Uk Cancel Thaksin's Visa And Wife's

Jingthing

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If his stated intention is to fight his enemies, he can forget about asylum anywhere, apart from mental hospitals. Even Bahamas or Central African Republic would be very reluctant to provided a base for his political activities against Thailand.

He has completely lost his mind.

the Reuters article has been expanded with more insanity from the Weird One...

Exiled Thaksin vows fightback against Thai enemies

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose British visa was revoked last week, said on Monday he would leave Beijing for an undisclosed location and vowed to fight back against his political enemies.

"I will keep travelling. I'm leaving Beijing at the moment," Thaksin told Reuters by telephone from the Chinese capital.

He refused to say where he was going next but denied the destination was Manila, as rumoured.

He also denied Thai media reports he was building a 60 million yuan *307 Million Baht* mansion at a golf resort near Beijing.

Thaksin, who had been living in London after he and his wife, Potjaman, skipped bail in August to avoid corruption charges, said he scrapped his British asylum application to be free to carry on his political activities.

"I dropped the asylum bid because I don't think it is necessary. I don't like the term asylum. I want freedom because I am a champion of democracy. I don't like anything that restricts freedom," Thaksin said.

He was sentenced to two years in jail last month for breaking a conflict of interest law during his five years in office before he was ousted in a bloodless 2006 coup.

In Britain he generated headlines with the purchase of the Manchester City soccer club, which he recently sold to a group of investors from Abu Dhabi.

The billionaire telecoms tycoon said he would address supporters at future rallies in northeast Thailand, a region that helped give him two landslide election victories.

"I will phone in and talk to the people who love and have faith in me. I will make a longer speech and start naming names because they have pushed me into a corner," he said.

Earlier this month, Thaksin called into a rally in Bangkok and urged his supporters to bring him home, a move that angered his opponents.

The campaign against Thaksin is largely driven by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) -- an unelected group led by royalists, academics and businessmen -- while he continues to enjoy support in the countryside.

The PAD has occupied the official compound of the prime minister's offices since August, demanding the current government stacked with Thaksin loyalists step aside.

The crisis has meandered through a coup to elections and back to protests and shows no signs of resolution, to the dismay of investors worried about the lack of a functioning government with a global recession looming.

- Reuters / 2008-11-10

Edited by sriracha john

There's a copy of the actual (purported) e-mail here.

Their visa's have not been revoked.

Just more lies from the fazist PAD thugs.

Desperate moves by desperate people.

Well to me it sounds as authoritative as Winnie the Pooh.It's a hoax unless I'm much mistaken.I especially relish the quote from diplomatic observers couched in the usual semi-literate Nation house style.England has in reality on this matter only been "under the world community's watchful eyes" in PAD fevered imagination.

Having said that I doubt whether the British authorities would be happy with Thaksin actively engaged in overseas politicking, ie summoning followers to Manila etc.But overall it's amusing to see how easily some people are taken in.

I just love being away for 2 days and reading posts like this when the end-stage is already known. No need to wait to find out if you guys are wrong again... :D

Hmmmmmm......me too. One thing you can be sure about YH is that for all his inconsistency and flip-flopping around with irrelevant red-herrings trying to make excuses for Thaksin and co, he is consistent in getting wrong most calls on the present and future. Quite surprising for one who claims to understand Thai history so deeply and doesn't baulk from telling others how ignorant they are. :o Must be that Oxbridge educashun wot dunnit.

Not just amusing, but bloody hilarious, to see how how easily some people are taken in I'd say. :D

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose British visa was revoked last week, said on Monday he would leave Beijing for an undisclosed location and vowed to fight back against his political enemies.

"I will keep travelling. I'm leaving Beijing at the moment," Thaksin told Reuters by telephone from the Chinese capital.

He refused to say where he was going next but denied the destination was Manila, as rumoured.

He also denied Thai media reports he was building a 60 million yuan *307 Million Baht* mansion at a golf resort near Beijing.

