Kawasaki D-tracker X

skybluestu

You right Allan,

Okay, personally I have to say that the Kawasaki D-tracker is a a bike, which stole my heart. I had huge experience with all type of Adventure and Motard bikes. With most bikes nothing wrong they got my attention and create a smile no road bike how fast how powerful can create, it is simple and simple it is what motorcycling is all about. Most people forget that the simple pleasure of riding a motorcycle you not get from the power of the engine or the size of the bike.

To remember something like that we need to get back at the time that we where riding this small displacements bikes, can anybody remember how much fun that was?

When everybody is thinking about that feeling they had when they had only a few horsepower between there legs. And where really proud that we could lose a Police guy on a huge motorcycle, or we where able to fly home without seeing any thing call traffic jams.... yes guys that where the days...

Today, I was in our garage downstairs and looked at our bikes, and a feeling of disappointment got me. Sure we, have bikes for any mood, but what about a real fun bike. I have a Honda CRF450, but that one is upcountry and I did not touch that for something what feels ages. A 450cc in rural isan mud feel like ice-skating without the proper training and tools. I had my 450cc Honda during the raining season.

Okay back to the Kawasaki D-tracker 250, with the D-tracker which most people will call at first a reworked or redesigned KLX250, but this is not completely true. Sure Kawasaki uses lots of technology from the KLX series for the D-tracker (But then the latest Honda car is not a Formula 1 car). The Kawasaki D-tracker 250 is what everybody should try before thinking to buy a motorcycle.

Riding a Kawasaki D-tracker is fun, and then not because it is big or impresses people, nope it is fun because it is amazing to ride... I would almost like it brings the teenage boy back, we still have a D-tracker at home, and with the most ridicules excuses I still did not bring it back.

Closed competition is the Suzuki DRZ400 which is also lots of fun, but in downtown traffic the D-tracker has that little advantage I can lose my expert g/f in a few minutes... I need to say that next year things maybe going to change, as Honda has a excellent 230cc motard motorcycle all lined up.... And that baby is sweet.... Anybody want to show-off on a big Enduro CRF450 with all papers and plates?

(Sorry Allan I write this from behind my bar, I have something like a party.... Also had a few beers)

Edited by Richard-BKK

You right Allan,

Okay, personally I have to say that the Kawasaki D-tracker is a a bike, which stole my heart. I had huge experience with all type of Adventure and Motard bikes. With most bikes nothing wrong they got my attention and create a smile no road bike how fast how powerful can create, it is simple and simple it is what motorcycling is all about. Most people forget that the simple pleasure of riding a motorcycle you not get from the power of the engine or the size of the bike.

To remember something like that we need to get back at the time that we where riding this small displacements bikes, can anybody remember how much fun that was?

When everybody is thinking about that feeling they had when they had only a few horsepower between there legs. And where really proud that we could lose a Police guy on a huge motorcycle, or we where able to fly home without seeing any thing call traffic jams.... yes guys that where the days...

Today, I was in our garage downstairs and looked at our bikes, and a feeling of disappointment got me. Sure we, have bikes for any mood, but what about a real fun bike. I have a Honda CRF450, but that one is upcountry and I did not touch that for something what feels ages. A 450cc in rural isan mud feel like ice-skating without the proper training and tools. I had my 450cc Honda during the raining season.

Okay back to the Kawasaki D-tracker 250, with the D-tracker which most people will call at first a reworked or redesigned KLX250, but this is not completely true. Sure Kawasaki uses lots of technology from the KLX series for the D-tracker (But then the latest Honda car is not a Formula 1 car). The Kawasaki D-tracker 250 is what everybody should try before thinking to buy a motorcycle.

Riding a Kawasaki D-tracker is fun, and then not because it is big or impresses people, nope it is fun because it is amazing to ride... I would almost like it brings the teenage boy back, we still have a D-tracker at home, and with the most ridicules excuses I still did not bring it back.

Closed competition is the Suzuki DRZ400 which is also lots of fun, but in downtown traffic the D-tracker has that little advantage I can lose my expert g/f in a few minutes... I need to say that next year things maybe going to change, as Honda has a excellent 230cc motard motorcycle all lined up.... And that baby is sweet.... Anybody want to show-off on a big Enduro CRF450 with all papers and plates?

(Sorry Allan I write this from behind my bar, I have something like a party.... Also had a few beers)

If the crf450 is an "x" model please pm me,

HI, I just got a black D-Tracker X 2 days ago in Chiang Mai. Apparently the waiting list is pretty short when you pay cash - ordered on saturday with BHT 1000 deposit (surely a first!), came on wednesday. They seem to be selling like hot cakes, two others were sold while I was getting mine.

I am no expert but it's certainly a lot of fun to drive. It's no racing bike but it has very good handling and I have to say it's super easy to ride. It's my first real bike and I had no troubles. Acceleration is perfect, but top speed was 110kph which seemed a bit low. I am thinking it might get faster once I got a few kms on the engine.

Rode it from Chiang Mai to Pai with a smile on my face all the way :o

Of course I am already thinking about tuning it. Maybe you experts can tell me what would be the best upgrade for a little extra power. Replacing the muffler? Twiddling with the FI (fuel injection) settings?

