Farang Polices At Highway Patrol

Bengt

The tourist police were told by labor dept. they do not need work permits as it is a special case in which foreigners are asked by Thai govt. to assist Thai govt. The tourist police volunteer program is a good idea and a successful program. In Chiang Mai, they work at tourist police station explaining to foreigners on treks safety procedures and emergency numbers. It is not dangerous and provides a service for foreigners, so what is wrong with that? It puzzles me that I read here that some people are all in a funk about these volunteers being wannabe cops, and these same people doing the complaining are wannabe immigration police, wanting to get all involved in other people's work permit situation. I think they really want to run around asking farangs to show them their visas and passports.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The level to which farang volunteer police get involved in 'investigations' does vary from province to province. In Phuket, none of the volunteers are involved in checking papers, checking car eg, checking tax or undercover work against farang. (We have done undercover work to obtain photographic evidence against the Thais who offer baby gibbon monkeys for photos in Patong. Despite obtaining clear photographic evidence of those involved, and despite passing this evidence 'up the line', it was never acted upon).

Clearly, (from previous TV threads), the 'professionalism' of each volunteer varies greatly, and no doubt there are some (many?) who volunteer for totally the wrong reasons. The Phuket Tourist Police Volunteers have just updated their rules and guidelines documents, and each volunteer must adhere to these rules which are intended to ensure that each volunteer is helping for exactly the right reasons! I'm not sure whether the Pattaya volunteers also have a rigid set of guidelines, (and how/if these are enforced).

Anyway, I do expect to see some of the Phuket volunteers being 'let go' in the near future, either because their work 'ethic' does not meet the minimum requirements, or simply because they cannot speak sufficient Thai, (which is a requirement of this volunteer work).

Simon

Proffesionalism of each volunteer? How can this be? "RULES"...what on earth are you on about? Why don't you look at the big picture? YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW BY WORKING WITHOUT A WORK PERMIT, Why don't you arrest yourself and turn yourself in to your boss?

The tourist police were told by labor dept. they do not need work permits as it is a special case in which foreigners are asked by Thai govt. to assist Thai govt.

Amazing that this apparently simple and straight-forward permission has never ever been documented or substantiated nor that this permission has ever been extended to any other entity, eg. volunteer teachers in government schools, performing the same assistance to the Thai government.

It puzzles me that I read here that some people are all in a funk about these volunteers being wannabe cops, and these same people doing the complaining are wannabe immigration police, wanting to get all involved in other people's work permit situation. I think they really want to run around asking farangs to show them their visas and passports.

Not that I'm "all in a funk" over the issue, I'd just like see that the factual and honest information regarding the programs is given out. If someone still chooses to ignore the potential consequences of working illegally, as said once again, up to them. It's always been about informed consent as far as my interest is concerned. What's been painfully obvious throughout these many threads is that sincerity to provide this informed consent has been woefully lacking, chosing instead obfuscation and unfounded speculation. What people do doesn't concern me as much as making sure they are at least aware and recognize what they are doing.

Having been stopped on several occasions with new car (red plates) by Thai police it would be helpfull if there was an English speaking policeman present to explain what I had been stopped for, luckily my Thai wife was with me and argued with officers who let us go on our way without any fines as we had not broken any rules and I had correct driving licence, road tax and insurance.

It is a crime to drive with red plates after 6pm.

I have been told that it is OK to drive with the red plates at night. What is illegal tho, is when you purchase a new motorcycle and pay cash for it (you don't get any plate) and whilst waiting for your plate to arrive (which can take many weeks, especially if you were stupid enuf to order a special number or something), then you can only ride the Bike in the daytime, afterdark....ur ass is grass. If you a buying a bike, doing it monthly payments, then you get the special plate and can ride whenever you like.

No it is not ok.According to the law You can only drive a car with red plates from sun-up to sun-down.

So what if my s(o)un stays up late partying , matter of interprtation ? 555

shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to reflect the correct grammar/spelling?

the plural of 'police' is 'police', not 'polices'. it seems from reading the thread that the op means 'police', and not 'policies'. 'policies' is the plural of 'policy', which is a statment of principals explaining or justifying actions (ie government policies).

i don't mind regional variations of english (ie english/american/singaporean/etc), but i've never heard of this one. perhaps someone could enlighten me.

You beat me to the punch on this fact the PENDANTS have missed for SO LONG , come on guys we are dependant on you to keep us all in line .

Incidentally , i come from a long line also-----------The one my father gave my mother !!!!!!!!!

Perhaps there is a place named 'At' and a highway which leads to 'At'. On this highway there could be a corrupt or ineffective police patrol.

If a Farang has been appointed to monitor (or police - verb) the situation, then the statement "Farang polices At highway patrol" is not incorrect.

Hope this helps.

To concur with your post , the spelling of 'Polices ' should be corrected to include the all important 'I' , i.e. "Policies' , to correct , one has to at least endeavor to be correct in the correction of ones point .

Amazing that this apparently simple and straight-forward permission has never ever been documented ....

If I want to cross Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok and there is a sign there saying "200 baht fine for crossing here", and a policeman waves me across, so I cross the road... have I broken the law? Has the policeman?

I never worked as volunteer police but did work with regular Thai police in my career and know several volunteers. They do not need work permits. They don't have any and they don't need them because they are working for the police, who are the ones enforcing the laws, at the request of the police. No police volunteer has ever been in trouble over this work permit thing and if you are not a police volunteer why are you worked up about it? I think this is a matter of petty jealousy, where these people are whining, "If I have to have a work permit, why doesn't that guy have to get a work permit?" The fact is right or wrong if it is okay with Thai police, then if some farang doesn't like it, t.s.