Thaksin, who had been living in London after he and his wife, Potjaman, skipped bail in August to avoid corruption charges, said he scrapped his British asylum application to be free to carry on his political activities.

"I dropped the asylum bid because I don't think it is necessary. I don't like the term asylum. I want freedom because I am a champion of democracy. I don't like anything that restricts freedom," Thaksin said.

He was sentenced to two years in jail last month for breaking a conflict of interest law during his five years in office before he was ousted in a bloodless 2006 coup.

In Britain he generated headlines with the purchase of the Manchester City soccer club, which he recently sold to a group of investors from Abu Dhabi.

The billionaire telecoms tycoon said he would address supporters at future rallies in northeast Thailand, a region that helped give him two landslide election victories.

"I will phone in and talk to the people who love and have faith in me. I will make a longer speech and start naming names because they have pushed me into a corner," he said.

Earlier this month, Thaksin called into a rally in Bangkok and urged his supporters to bring him home, a move that angered his opponents.

The campaign against Thaksin is largely driven by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) -- an unelected group led by royalists, academics and businessmen -- while he continues to enjoy support in the countryside.

The PAD has occupied the official compound of the prime minister's offices since August, demanding the current government stacked with Thaksin loyalists step aside.

The crisis has meandered through a coup to elections and back to protests and shows no signs of resolution, to the dismay of investors worried about the lack of a functioning government with a global recession looming.

- Reuters / 2008-11-10

You numerically few, but vociferous, Thaksinophiles try and justify this one...............

The guy's going round the bend. He doesn't want political asylum for sure, but needs mental asylum. :D:D

Like we always knew...............he is his own worst enemy.

And what's the betting he is on his way to Manila as he just denied he was going there? :o

The guy really has lost his marbles if he thinks any country will sit back and let him wage his personal vendetta against his "enemies" from within their border. That's too diplomatically hot even for the Chinese. Perhaps Burma is a good place for him. He's probably in their good books but not sure how the self proclaimed "champion of democracy" could live under a military junta. It didn't appeal much to him last time he had the opportunity. Maybe he could go to Cambodia. He'd be able to compare notes and strategies with a number of other high profile runners. But he'd be too vulnerable in either country and Thaksin's not noted for his bravery. That just leaves the West Indies or Africa. Either place has lots of dark skinned people for hire as maids and drivers so it will be just like being back home in Thailand for them.

Exiled former Thai PM Thaksin vows to fight enemies

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose British visa was revoked last week, said on Monday he would leave Beijing for an undisclosed location and vowed to fight back against his political enemies.

"I will keep travelling. I'm leaving Beijing at the moment," Thaksin told Reuters by telephone from the Chinese capital, denying Thai media reports that his destination was Manila.

Thaksin, who had been living in London after he and his wife, Potjaman, skipped bail in August to avoid corruption charges, said he had scrapped his UK asylum application to be free to carry on his political activities.

Source: Reuters - 10 November 2008

Did he leave China from his own free will, OR WAS HE KICKED OUT.

BANGKOK (Reuters) -

- Reuters / 2008-11-10

When will this bastard stop his lying? Champion of democracy? Does not like anything that restricts freedom? I wonder how many TV members will actually believe this miserable little maggots words.

THAILAND: Press freedom 'eroded under Thaksin' source: http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article-sout...p?parentid=5446

...eighteen human rights defenders have been murdered since Prime Minister Thaksin came to power in 2001. Most were killed after raising public concern about economic development activities by individuals or companies.

Source: http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2006/01/18/thaila12251.htm

Granted, these are only two examples and a Google search will bring about thousands of these headings.

Thaksin champions nothing except himself. :o The word asylum fits his perfect...he is totally insane!

Exiled former Thai PM Thaksin vows to fight enemies

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose British visa was revoked last week, said on Monday he would leave Beijing for an undisclosed location and vowed to fight back against his political enemies.

"I will keep travelling. I'm leaving Beijing at the moment," Thaksin told Reuters by telephone from the Chinese capital, denying Thai media reports that his destination was Manila.

