Problems With Retirement Extension

My retirement visa expires on 08/01/2009 (will be 2nd.extension)

on my last 90 day report in sept.i asked samui immigration when i needed to top up funds and was told one month before visa expires and today i returned to their office to find out latest i could transfer funds (rotten exchange rates the reason) and was told it was too late, funds have to be seasoned 3 months before.So now i have to decide what to do next.

First thought was to apply for marraige visa but i cant show regular income from overseas(money tied up in term deposit)

2nd thought was go for a tourist visa(60day+30day)multiple entry.Does anyone know(1)where i have to go to get this and do i have to show money in the bank to qualify and if so how much.

help would be appreciated.

Can you show any income with a letter from your countries consulate. With that you wouldn't need to meet the 3 month requirement. You just need to show enough income with the bank deposit to equal the 800,000.

If you can't do that then you could get a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

See page 11 case 7.23 of police order for info on extension.

Link: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf

Edited by ubonjoe

I am sure one of our resident experts will give the the exact rule but as I understand from previous posts the 800,000 baht has to be in the thai bank for three months on the first application only, subsequent renewals do not need to be seasoned and this has been reported by a number of tv members. Perhaps another visit to immigration with someone who speaks Thai and explain you are enquiring about renewing your retirement extension, not applying for your first one may clarify the situation for you.

When your extension is nearly finished get a Tourist Visa from a nearby Consulate.

With at least 21 days remaining on that go to Immigration and get it changed to a Non O Visa . (2,000 Baht)

With about 3 weeks left on that your money will have been in the bank fore more than 3 months. Apply for the Retirement 12 months extension again. If you can get a single entry Non O Visa that would be even better as it would cut out the need for the upgrade.

It,s a bit rough on you but that is the official rule.

I am sure one of our resident experts will give the the exact rule but as I understand from previous posts the 800,000 baht has to be in the thai bank for three months on the first application only, subsequent renewals do not need to be seasoned and this has been reported by a number of tv members. Perhaps another visit to immigration with someone who speaks Thai and explain you are enquiring about renewing your retirement extension, not applying for your first one may clarify the situation for you.

The rules clearly say 3 months is required for all extensions not just the first.

Some immigration offices are letting people get by with out it after the first application. But you can't ever be sure that it will always be the case.

Some immigration offices are letting people get by with out it after the first application. But you can't ever be sure that it will always be the case.

Yes that makes sense, TIT and different offices have different interpretations, shame for the poster.

When your extension is nearly finished get a Tourist Visa from a nearby Consulate.

With at least 21 days remaining on that go to Immigration and get it changed to a Non O Visa . (2,000 Baht)

With about 3 weeks left on that your money will have been in the bank fore more than 3 months. Apply for the Retirement 12 months extension again. If you can get a single entry Non O Visa that would be even better as it would cut out the need for the upgrade.

thanks lite beer,i was thinking of going to penang(currently live on samui)but would really like to get a multiple entry tourist visa.Do you know what consulates/embassies are offering this service and do you know if there is money in thai bank account qualification?

Interesting point... If you are renewing a retirement visa, do your funds Have to be in a thai bank, or will a letter from the embassy confirming sufficient deposits in a bank in your own country work? My monthly income has now dropped a little below the 65,000 bhat per month, (due to the declining exchange rate for British pounds). Thus I will need to show a mix of income and capitol. It seems lunacy to transfer funds to a thai bank whilst the exchange rate is so poor.

Failing that, can a farang open an account in British pounds in a Thai bank, and leave the funds unconverted?

Interesting point... If you are renewing a retirement visa, do your funds Have to be in a thai bank, or will a letter from the embassy confirming sufficient deposits in a bank in your own country work? My monthly income has now dropped a little below the 65,000 bhat per month, (due to the declining exchange rate for British pounds). Thus I will need to show a mix of income and capitol. It seems lunacy to transfer funds to a thai bank whilst the exchange rate is so poor.

Failing that, can a farang open an account in British pounds in a Thai bank, and leave the funds unconverted?

i think the money has to be in thai baht in a savings account.

The general rule is that when using the COMBO method, you do not need to season the money for either a first or subsequent extension.

If using the 800K only, the general rule is that you always need to season the money for 3 months for the first extension, but some offices have adopted a policy of not requiring seasoning for subsequent extensions. I recently did such a non-seasoned subsequent extension at Jomtien with nary a comment. Several reports from there that this is their policy, not "letting people by" as a poster characterized it.

The general rule is that when using the COMBO method, you do not need to season the money for either a first or subsequent extension.

If using the 800K only, the general rule is that you always need to season the money for 3 months for the first extension, but some offices have adopted a policy of not requiring seasoning for subsequent extensions. I recently did such a non-seasoned subsequent extension at Jomtien with nary a comment. Several reports from there that this is their policy, not "letting people by" as a poster characterized it. Sorry to hear about the Phuket bad experience.

it must vary with each office,guess i was unlucky.

