What Is Your Opinion Of The Expat Scene In Thailand?

sassienie

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they are their sons or grandsons. It is presumptious to assume otherwise. This is stereotyiping to the extreme. Same goes for old fat farangs with a beauty on their arm. She may be his daughter or granddaughter. Where do people get off with assumptions and presumptions?

I have a good friend living in Hat Yai who has a 21 yo daughter. He's over 60. He is afraid to hold hands with his daughter or even be seen in public alone with her just because of these misconceptions. It's a sad world.

Maybe they are their sons or grandsons. It is presumptious to assume otherwise. This is stereotyiping to the extreme. Same goes for old fat farangs with a beauty on their arm. She may be his daughter or granddaughter. Where do people get off with assumptions and presumptions?

I have a good friend living in Hat Yai who has a 21 yo daughter. He's over 60. He is afraid to hold hands with his daughter or even be seen in public alone with her just because of these misconceptions. It's a sad world.

Went swimming with my 12 year old daughter the other day. Thais saw us, stared at us the whole time and spoke to each other "Farang chob dek..."... :o

Went swimming with my 12 year old daughter the other day. Thais saw us, stared at us the whole time and spoke to each other "Farang chob dek..."... :o

Take your wife next time. or failing that jus tell them to shut the f*** up and mind their own business!

Take your wife next time. or failing that jus tell them to shut the f*** up and mind their own business!

Exactly James. What would these people do if they were in their own country swimming with their daughter and a group of people were say that they like chikdren? Why do people make exeptions with Thailand? I'd go up to them and tell them to shut the f*** up or they'd get a punch on the nose. If you need your wife to do it for you then you're a woose.

As for the guy in Had Yai - he is very sad not wanting to be seen in public with his daughter. He must look like an old pervert.

Exactly James. What would these people do if they were in their own country swimming with their daughter and a group of people were say that they like chikdren? Why do people make exeptions with Thailand? I'd go up to them and tell them to shut the f*** up or they'd get a punch on the nose. If you need your wife to do it for you then you're a woose.

As for the guy in Had Yai - he is very sad not wanting to be seen in public with his daughter. He must look like an old pervert.

I meant take your wife so these assuming people will realise you are married and just by chance the girl is your daughter. Some people need it spelled out ya know in black and white, in the sand they require.

I meant take your wife so these assuming people will realise you are married and just by chance the girl is your daughter. Some people need it spelled out ya know in black and white, in the sand they require.

Yeah but his latest wife is 18, 3 years younger than his daughter !!

Edited by Maigo6

Yeah but his latest wife is 18, 3 years younger than his daughter !!

M.R. Go6, leave the comedy to me mate, it doesn't suit you.

These people=me would never hear something like that in my home country.

You know, it's strange. I've seen less than a dozen expats here in Lopburi in the past year, but each time I receive scarcely a smile, must less any conversation, after going out of my way to say hello. Perplexing - I don't get it.

Edited by Lopburi99

You know, it's strange. I've seen less than a dozen expats here in Lopburi in the past year, but each time I receive scarcely a smile, must less any conversation, after going out of my way to say hello. Perplexing - I don't get it.

I was in Udon Thani Big C a few weeks back, and a Farang there walked past me and said to his GF " Look it's a Farang ".

Honestly. :o

I was in Udon Thani Big C a few weeks back, and a Farang there walked past me and said to his GF " Look it's a Farang ".

...be patient. It must be one of the "Live on the field without mirrors for decades and come once a year to town farangs".

Nothing against them!

...be patient. It must be one of the "Live on the field without mirrors for decades and come once a year to town farangs".

Nothing against them!

Met one of them many years ago, appr. 18, in Lamai. He was welsh, from the french part of Switzerland. A farmer. He told me, that he lived for years somewhere in the middle of Southern Thailand with his wife. A simple hut was his home. He worked at his fields every day. Nobody could speak english overthere, but he spoke pakthai, the southern dialect fluently, like french. He was an agricultural expert. The locals accepted him like one of their own. Nice guy, what happened to him, I do not know.

I don't really frequent any expat scene, though I have some expat friends. When I run across the random foreigner, I don't send out bad vibes, but I don't usually initiate any kind of interaction. I think there are a lot of strange types here, and many persons with very low self-esteem- they're usually the types who can't stand eye contact.

On the other hand, I sometimes wish I did have a more off-putting aura. I don't appreciate the following types of behaviours (all of which foreign strangers have exhibited to me):

1. Begging on the BTS

2. Begging in a Black Canyon Restaurant

3. Accosting me on the street as some person 'who played a trick on me.'

4. Asking me (as I'm walking in front of a mall) how I manage to make a living here and how to get a job

5. Asking me on the street where they should go (for various touristy/nightlife needs)

i hate seeing fat ass old expats holding hands with thai boys... that are young enough to be there sons or even there grandsons...

STOP IT~!!!! Dirty *(*&^%^$$%#

most of these deviants can be found in Pattaya, it's a shocking view. It also gives a bad name to everybody else in town.

what cha saying is true......but when i see something like this in a lotus food court in pattaya....the stereo type is right there...

"öld fat farang getting fed by a kid in his 16s while touching his legs and giving the poor kid the most perverted looks"

i couldn`t think for second, HEY.........maybe thats his son or grandson?????? chai mai???

