Bed Sheets

lioness

Has anyone any idea where I can buy what I call normal bed sheet sets, i.e. Fitted sheet, an upper flat sheet, pillow cases and Bolster covers to match.

I have searched extensively but cannot find anywhere that has an upper ( the flat ) sheet in a set.

Thanks in advance

I have "heard" such are available at the Emporium. If you can find them there, they are guaranteed to cost an arm and a leg. On my twice-yearly trips back to the US I bring a set or two each time. Flat sheets are just not customary in Thailand.

I have searched for years but it is impossible to find a set with a flat sheet that matches the fitted sheet, pillow cases & bolsters. I end up just buying the duvet cover that matches the rest & use that instead. :o

Pasaya ... nice sheets available in different thread counts (you women really need to learn to ask the gay guys where to go shopping!)

Emporium

Paragon

(and most likely The Mall since it is the same company)

and I think Central/Robinsons

available in some great colors too!

http://www.pasaya.com/mainpage.php

They often do great promotions .... nice stuff!

Edited by jdinasia

jd, are you sure they have non-fitted sheets? Coz all I have seen are fitted bottom sheets (lovely ones, to be sure...but fitted).

I made an almost identical post a few years back and ultim ately ended up doing the following to get my top sheets;

- buying fitted sheets larger than I needed, cutting out the elastic and having someone hem it for me

- ordering from home

Top sheets are just not a custom in Thailand. Don't ask me why....

jd, are you sure they have non-fitted sheets? Coz all I have seen are fitted bottom sheets (lovely ones, to be sure...but fitted).

I made an almost identical post a few years back and ultim ately ended up doing the following to get my top sheets;

- buying fitted sheets larger than I needed, cutting out the elastic and having someone hem it for me

- ordering from home

Top sheets are just not a custom in Thailand. Don't ask me why....

I am 100% sure they have flat sheets in the sets. They aren't cheap but they are nice!

They run promotions for up to 60% off.

I was able to find flat white sheets, 100% cotton, at Makro, of all places. They were about $30 each for a king size. I think they stock them for the hotels, because they are with the chef aprons and tablecloths. Aro brand. The thread count is adequate; not as nice a percale as I would prefer, but not a coarse muslin either. I use them with my colored and patterned sheet sets and call it good.

sheryl, maybe its a western only thing ; the way we make beds? in israel also its only fitted bottom, top is a duvet cover for our winter quilts (no real american style blankets); in the summer, a pique sheet or what is called here a summer weight duvet. we just use the duvet covers as blankets in summer anyway.

first time in israel i tried stuffing the mattress in to the duvet cover, not knowing that that was what is was...

and most people here hate sleeping with the american (anglo?) style of flat sheet/blanket on top. they get all tangled in it, it falls off, etc...

bina

israel

Yes I had the same trouble hunting high and low for flat sheets. When we went to buy a bed from a "local" shop which sold beds, mattresses, doonas etc we asked about the sheets. They said they could get them made for us (& did). The only thing was the colour choice was white, white or white. As cathyy said - they are used for the hotel trade.Price was reasonable as I recall. So may need to get away from the bigger shops and try the suburbs

Thanks to everyone and yes JD, next time I want to know something I will know who to ask.

Now all I have to do is find out where the Emporium is, I guess Bangkok.

Phrom phong BTS station .. (attached to it) but you can try locally or call the company and ask if they have an outlet near you.

I don't know where you are in Thailand but if you are in a vaguely touristy area you should be able to find a shop that caters predominantly for the hotel and guesthouse trade. You'll get decent quality and at a price much less than you'd find at Emporium, Central etc.

There are often stalls at furniture, home decoration etc shows at BITEX, Queen Sirikit Centre and Impact.

Finally, there's a place in Chatuchak market which is also good, but don't ask me where; I usually have difficulty finding it myself.

NB if you want anything other than white then completely ignore the above!

I've seen the sets in Central Store Pin Khlao a couple of years ago. They also have nice sets at the Flynow outlet North of Pattaya, so I assume they have them

in the other Flynow outlets. Problem for me is finding California King......If I remember correctly Central may have had them.......but if you go to the states or have someone coming for a visit really nice sheets from Costco are way cheaper......or if you have someone coming from Taiwan, they have a Costco there too....just like the U.S.

Beachbunny

I was in Singapore last week and picked up some really nice ones (2 sets) in Robinsons in Centrepoint. I don't know if they do the same n Bangkok. Not that cheap but an outstanding range and variety of design (and prices !).

They also said they would make any extras for me as well so that may be something worth considering or at least asking in Robinsons.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else have problems with fitted sheets shrinking?

Pretty much every fitted sheet I've bought (and they weren't cheap!) has shrunk to the point where it's v difficult to use them anymore!

I wash them at 40 degrees - I assume not too hot.

Pasaya ... nice sheets available in different thread counts (you women really need to learn to ask the gay guys where to go shopping!)

Emporium

Paragon

Yeah I also use this one...quite expensive but really good quality, I also brought them here wiht me hehehe.

But compare to bedsheets here some are too expensive but not as good as mine.

Edited by thesunset75

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone any idea where I can buy what I call normal bed sheet sets, i.e. Fitted sheet, an upper flat sheet, pillow cases and Bolster covers to match.

I have searched extensively but cannot find anywhere that has an upper ( the flat ) sheet in a set.

Thanks in advance

HomeWorks and HomePro have them in sets or individuals.

We're new to Chiang Mai. I bought a nice set of bedsheets at KSK Central -- 50% off. Hubby and I figured out that the thing on the bed in the rental condo that looked like a quilt was actually a duvet (not common in US) and we finally got it stuffed into the duvet cover. The fitted bottom sheet and the pillow cases were familiar to us, but that long piece that looked like a sausage casing was a mystery. I went back to Central, looked at the display beds in the linens dept and learned all about bolster pillows. Still, the bed didn't look quite right, but at least we could use it.

A few days later the Thai maid visited for the first time and laughed at our bedmaking efforts. The duvet was all lumpy and we hadn't realized the bolster covers had little drawstring closures. She showed me how the duvet has little ribbons that you tie to the little ribbons on the inside of the duvet cover. Also, the extra material of the cover is placed at the foot of the bed, to facilitate tucking in the duvet. When she got done, it looked as pretty as the the display beds at Central! Hubby said it was worth it to pay her to clean the place just to get the bed looking right!

Still, we can't image not having a flat top sheet in warmer months. An American friend clued us into a shop in the southeast corner of Chang Moi and Chang Moi Kao, just east of the moat, kitty-corner from the rattan furniture shops. They have flat sheets, mostly in white, but a few solid colors, too. As I recall, the price was about 400 for white and 500 baht for the colored ones. So now we can have a "proper" Thai bed, with an American-style flat sheet sandwiched in for good measure.

Emporium

Paragon

Yeah I also use this one...quite expensive but really good quality, I also brought them here wiht me hehehe.

But compare to bedsheets here some are too expensive but not as good as mine.

Pasaya always has decent sales but they still are not cheap.

I buy the best I can find in the US at places like Tuesday Morning for about $100 and bring them with me.

I buy the fitted sheet and two pillow cases in a set.

Then I buy the upper sheet (same design and colour)

separately and

two more pillow case also separately. (I use 4 pillows).

Central Silom. Not inexpensive but they have deals and discounts on something most of the time.