Thaksin, who had been living in London after he and his wife, Potjaman, skipped bail in August to avoid corruption charges, said he had scrapped his UK asylum application to be free to carry on his political activities.

Source: Reuters - 10 November 2008

Did he leave China from his own free will, OR WAS HE KICKED OUT.

I would think he left of his own free will. he is still free to travel to destinations like China where there's little conscience regarding this distasteful little human being. He could still piss off the Chinese if he continues with his crusade.

However he is probably not welcome in most democracies, one only has to look at his choices of exile.

Oh the humiliation! Banned from a 'mature democracy', the problem with countries like Cambodia for Thaksin is they're just not glamorous enough, he needs to go shopping in Harrods, etc, Phnom Penh just doesn't cut it in that respect.

Very angry and going to 'name names', will NBT be allowed to broadcast this?

Exiled former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has dropped his bid for asylum in the UK. Skip related content

Related photos / videos Thaksin Drops British Asylum Bid The former Manchester City owner has also been told a similar application to take refuge in the Philippines will be denied.

Mr Shinawatra, who has been sentenced in his absence to two years in jail in his native Thailand, saw his British visa revoked last week.

Currently in Beijing, he confirmed to reporters he will "keep travelling" and vowed to fight his political enemies at future rallies in the north-east of Thailand.

He also refused to confirm his next destination, but ruled out Manila, as had been rumoured.

The tycoon had been living in London after he and his wife, Potjaman, skipped bail in August to avoid corruption charges.

He said he ditched his British asylum application in order to focus on his political activities.

"I dropped the asylum bid because I don't think it is necessary. I don't like the term asylum.

"I want freedom because I am a champion of democracy. I don't like anything that restricts freedom," he said in a phone interview from the Chinese capital.

He was found guilty of helping his wife buy state-owned land while in office.

The billionaire telecoms tycoon's profile in British life has dipped after he sold Manchester City on to a group of investors from Abu Dhabi.

Sky News

The prospects for Thaksin's children to marry well must have just taken a severe nose dive.

When Thaksin realises just how much his actions have hurt his family he's going to get angry, blame everyone but himself and strike out at anyone.......and then things are going to get real nasty.

Wouldn't you think with a few billion dollars you'd just walk away and try to live happily ever after ? The kids must think dad's a bit crazy for ruining their lives.

r2364600021.jpg

"Hello... is this the Togo Embassy? How mut wisa cost to stay dere?"

Thaksin drops UK asylum bid

Thaksin Shinawatra, the former Thai prime minister, has said he is giving up his fight for asylum in the UK after the government in London revoked his visa last week.

Speaking from Beijing the exiled former leader, who was ousted in a bloodless coup in 2006, said he would continue to fight against his political enemies at home in Thailand.

Speaking by phone to the Reuters news agency, Thaksin said that by abandoning plans to return to the UK and scrapping his asylum application there, he would be free to resume political activities.

"I dropped the asylum bid because I don't think it is necessary. I don't like the term asylum. I want freedom because I am a champion of democracy. I don't like anything that restricts freedom," he said.

It is unclear as yet why the British government revoked the visas for Thaksin and his wife.

Thaksin added that while he had been living in Beijing in recent days, he planned to move on to another undisclosed location.

Last month a court in Thailand sentenced Thaksin to two years in jail after finding him guilty of abusing his powers while prime minister.

The crisis has shown no signs of resolution, to the dismay of Thai investors worried about the lack of a functioning government with a global recession looming.

-Al Jazeera / 2008-11-10

Edited by sriracha john

They push me into the corner : ex-PM Thaksin

Convicted ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra whose entry visa to England was revoked last week will from now on fight back against his political enemies because they pushed him into the corner. :D

Thaksin told Reuters news agency that he in Beijing, China and is leaving Beijing for an undisclosed location.

He said he will fight back against his political enemies who pushed him into the corner.

This is the first time he talked to the media after England cancelled his visa and his wife's.

"I will keep traveling. I'm leaving Beijing at the moment," Thaksin told Reuters by telephone from the Chinese capital.