I used to live in Pattaya and once saw some old creep holding hands with a Thai boy that was probably 8 years old. I know this was not his grandson or nephew or whatever. I worked in law enforcement and anyone who has, as well as people who have lived here awhile, would be able to figure this scene out. I followed them back to his condo and reported this to local police. (I was new in Thailand then.) It is a shame, but the fact is rhe reality of this country is such that any farang man with a young child, male or female, is going to be viewed with suspicion unless a Thai woman is also there or the guy is known to be father of the child or in some way innocent. My girlfriend's young niece lived with us for a long time and she called me Dad, as she had no real father. But I still felt very self-conscious holding her hand in public. And despite my own situation, I still feel suspicious whenever I see farangs and little Thai kids. And I think most people here feel the same way if they are honest with themselves. The ironic thing in all this is the vast majority of child sex abuse here is commited by Thais, but noone is supicious when they see a Thai man with a young Thai kid, of course. if someone, Thai or farang, suspects an innocent farang of being a pedophile, it is not their fault but the fault of the sicko farangs who molest children and the sicko Thais who traffic in them.

We are all opposed to pedophilia. I must remind us of this forum rule,

1) You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing prostitution (including bargirls and barboys), referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

Not as to children. But, I gave caring what others thought of the way I live my life a long time ago. Strangest thing none of them ever paid my bills.

So the want to be sick puppies in viewing me it's their problem not mine. I dont need nor desire thier acceptance.

In the end I will answer for how I conduct my life.

QUOTE (junki3korean @ 2008-11-21 09:56:09)

i hate seeing fat ass old expats holding hands with thai boys... that are young enough to be there sons or even there grandsons...

most of these deviants can be found in Pattaya, it's a shocking view. It also gives a bad name to everybody else in town.

Gives a bad name to the old predatory deviants with young female hookers in their teens and early twenties young enough to be their granddauhters.

Pataya is a place full of deviants. The funny thing is that they all think there's nothing wrong with it as all their deviant friends are doing the same.

QUOTE (junki3korean @ 2008-11-21 09:56:09)

Gives a bad name to the old predatory deviants with young female hookers in their teens and early twenties young enough to be their granddauhters.

Pataya is a place full of deviants. The funny thing is that they all think there's nothing wrong with it as all their deviant friends are doing the same.

If all participants are willing and over 18 it is really no one else's business.

Looks like all the Puritans didn't die out after all. :o

And certainly I stay away from beer bars where I see expats with a big L on their forehead hanging out telling how successful they are, and bragging about their sexual escapades, sitting in their short pants, singlets and slippers, slurping their Singha. Its just not my style.

I prefer Heineken too, but I don't have an "L' on my forehead. What is up with that? :DOh another Heineken drinker who thinks that he drink beer. You should learn to drink real beer like Duvel, Hoegaerden or a Leffe. :D

Hey man, I feel this as an insult. :o I'm Dutch and Heineken is what I love. The taste of Heineken here is not so good, because the use different water in the progress of the making.

Chiang Mai has a vibrant expat scene. You can take it or leave it. There is a big expat club, a Thai-expat friends group, lots of pubs to meet friends, other activities. A friend from the writer's group found me at the pool this week. We had a record number of attendees at the ThaiVisa party at Tusker's Saturday night. If you are sociable, you can find friends here. If you are not sociable, that is fine, too.

I meet an expat occasionally who is soured on Thailand, and I kind of ignore such people. My partner is shy about meeting new expats, but we are having a big party for friends tonight. Like Gary A mentions, many of us have Thai partners who have family and friends from the community, and that suffices for them.

I have to agree, as a bar owner in chiang mai,i find the ex-pat scene here very good,we hardly ever hear any negativity in conversations round the tables,only lots of laughing, :o hooray

And certainly I stay away from beer bars where I see expats with a big L on their forehead hanging out telling how successful they are, and bragging about their sexual escapades, sitting in their short pants, singlets and slippers, slurping their Singha. Its just not my style.

I prefer Heineken too, but I don't have an "L' on my forehead. What is up with that? :DOh another Heineken drinker who thinks that he drink beer. You should learn to drink real beer like Duvel, Hoegaerden or a Leffe. :D

Hey man, I feel this as an insult. :o I'm Dutch and Heineken is what I love. The taste of Heineken here is not so good, because the use different water in the progress of the making.

Pound to a pinch of pigshlt he's Belgian - those beers are.

UG, I think the big L signifies Learner.

I was a dirty young man. I never changed :D

Chiang Mai has a vibrant expat scene. You can take it or leave it. There is a big expat club, a Thai-expat friends group, lots of pubs to meet friends, other activities. A friend from the writer's group found me at the pool this week. We had a record number of attendees at the ThaiVisa party at Tusker's Saturday night. If you are sociable, you can find friends here. If you are not sociable, that is fine, too.

I meet an expat occasionally who is soured on Thailand, and I kind of ignore such people. My partner is shy about meeting new expats, but we are having a big party for friends tonight. Like Gary A mentions, many of us have Thai partners who have family and friends from the community, and that suffices for them.

I have to agree, as a bar owner in chiang mai,i find the ex-pat scene here very good,we hardly ever hear any negativity in conversations round the tables,only lots of laughing, :o hooray

As a bar owner you are required to be sociable because of business interests. Anyone who is soured with Thailand is not beneficial to the atmosphere that you try to create in your bar.

Any parties or social functions that you provide for clicks, customers and those connected with business associates is purely for reasons of increasing profits and expanding your business.

This thread is about the general attitudes of the average ex-pats with regards to their fellow peers living in Thailand, other than entertainment venue provider, customer relationships.

Edited by sassienie

The truth can never be an insult :D .

I like to have other expats around to have a chat with.

Two groups of people that I avoid:

1. People who always come out with the old chesnut "If you don't like it, you can go home!!!!" Please.

2. People who bang on about "dirty old farang sexpats". Let them get on with it. They're not harming you. Each to their own...

Other than that I'm happy to have a beer or chat with newcomers. I'm a social animal.