes for around 2000-3000 baht/month. Better still buy one for around 10-20,000baht and when you leave sell it for not much less. This has the benefit that if u prang it, no-one will hassle you about money, plus it will cost u much less than renting. If u are fit and enjoy cycling a decent mountain bike is also an option, though i reckon its more dangerous!

Once mobile, you will have far more 2 do and enjoy life on Tao much more. Obviously the roads are not all that great, and caution is advisable when riding, but with some practice u will be able to negotiate shitty dirt roads with ease and know the locations of all the potholes and cracks in the roads.

To be honest u have many many options for long-stay rooms in Koh Tao, in the 3000-6000 baht / month price range. 12,000 is imho too much to be paying, unless you find a really decent house/luxurious bungalow with all mod-cons included. If you are prepared to pay cash up front (eg: 6 months down), you can bargain the price lower.

Honestly for 6000 u should get a decent wooden/concrete bungalow (not a coconut jungle hut!) with fan, fridge and hot water, and if u r intending to stay the whole year i would seriously bargain for quite a bit less. If u are prepared to live in a more remote location (over a hill, or up a hill) you can figure that the price should be 1000baht+ lower for the same standard of room.

November, being pretty foul weather in Tao, is a great time to find many vacant long term rooms and bargain about prices, so I'd recommend you turn up - stay somewhere for a week or even a month, rent a bike and hunt for the perfect place to stay. By all means try OK view, but I think with a bit of patient searching you will find something better.

A/C is expensive to run on Tao. Electricity price is high. You can manage with fan, its better for your health and the world's too :o Fridge/hot water for me are more important.

Enjoy yourself on Koh Tao.

Don't know a great deal about Koh Tao i'm afraid BUT.......................I would have thought, for a Year, concrete would be a must, A/C also..

If those Rates that you quote are based on a Month stay, you should be able to offer them a Price with a discount % too that if you're reasonable, i would have thought the Places would accept, especially IF you're offering to pay for 6 months ( don't pay for the year, leave your options open ) or even 3 months..

Mr Singh if you don't know about a topic why,why are you commenting ????!!!! haven't you got better things to do ??

Mr Singh if you don't know about a topic why,why are you commenting ????!!!! haven't you got better things to do ??

Bophut Bob's been drinking again.... :o

I was only trying to help someone, next time i won't bother.. :D

Road2Dharma that was extremely helpful, thank you! I will do just that, show up and rent a room for a week or a month, find a comfortable way of transportation, most likely a motorbike, and then shop around for where I want to settle in for the rest of the year.

I'm really glad to hear that I estimated on the high side of budget, and that I would be able to find decent housing for less than 6,000 bath a month. Whewww. What a relief! I'm used to paying rip off the tourist prices in phuket.

I'm trying desperately hard to get everything taken care of by the end of november and moving out then. I just got back from Thailand 3 days ago, and need to sell two cars, break up with a girlfriend, break my lease, cancel all of my bills, sell all my stuff, move the rest into storage, apply for a visa, buy plane tickets, and make a quick couple thousand usd to bring with me. Wish me luck! I'm shooting for November 25th!