He refused to say where he was going next but denied the destination was Manila, as rumored. :o

:D :D :(:D

Thaksin who is convicted and sentenced to two years in jail for abusing of power and his wife for tax evasion.

Thaksin told Reuters, "I will phone in and talk to the people who love and have faith in me. I will make a longer speech and start naming names because they have pushed me into a corner," he said.

The Nation

The gloves are off! I think this is the beginning of a new chapter.

It will be interesting to see where he rocks up next. :D

What goes around comes around!

Edited by ratcatcher

AH yes, forced gypsies going to undisclosed destinations.

Undisclosed so the extradition requests take longer to find them.

Will the children ever know where mommy and daddy are calling from?

It's so pathetic. he could spend maybe 1 year in a luxurious cell,

with guards bribed to let ANYTHING come his way, from filet mignon to mia noi,

and not even Potty to look in and say no no Tacky. But he would rather do a runner.

Granted he MAY know that the OTHER cases coming up will get him MUCH more time in stir...

Apparently the son is too stupid to even have a USA school bribed into accepting him.

Togo School of Business maybe will take him in.

Daddy's rich I must be a good fraternity pledge promise!!!

Yes, Thaky will blame 'Thailand's Elite' for Britain's decision...

And he will name names...

well that sounds more like name 'targets on the ground here'.

Bet anyone he names steps up security a LOT shortly after.

There is ONE name he better never name or he is toast.

If he takes up this route, I don't give him a long shelf life....

There is only so much insurrection and manipulation the powers that be will put up with.

Historically all those ousted by coups in Thailand left and stayed quiet for a good time,

and most discretely came back and stayed quietly in their land. Few if any ran their mouths,

or made threats, and several were essentially rehabilitated into respectable Thai society.

Tacky is not being even vaguely being discrete. Au contrair, he is being even more aggressive,

and aggression usually begats counter-aggression. If he assumes that ALL the aggression will be

JUST going to be in Thailand, he may be rudely surprised.

Like Samak being surprised in Texas airport with complaining protesters.

Hello Mossad, we'd like a favor... some one needs a discrete warning...

Yes, yes , soil his night clothes but good. Yes, yes, a severe word to the unwise.

Thank's where would you like the 2 million kosher chickens sent?

Hypothetical, but Thacky is pushing them into new territory...

How much does the Willow bend after the Oak has snapped in twain?

Edited by animatic

I for one love that he will 'name names'. Most likely it will be people that aren't obviously in the spotlight currently and that will resent it a lot. Perhaps people that might not be aware that he his so upset with them. Fun times ahead indeed...

PM pours money into a Thaksin project

By The Nation

On Monday, Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat injected Bt6.5 billion into the communitybased SML (small, medium, large) project - one of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's populist policies that were hugely popular at the grassroots level.

Somchai, along with Deputy Prime Minister Dr Olarn Chaipravat launched the project at Lanna Technology University in Chiang Mai's Doi Saket district.

The PM said he was keeping this project alive because he believed it had proven useful as it fostered growth and development in rural areas.

"Every satang is used transparently with no politician benefiting personally from the project," he said.

LIKE <deleted> IT IS added by marshbags !!!!!!!! :o

He said the government would allocate more money to about 10,000 villages by the end of this year.

Commenting on the political crisis, Somchai insisted that it would not obstruct national development because people's well being remained the government's main priority.

After Somchai transferred the funds to the Government Savings Bank and the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives, 76 lamps were released into the sky to mark this goodwill gesture, which will benefit 27,699 villages and communities in all 76 provinces across the country.

UNQUOTE

Unbelievable, extraction of the urine at it,s most forceful

NFC

I posted this here rather than do a search for a more suitable thread, also this one is ongoing at the present time and this is just one small example of / as to why he is in this position of exile

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Oh the humiliation! Banned from a 'mature democracy', the problem with countries like Cambodia for Thaksin is they're just not glamorous enough, he needs to go shopping in Harrods, etc, Phnom Penh just doesn't cut it in that respect.

