Perimeter Block Wall Construction Methods:

Hi all,

So all the perimeter walls I see in Thailand or recommended on thaivisa are all the poured-post-with-top-cap type construction as seen in the pic below (from this site: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/infoperimeterwall.htm). This utilizes really thin and narrow blocks. The method I see done here in the States is just straight stacked 8x8x16" cinderblock with no poured posts, just rebar sent up through the cavities at intervals.

Is the Thai method only used because it's cheaper?? or is it somehow better in the climate? It seems like setting up the forms for the poured posts, and making block sections beforehand (necessitating the akward cutting of blocks) would be very labor intensive and not a very strong structure (cuz it's so thin!) in the end. Would a pure cinderblock wall with no posts be very much more expensive or more stable? Does Thailand have a wide block like cinderblock?

I want to help my lady make an easy wall without a lot of measuring, making plum, or having to hire out workers skilled in poured posts, which is why I was thinking of just going with a wider free-standing block. thanks :o

DSC00034.jpg

Edited by Svenn

Hi all,

So all the perimeter walls I see in Thailand or recommended on thaivisa are all the poured-post-with-top-cap type construction as seen in the pic below (from this site: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/infoperimeterwall.htm). This utilizes really thin and narrow blocks. The method I see done here in the States is just straight stacked 8x8x16" cinderblock with no poured posts, just rebar sent up through the cavities at intervals.

Is the Thai method only used because it's cheaper?? or is it somehow better in the climate? It seems like setting up the forms for the poured posts, and making block sections beforehand (necessitating the akward cutting of blocks) would be very labor intensive and not a very strong structure (cuz it's so thin!) in the end. Would a pure cinderblock wall with no posts be very much more expensive or more stable? Does Thailand have a wide block like cinderblock?

I want to help my lady make an easy wall without a lot of measuring, making plum, or having to hire out workers skilled in poured posts, which is why I was thinking of just going with a wider free-standing block. thanks :o

DSC00034.jpg

You could go with a deeper footing and a 13kg block. The builders don't like them because of the weight though.

Just go with the post and narrow block method. Had a 180m wall just built like this. It works. Skim with cement render and paint or go with a coloured render. You can get a nice earth coloured render. Looks nice.

Even skilled labour is cheap in Thailand. It's the cost of materials these days that's shoved construction costs way, way up.