รัฐบาลพลัดถิ่น

DavidHouston

รัฐบาลพลัดถิ่น – government in exile

From Matichon:

การที่ พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณจะไปตั้งรัฐบาลพลัดถิ่นในบาฮามาสก็อาจจะเป็นการยากที่จะส่งตัวกลับมาดำเนินคดีเพราะบาฮามาสกับไทยไม่ได้ทำสนธิสัญญาส่งผู้ร้ายข้ามแดนและไม่มีความสัมพันธ์กันเลย

If Pol. Col. Thaksin were to set up a government in exile in the Bahamas, it would be difficult to extradite him to face justice because the Bahamas and Thailand do not have an extradition treaty and, (in fact,) do not have diplomatic relations (at all).

Can anyone confirm my understanding? Thanks.

From Matichon:

การที่ พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณจะไปตั้งรัฐบาลพลัดถิ่นในบาฮามาสก็อาจจะเป็นการยากที่จะส่งตัวกลับมาดำเนินคดีเพราะบาฮามาสกับไทยไม่ได้ทำสนธิสัญญาส่งผู้ร้ายข้ามแดนและไม่มีความสัมพันธ์กันเลย

If Pol. Col. Thaksin were to set up a government in exile in the Bahamas, it would be difficult to extradite him to face justice because the Bahamas and Thailand do not have an extradition treaty and, (in fact,) do not have diplomatic relations (at all).

You're right David, I remember พลัดถิ่น in a song title by Jintala Poonlarp สาวอิสานพลัดถิ่น about female Issan migrant workers working in Bangkok far from home.

From Matichon:

Dear Khun Davidhouston,

Government in exile = รัฐบาลพลัดถิ่น

I got the meaning from the one online website which give the definition of "รัฐบาลพลัดถิ่น" = ระหว่างที่สงครามยังดำเนินอยู่ ประเทศคู่สงครามหนึ่งอาจถูกกองทัพของประเทศฝ่ายศัตรูเข้ายึดครอง ในสถานการณ์เช่นนั้น หัวหน้ารัฐบาล หรือรัฐมนตรีของประเทศที่ถูกยึดครองอำนาจ อาจไปจัดตั้งรัฐบาลขึ้นชั่วคราว ในดินแดนของประเทศพันธมิตรหนึ่ง ซึ่งยินยอมให้ทำเช่นนั้นที่ตั้งขึ้นเป็นการชั่วคราว (During war between two countries, one got seized and take control the whole country by another one. In this kind of situation the leader of the country that has been took over can set up the new government in the alliance country temporarily.

In Thaksin case, eventhough there's no war involve but we also use this word to recite to the situation. As Bahamas allow Thaksin to set up the government in exile to call for his justice from the world.

Nice Day,

Kroo Ae (My Thai Language School)

For some reason, the notion of a convicted thief and unrepentant "extrajudicial mass executioner" setting up a "government-in-exile" in the Bahamas (after handing over suitcases full of our tax money) doesn't quite equate with, say, the Dalai Lama setting up a government-in-exile in Dharamsala. :o

Edited by mangkorn