This is now going to get very very nasty and maybe quite quickly. It also places his government in a difficult position. They can no longer really sit on the fence as he now wants action. Things could become quite unstable.

Only today I was talking to a senior government employee who was openly talking about we must wait for the next government as this one doesnt have long. The question though is open, of what persuasion will the next government be? It is nice and easy sometimes to cheerlead or ridicule Thaksin but there could be events about to unfold that will be sobering to all.

Thaksin's outburst about being a lover of freedom and democracy may be a calculated call or it may be bordering on (temporary) insanity or possibly even both. Certainly this guy is extremely angry and he aint going to hold back.

This "naming names" business is a non-starter.

First, no country would allow such activities form its soil, second, at UDD rallies they were never shy to name names, didn't have any effect whatsoever. Whatever he himself decides to disclose would carry no weight either - everyone would say he's just telling porkies out of envy and frustration.

It would be fun to watch for a while, but this bee doesn't have any sting.

The world is full of deposed dictators in exile - no one ever had been able to generate any interest by telling stories of corruption. It doesn't work that way.

Self-inflicted wound

Thaksin made one big mistake: He underestimated the importance of the deep-rooted, close ties between the UK and Thailand. The British government's decision to revoke the visas of Thaksin and his wife Potjaman is a blow to his personal life and more importantly to his political strategy. Although the order relates only to their red-covered diplomatic passports, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for the convicted former PM Potjaman to apply for entry to the UK using the other passports in their possession. Thaksin and Potjaman have not been declared persona non grata by London, but the cancellation of their visas comes close to that definition. Their chance of entering any British port is now very slim. So is the opportunity for them to be granted political asylum, a status he sought from the British Home Office in August. Thaksin knew very well that he could not afford to upset the British government by making any political moves while his application for political asylum was being processed in London. So he decided to send his message to his red-shirted loyalists at Rajamangala stadium on Nov 1 from Hong Kong. The one big mistake he made was to underestimate the importance of the deep-rooted, close ties between the UK and Thailand. Living the quiet life in London after the coup and his conviction in a Thai court was not impossible. Instead, his political activities were making the British government increasingly uncomfortable and putting a strain on its relations with Thailand. The best way out for the British government was to kill off his bid for political asylum as soon as possible, and that was made possible by the decision to revoke their visas. Now Thaksin has to find a new base overseas that will allow him to keep sending messages to his supporters in Thailand. However, he will have to think very carefully about his family ties as he and his wife can no longer visit their children in London, if the children decide to stay there. The British government realised the importance of its relations with Thailand at all levels and knew that should not be jeopardised by

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=131927

Fanciful crap. Deep rooted ties between Thailand and the UK indeed. Conveniently forgotten the UK's attitude in 1945? There is a socialist Government in the UK and they won't be at all impressed with the treatment afforded the majority of the Thai peoples by power mad, avaricious panjandrums nor the repression in the Muslim South. Where much of the money donated to assist Thais after the tsunami went hasn't been forgotten either. IMO this is a piece of typical Thai self delusive promotion right up there with the wish to host the World Cup or was it the Winter Olympics?

I very much doubt that any door closed without his knowledge. As I stated earlier, I am certain both he and his lawyers knew the possible consequences of leaving England. If you are, in fact, applying for asylum you are asking for the protection of the country. Once you leave, you are basically saying you don't need the protection of the country any longer. Most countries in a similar position would be either revoke the visas or deny the application for asylum or both.

He is very far from being without options. Britain may just have been a little too profile and problematic.

I am only speculating, but this is a man who is quite bright and he has managed to stay a step ahead of things for a long time. I might also add that the money frozen in Thailand is certainly not the bulk of his fortune, which is no doubt stashed in some very safe places and far from the reach of the Thai officials.

You're wrong on each and every count, and like so many others on this forum do not understand the mindset of the Thai With Big Money who has (and depressingly, despite all of this, always will) never understand that other cultures have a totally different Value System, insofaras, money might be God here, but in the more mature democracies (as Taksin himself put it) realise that what is short term for a workable way of conducting affairs within one's country is unacceptable in many others. Oh, and his lawyers were ignorant of this fact also.