There have been reports of people doing it. The letter from the bank has to show the amount in baht. Of course this will depend upon the local immigration office whether they accept it or not.

thanks lite beer,i was thinking of going to penang(currently live on samui)but would really like to get a multiple entry tourist visa.Do you know what consulates/embassies are offering this service and do you know if there is money in thai bank account qualification?

Vientiane is the only consulate giving 2 entry tourist visas.

KL and Penang will issue multiple entry non-o's for marriage.

Vientiene , laos will issue a Double Entry Tourist Visa.

You should be able to get a Multi Entry Non O Visa based on your marriage. From KL or Penang. This would give you almost 15 months but would mean Visa runs every 90 days.

Or as Joe said, a one off extension for 60 days from Immigration to visit your Wife.

Personally I would go for the Retirement Extension again.

after being told by the office i was too late to season the money i asked about marriage visa.was told no problem just go to tax office fill out form pay equivalent years tax equal to 40,000 baht per month bring marraige licence,house book and ID of wife and then i not have to show money in bank,but this information was from same source that had originally said i did n't have to season money for retirement extension as it was my 2nd extension,only to change that when i visited today.

My g/f had previously gone to a higher officer there and asked about marriage visa requirements and was told i would have to provide proof of regular income from outside thailand and she would have to provide tax receipts.S o its very hard to know what really is what.

It has to be in a Thai bank.

Some members have reported having done this.

The higher officer is right. Proof of income from within Thailand has to be shown by tax documents, proof of income from abroad with a letter from your embassy staing your income.

Can be the income of you, your wife or combined that needs to be 40,000 a month total.

after being told by the office i was too late to season the money i asked about marriage visa.was told no problem just go to tax office fill out form pay equivalent years tax equal to 40,000 baht per month bring marraige licence,house book and ID of wife and then i not have to show money in bank,but this information was from same source that had originally said i did n't have to season money for retirement extension as it was my 2nd extension,only to change that when i visited today.

My g/f had previously gone to a higher officer there and asked about marriage visa requirements and was told i would have to provide proof of regular income from outside thailand and she would have to provide tax receipts.S o its very hard to know what really is what.

It can be yours or her income or both together.

There have been several reports of people paying tax for a year. Most had the their wife do it.

On the bright side of things, if you are denied an extension for seasoning reasons, it isn't the end of the world, just think of it as a travel opportunity. Malaysia and Laos can be very enjoyable destinations.

yes thats true,i would really like the multi entry but laos is such a hike from samui.Do you know what docs i would need e.g. bank book up to date,passport photos,resident certificate from samui immigration stating my address in thailand,and do i have to front up to consulate/embassy more than 21 days before expiry of retirement ext.

On the bright side of things, if you are denied an extension for seasoning reasons, it isn't the end of the world, just think of it as a travel opportunity. Malaysia and Laos can be very enjoyable destinations.

yes thats true,i would really like the multi entry but laos is such a hike from samui.Do you know what docs i would need e.g. bank book up to date,passport photos,resident certificate from samui immigration stating my address in thailand,and do i have to front up to consulate/embassy more than 21 days before expiry of retirement ext.

For a tourist visa in Vientiane all you need is your passport, photos and copy of passport photo page.

For a multiple entry non-o for marriage from Penang all the good results I have seen were using an agent.

Suggest you contact the following guest house that can do the job. They were reccomended by several members that got a non-o and they answer emails quickly.

Link: http://www.banananewguesthouse.com/

ubonjoe i have contacted guest house in penang re tourist o visa and am waiting their reply.with regards vientiane,if applying for a multiple entry tourist o visa can you tell me what docs.are necessary,and do you need to show thai bank a/c and how much money in the a/c you have to have.My g/f do not have marraige cert. yet.Still have to go to embassy in BKK for stat dec.

samuibeachcomber, if you have any foreign income at all -- pension, interest, dividends, whatever -- use that to get the embassy letter and combine it with money in the bank to make a total of 800k. In this case, ie with the combination of income and bank account, the money does not have to be in the bank for three months before the application date.

--

Maestro

Maestro, that is a good suggestion.

I have a question on that though.

Supposing you could only claim a very SMALL amount of dividend income (for example 50K baht). Would your logic still hold with producing a letter showing an amount of income that SMALL in relation to the needed 800K?

It’s difficult to say, might depend on how the immigration officer feels on that day. I’ve seen this question asked before, without an answer. Let’s hear from those who did the combination method and see who used the lowest income amount.

--

Maestro

In this case, ie with the combination of income and bank account, the money does not have to be in the bank for three months before the application date.

Yep, them's the rules. But, always expect the unexpected. Remember this recent post Here:

I was asked at my last retirement extension renewal at Suan Phlu using the bank and income method that I will have to have money in the bank three months prior to renewal in 2009 - that is after 19 years of retirement extensions.

Or maybe this means them rules are achangin'.

Or maybe his income level was below that unstated threshold for the combo method........