Suan Plu Dress Code

Hi Guys,

Next week I'll head down to the Suan Plu Immigration for my first time ever (it's a first time for everything).

In the past I've read that you should dress up before you go to thai immigration. Is this still the case?

What you guys wear when going to Suan Plu for visa matters?

Can I show up in my Crocodile Dundee outfit?

(I know I know but it's a kind of my personality)

Thanks!

GI Joe would probably more appropriate ....

No, really, don't put too much attention to your attire. If you're applying for an extension, the officers put more time into processing those hundreds of people as to see what you're wearing. Furthermore, the person putting the stamp in your passport might not see you at all.

If you're going for an interview with an officer, dress appropriate.

Edited by sniffdog

as long as your clothes are clean and you are not dressed for the beach or a sports field you are OK

(don't wear dirty clothes or vests ((tank-tops)) or shorts if you are trying to make a good impression)

Do shave and shower and be polite

I just wore jeans and a polo shirt as normal, but there were a lot of scruffy urchins wearing shorts and looking as they had just come off the beach and they didn't seem to have any trouble getting their visas either. Money is what you need and correct paperwork.

I just wore jeans and a polo shirt as normal, but there were a lot of scruffy urchins wearing shorts and looking as they had just come off the beach and they didn't seem to have any trouble getting their visas either. Money is what you need and correct paperwork.

Trust me ---- dirty nasty folks do get scrutinized far more than clean decently dressed people.

Thai officials like to be taken seriously. They believe they're doing a serious job; that's why they don't smile much. To dress like you're out to play is not respectful of their position. They're "kharatchakarn" - servants of the King. Anyway, you never know - you might have to go upstairs to see an officer for some reason. Best not to look out of place.

I once got shouted at and told not to come back in shorts at a DMV applying for a license (I got it but while being lectured)..

These were smart white, clean, pressed, dress shorts, with a white collared shirt.. To me that was tropical navy uniform type stuff but lack of long trousers seemed to REALLY upset the jobsworth in the office..

Ohh the little things that people get measured by..

I once got shouted at and told not to come back in shorts at a DMV applying for a license (I got it but while being lectured)..

These were smart white, clean, pressed, dress shorts, with a white collared shirt.. To me that was tropical navy uniform type stuff but lack of long trousers seemed to REALLY upset the jobsworth in the office..

Ohh the little things that people get measured by..

Hopefully you had only been livinLOS for a brief time, at the time.

Why would you not know how to appear in a public office?

Unfortunately I make the trip to Suan Plu several times a month if not more. During my time spent there I have seen the entire gamut of dress styles foreigners wear. They range from the scruffy, tattooed, pierced, wife beater sleeveless shirt, cargo shorts wearing crowd (with their gold encrusted thai-in-tow), all the way up the spectrum to well dressed people with jackets and ties, and everything in between.

I take it with a grain of salt whether these people smile or not and personally think they smile entirely too much. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the fact as one poster put it "they are kharatchakarn (ข้าราชการ) - which was mis represented as "servants of the King" and really means any government official. I think it has much more due to do with the sheer volume of poorly prepared people they deal with every day, asking the same inane questions, wanting an 'exception' to the rule for their "special circumstances".

To a degree, the better you dress the better you will be treated. I always wear clean jeans, and a nice dress shirt but I am polite and courteous to a fault. While I don't buy into people saying you should be one of the mindless foreign sheep in your color coordinated shirt and bracelet, nor do I adhere to the equally moronic stance that we are "guests here", a reasonably well presented persona is going to fare better.

Remember "Courtesy DOESN'T take a college degree"

What are we, a bunch of children here? Do we really need to ask this question?

If you want to be treated like a bum, dress like a bum.

Despite what some will say, it *does* make a difference how you are dressed, whether you realize it or not.

Dress does not need to be formal, or even business casual, but should be neat and clean. You should be neatly groomed as well.

I usually will wear nearly-new jeans and a long-sleeved dress shirt...more than once the officer at immigration has commented positively to my wife regarding my appearance.

It is taken as a show of respect for the officer and their position when you are well-groomed...it shows that you take them and their job seriously.

Whenever I deal with a government official, in any country, I want to do whatever I can to put the odds in my favor. Dress and grooming is one of the things that is absolutely in our control...why would you not take the extra bit of effort to present yourself in a positive manner?

But, up to you...

Edited by mgjackson69

Thai officials like to be taken seriously. They believe they're doing a serious job; that's why they don't smile much. To dress like you're out to play is not respectful of their position. They're "kharatchakarn" - servants of the King. Anyway, you never know - you might have to go upstairs to see an officer for some reason. Best not to look out of place.
They like to be taken seriously :D Like the 40+ year old "official" who on Tuesday was wearing his pink shirt, black trousers and hello kitty flip flops. :o

The person you are dealing with will have a better impression of you if you are dressed nice like anywhere. However it won't affect the decision of what visa services you require if you have the right paperwork to hand.

I've visited Suan Plu lot's of times and always wear shorts with t-shirt/shirt... never a problem. They don't give a monkeys how you are dressed... a smile is all that's needed :o

I've heard wearing nothing but a thong and sandals is appropriate if you're male and applying for a retirement visa. :o

Some immigration offices that I know of will NOT serve you if you show up in a vest (tank-top).

Some immigration offices that I know of will NOT serve you if you show up in a vest (tank-top).

As a public service, can you please nominate these offices jd - in case any of us are inclined to "go sloppy".

Immigration in Jomtien will send you home to change :o ((known for a fact))

Immigration in Phuket town has been reported to have told people never to show up dressed for the beach again ... ((rumor--- I didn't ever see or hear it on my many visits there .. but people were dressed appropriately when I went))