Britain a 'little too low profile and problematic'? What on earth are you talking about? If Britain rejects him, so does the rest of the EU, US and any commonwealth countries. Not to mention that those aspirant countries to a workable democracy, would show themselves severely lacking, and for what? How many baht, irrespective of currency exchange rates :o would compensate for that.

And although loath to disavow you of your perception of Taksin being 'quite bright', again I would say your perception is in Western terms. He's a pooyai thug who simply did not/could not grasp that Western culture would not/most certainly could not, put up with this kind of ridiculous hubris, along with the fact that you have not a clue as to the Thai Way of not parting with a solitary satang if, given the aforegoing, they think they would have a very good chance of getting it all back.

This "naming names" business is a non-starter.

First, no country would allow such activities form its soil, second, at UDD rallies they were never shy to name names, didn't have any effect whatsoever. Whatever he himself decides to disclose would carry no weight either - everyone would say he's just telling porkies out of envy and frustration.

It would be fun to watch for a while, but this bee doesn't have any sting.

The world is full of deposed dictators in exile - no one ever had been able to generate any interest by telling stories of corruption. It doesn't work that way.

There are names no one want to name......

Don't know maybe Harrods has already a webshop.

There is Internet in Phnom Penh.

Home Office bars Thaksin Shinawatra from returning to Britain:

A Whitehall source confirmed yesterday that the Home Office had revoked the couple’s visas under rules banning entry to those convicted of offences that can carry a jail sentence under British law.
The visa revocation puts an end to attempts by Thailand to extradite Thaksin from London. Indeed, it may have been a desire to avoid a complicated and politically charged extradition process that motivated the Home Office to take the procedurally much simpler step of revoking the visas – making Thaksin, at a stroke, someone else’s problem.

PM pours money into a Thaksin project

By The Nation

On Monday, Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat injected Bt6.5 billion into the communitybased SML (small, medium, large) project - one of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's populist policies that were hugely popular at the grassroots level.

Somchai, along with Deputy Prime Minister Dr Olarn Chaipravat launched the project at Lanna Technology University in Chiang Mai's Doi Saket district.

The PM said he was keeping this project alive because he believed it had proven useful as it fostered growth and development in rural areas.

"Every satang is used transparently with no politician benefiting personally from the project," he said.

LIKE <deleted> IT IS added by marshbags !!!!!!!! :o

He said the government would allocate more money to about 10,000 villages by the end of this year.

Commenting on the political crisis, Somchai insisted that it would not obstruct national development because people's well being remained the government's main priority.

After Somchai transferred the funds to the Government Savings Bank and the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives, 76 lamps were released into the sky to mark this goodwill gesture, which will benefit 27,699 villages and communities in all 76 provinces across the country.

UNQUOTE

Unbelievable, extraction of the urine at it,s most forceful

NFC

I posted this here rather than do a search for a more suitable thread, also this one is ongoing at the present time and this is just one small example of / as to why he is in this position of exile

marshbags

Ah yes. ELECTION COMING!!

Release the government portion of the Issan bribe money.

Betchya squat goes to the south now....

No it need not go in politicians pockets directly,

it goes in their control networks pockets,

so THEY can control the little people.

The Kamnan Benevolent Fund just sprang into use.

This of course WILL be directed to make best use of PPP districts players.

Knob heads one and all.

Home Office bars Thaksin Shinawatra from returning to Britain:
A Whitehall source confirmed yesterday that the Home Office had revoked the couple’s visas under rules banning entry to those convicted of offences that can carry a jail sentence under British law.
The visa revocation puts an end to attempts by Thailand to extradite Thaksin from London. Indeed, it may have been a desire to avoid a complicated and politically charged extradition process that motivated the Home Office to take the procedurally much simpler step of revoking the visas – making Thaksin, at a stroke, someone else’s problem.

CLEAN!