Edited by nikster

Cant say that and then stop... Tell us more !!!

And you prefer the d-Tracker to the DRZ400 ??? I have not ridden either but on paper and in look the DRZ would be head and shoulder above for me ???

livinlos i think richard was saying that in somewhere like Bangkok he prefers the d-tracker cos its lighter,slimmer but still has enough power and contol to nip through the traffic. whereas the drz400 is maybe a bit more of a monster in traffic. its like my CBR'S in Bangkok the 150 is king on the 30 km ride to nakhom pathom the 250 is the dogs <deleted> 160-70 all the way.

Allan

Nikster i think you maybe gotta look at the exhaust to free up more power ( dont forget what ever you order ask them for the fuel injection version cos i think its got a lamda sensor on it). but i think its geared more for accelleration. so again a slight change in rear sprocket number of teeth might work (smaller)

Edited by thaicbr

• 2 weeks later...

Just brought a D Tracker myself and more than happy. It's been a while since i have ridden a proper bike, so this is a good introduction back into it. Easy to ride, great vision due to its ride height and just puts a smile on your face being on it. Of course i would love a bigger machine but this is as much fun as i want from a bike for now, especially with the lunacy on Thai roads!

I had 2 KLX 250 in Thailand and also 1 DRZ 400 in Germany. The Suzuki engine is a dream (later than 2003, IMPORTED), the suspension and frame is shit, really shit! With better shocks and fork it´s a good bike for trailriding.

The KLX (D-Tracker engine) works goods when you make the maintenance all time. It´s not like a XR 250, which is easy in everyday riding and lazy maintenance, gas, oil and go. The KLX is a diva, she needs much more. But then..WOW.

Remember: She was the first 4stroke 250 world champion.

For tuning the D-TRacker is the best, give her the bigbore 300cc.

Giving a D-tracker 250 a bore-up more then 2mm will make the engine tip and you get actual less performance. But with a bore-up of 2mm you get 262cc and with not much other alteration you can increase the power with 2 brake horsepower. Moving up more means not only means a bore-up set but but also means going back to a carburetor and buying an a KLX300R CDI, even the standard stock KLX300R cylinder and cylinder head assemble fits. But if you want to follow this way you better buy a 400cc Suzuki DRZ400, which is probably cheaper.

The Kawasaki D-Tracker 250 is a fuel injection model, I cannot understand what more maintenance it needs other than now and then a check for the liquid cooling level... As the Honda XR250 has no liquid cooling, this is the only thing more you need to check compared to the Honda XR250.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Yes, Richard you´re right. The evolution goes on, of course. Injection and much more. I´ve talked about the roots from 10 years and more ago. The KLX, both ones were bikes with a lot of work alltime and a f.................... lots of broken what ever is able to break. I believe in Kawasaki, that the bikes are better today.

I agree if you ride an enduro machine as a motocross bike, things would in the end fall off. The same thing happened to my Honda CRF450, lucky the Kawasaki D-tracker is a motard machine and hopeful will see not that much off-road riding.

For my earlier comparison between the Suzuki DRZ400SM and a Kawasaki D-tracker, it is true that the Kawa is better in city traffic, but riding it upcountry is as much fun as riding a Suzuki DRZ400. Sure the Suzuki can give you more speed, but belief me, on a motard style motorcycle everything above 120km/h is no riding pleasure.... The upright riding position makes 120km/h feel like the wind has more control over your bike then yourself, and just when you think you're doing well some teenage boy passes you on a modified scooter. When that happens you have two choices you go flat on the tank and push the DRZ400 to its maximum with the obvious dangers, or you slowdown and start enjoying your motorcycle riding.

Also the price difference between a brand new Kawasaki D-tracker +/- 150,000 Baht or a Suzuki DRZ400 from 2004 for 245,000 Baht is just to must (Suzuki DRZ400 for Sale)

Edited by Richard-BKK

I can give you the telephone number of Kawasaki office in Bangkok 02-247 7935 to 38, if anybody can give you an answer it would probably be them...

Thanks Richard,

Also just thought you'd all like to know that the KLX250 (no D-Trackers in the UK) is much more expensive in the UK even with the Pound in the toilet (mind you Pound's gone from 238 Yen to around 140 in a year).

£3700 in the UK, compared with say 53 Baht to Pound £2800 in Thailand. This search from AutoTrader. Notice also the Ninja 250 is £3500.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/b...ons=&page=1

Liquid cooled, fuel injected, 6 speed, high riding position, looks good too. Really like this bike.

Some reports say nearly 40 horsepower, others 30?

Guess with a few after-market performance parts the power can be increased?

40 hp in a streetlegal 250 fourstroke single is science fiction.

Do you think it is possible to transplant say, a 450cc motor into one of these things.

Reckon 33 hp is possible with the 250 unit?

i had a d tracker in the uk that was a 285cc oversize, mikuni carb and freeflow filter, fmf muffler system was 37 bhp,i had also had the head ported and cleaned up,.never gave any mechanical problems,